Gnomes Rule?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by John Ward, Sep 2, 2017.

1. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I keep seeing people reference 'Gnomes Rule' in various FB LitRPG groups. Are they saying that there is some implied or explicit piece of legislation that has to do with Gnomes? Is so, what is the rule? Or are they saying that Gnomes are great administrators and should be placed in charge of all things?

2. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've seen that a couple times in the last day or two. I wonder what's going on? I better go check the GDW (Gnome Dark Web) for conspiracies.

Alexis Keane and John Ward like this.
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty sure they're Kong fans. It's a running gag in his books - not a very GOOD one, but there nonetheless.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, I wasn't sure if your question was serious or not. It is a running gag in Kong books. I find it humorous :) I have an under-developed sense of humor, not refined at all :)

Alexis Keane likes this.
  5. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's a serious question. Well, I mean not like someone's going to die type serious, but I'm trying to understand it. I've read about 30% of the first Land book, but I guess I haven't stumbled onto the joke yet.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is also a sorta-kinda thing in WoW. But only if you play a gnome, which I never did because creepy much?

In our raid we joked that we had to sacrifice our gnome warlock before we had success with the boss.

7. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's interesting Felicity, i didn't know it was a reference to WoW, haven't played it.
    And it is touted alot on the internet but don't let the suspense kill you, it is just a catch phrase used in a few of his books in certain situations. Kind of humorous, though Facebook has kind of beaten it to death :)

Alexis Keane and Felicity Weiss like this.
  8. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Be a gnome, live in a zany hollow volcano home-land full of catapult elevators that launch people between floors into waiting nets that served as the inspiration for Apple suicide nets, go on an adventure through fantastical means like Submarine or Zeppelin, realize the story is set in a D&D universe, all your gnome homies start dying, all the tech critically fails in the worst possible way, get stranded on the moon or wherever with dragons/killer rabbits/cheese golems, die alone knowing some other inquisitive gnome is going to follow in your foot steps and die in exactly the same way as you and your comrades. The end.

Gnome stories are either fun or depressing, the Indian movies of Fantasy Fiction.

Alexis Keane and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  9. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I never got that gag, Gnomes are creepy buggers and no amount "aren't I cute" attempts would change that!!!

10. bwakul

bwakul Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi, After seeing this series all over the place, especially on facebook litRPG groups, I've been trying my best to get through the first Chaos Seeds novel, both audio and ebook. For the life of me I just cannot stay interested. I don't relate to the MC and know very little about him. Who he is, what motivates him. The storyline is dull.

I've been reading litRPG for a long time. From portal fantasy, to LMS, SAO and the Russian authors.

Should I tough it out? Does it get better? A lot of people on fb seem to think so.

And if not, what US authors would you recommend? I like good character development, not just a series of fights with goblins. I like stats but not ovruse. I like interesting little side stories and characters. I like strategy and interesting ways of getting out of what look like desperate situations.. You need to have a gift for writing good battles scenes. I love crafting. Horror is good, romance okay but not interested in erotica. I like it when writers come up with something different. Just read Super Sales for Super Heroes - it was a good spin on the genre.

So, should I continue with Chaos Seeds or do you have some other US or Commonwealth author recommendations?

Alexis Keane and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  11. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm. Given that I'd recommend Emerilia (the Trapped Mind Project is book 1), Ascend Online (Russian author but it's not a super Russian book), and Awaken Online.

Erinn, Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  12. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Way of the shