Genre Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by John Ward, Aug 18, 2017.

1. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What bugs you about LitRPG? I'm reading my 15th book (I think) since I started following the genre. Nothing bugs me so much that I'll stop reading a book, but there are things that bug me.

Forced log-outs: This one seems to pop up rather frequently. It goes along the lines of "You've been playing for X number of hours. Go take a potty break." I get why it's in there and it makes sense, but I still think there are better ways to spend your word count than to tell me someone has to take a crap.

Excessive Crunchiness: I really don't need to know how many points of damage every single blow deals.

Alien Overlords: This one depends entirely on the execution, but I've seen enough bad iterations that I'm starting to sour on this concept.

What about you? Is there anything about the genre that sets your teeth on edge?

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I do this, but I also have MUD-like descriptors that show increases in damage - ie progression.

Very interested in hearing more thoughts on the subject!

3. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Too many character viewpoints* is a turn off, plus mind-numbingly long combat scenes*.

I can't think of any LitRPG tropes specifically. I guess I like them all. =P

*Scout (Blades VR Book 1) by Terry Schott
    *Codename: Freedom by Apollos Thorne (You know I still love ya!)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Naming conventions for Title / Subtitle / Series!

Examples...

Rapidplay: The Gamemaster's Gambit 1 (A litRPG series)

This one, I would do...

Title: Rapidplay
    Subtitle: LitRPG Novel
    Series: The Gamemaster's Gambit

So...Rapidplay: a LitRPG Novel (The Gamemaster's Gambit)

The Glitch Fiends (LitRPG): Part 2 (Hell's Glitch Book 3)

This one is just confusing!

How about...

The Glitch Fiends Part 2: a LitRPG Saga (Hell's Glitch Book 3)

Better?

Or, even better...

Original Title: a LitRPG Saga (Hell's Glitch Book 3)

Having the part two and book three is too many numbers? I dunno. Maybe the books are tied closely together? Would they have been better as a single book?

Pacing is VERY important in novels. I'm digressing from the main topic of discussion for tonight.

Next is one that has it right (IMHO!)

SHARDS OF REALITY: A LitRPG Adventure (Enter the Realm Book 1)
    Aug 22, 2017

We have the name of this book, the sub-title to shelve it correctly / quickly in the reader's mind, and the series name in parenthesis with the book number.

He's coming from other genres, and I believe he has a lot of experience. An author to watch this summer, I'm sure.

Another good one...

The Forgotten Throne: A LitRPG Serial (Royaume Online Book 1)
    Jun 9, 2017
    by Elliot Burns

Viridian Gate Online: The Jade Lord: A litRPG Adventure (The Viridian Gate Archives Book 3)

This one confuses me. Is Viridian Gate Online the series of is The Viridian Gate Archives the series? It's like it has two series names?

Better as...

The Jade Lord: A LitRPG Adventure (Viridian Gate Online)

Of course, there are exceptions to the rules! Take, for example, Mr. Bagwell.

Awaken Online: Precipice
    Mar 26, 2017
    by Travis Bagwell

He has the series name first followed by the current book title but no series book numbers. Also, his cover is waaaay-off what's common in the market, but this worked out for him. He pulled it off wonderfully. There's a lot to study about the two novels Mr. Bagwell has published so far.

I'm not posting this to beat up on any particular author, but to give my opinions!

Thoughts? Reactions? Giphy?

Jay, Tom Gallier and Felicity Weiss like this.
  5. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It really just depends on how it's done. Some people are able to pull it off in a way that doesn't bother me. Other times, I find myself skipping pages. I wish I could figure out the exact mechanics of why I don't mind some and can't stand others.

Tom Gallier and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really? How many is too many for you? Do you have issues with too many character viewpoints in other genres or just LitRPG?

7. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just added a new pet peeve: Book titles that are so insecure that they have to explicitly state LitRPG as part of the title. Yes, I understand it's a marketing and a search algorithm thing.

The only thing I ask is that none of you bring this comment up to me when I publish my first book: True Confessions of a LitRPG Reader, told in LitRPG Format, written by Lit RPG with a forward by the Grandmother of the Tunisian LitRPG Movement.

Nyarlanotep and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    However many was in Scout Blade VR, sorry I don't recall the number. If other genres had this many viewpoints, this peeve would cross over to those as well.

9. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you've never read George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (also known as Game of Thrones).

10. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    #1 pet peeve. Authors who may use too many game mechanic references in order to add filler to the book. Some authors put in so many character sheet views, updates to skill levels, and alerts for each game event that it gets tedious to read. Sometimes the story barely progresses but a whole book is created. And yes, I am mostly refering to one major offender. I like the game mechanics, and want to see them in summary. But I want the story line to progress further than it could in a one day D&D session.

Tom Gallier likes this.
  11. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know who you're talking about, but you're right. That stuff does balloon page count. I saw an author talking about word counts for his books on Facebook and the one book that he was talking about would have been at least 100 pages shorter if it weren't for all of the tables and stats that he includes.

Riley Mercer and Tom Gallier like this.
  12. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol I feel that one author does it to excess. You may not have read his books yet. And it is my personal opinion which I probably didn't need to share. It is a big peeve of mine though..... :)

13. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are a lot of authors who do this enough to bug me. I'm not sure I want to read one who does it to 'excess'. I might end up throwing my Kindle against the wall.

14. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol since I am writing about a party of 4 I am going to have to be very careful of this myself. Enough to be engaging and give the reader an RPG rush but not go overboard

15. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hah, I actually have read the series. I see what you are saying. I may have skimmed or skipped whole chapters to get to the story lines I wanted to read right. that. instant.
    Something I've noticed in reviews is people seem to be offended when a LitRPG resembles WoW too much. I'm not bothered by it : )

Tom Gallier likes this.
  16. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Crap. Now, I have to change the name of that one town to something other than Ironforge. I know! Maybe Molten Core? Oh crap. Never mind.

17. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think specifically on this one I have to disagree I think this is an excellent marketing trick it identifies itself as being part of a series and then gives a title that makes you think it can almost be used as a way to focus the whole book through a lense if you want not only that but so far his 2 titles are clear enough to not be confusing but they also give the title a hint of an intellectual feel.

As for the covers I think they give the books an air of professionally that the current titles dont have. The covers have a clean modern minimalist artstyle that gives it a hint of thought provokingness when put in context with the book and title all of this would really clash if the book was written any differently then it was. Atleast to me the book came off as a little bit like the later enders game books with a few ideas from the author and some philosophy affecting the story of a book which is aided by the art and title giving it an overall intellectual feel.

As a side not I actualy think the current cover art is bad marketing as it gives it a less professional feel while I wont go in depth on why I feel this suffice it to say characters looking at you(often with nothing covering there head) gives the cover a certain feel that I think dosent go nearly as well with the genre as a more minimalist object focused art style some covers i do like: feedback loop, continue online, awaken online, the land, and emerillia

18. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totaly agree with this one I also dont like really long viewpoints because it tempts me to skip and miss the story im curious to hear if you have read either the Super Powerds series or demons of astlan as they are the two books that not only fix this problem for me but enhance the book with switching

Tom Gallier likes this.
  19. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For me its two things 1) stupid overarching objectives somehow only the MC is destined to complete for example the chess set in way of the shamen this stems from my preference of books to not have destined or savior MCs that probably developed as a result of me reading wayy to much mediocre epic fantasy

2) something i noticed gets done that just makes the charicter into a mary/marty sue when a bunch of people in a book start saying well thats just him hes a wierd one but his ideas always work or something along those lines if a book does that too much its often a sign to quit for me.
    3)
    To much deus ex machina when the charicter seems to be saying ohh this is a rare drop every other sentence and not because hes high level or this is a legendary quest thats super rare and like one in a million people get but somehow i got 50.

20. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ohh dangit your not calling it Online online True Confessions of a LitRPG Reader, told in LitRPG Format, written by Lit RPG with a forward by the Grandmother of the Tunisian LitRPG Movement;)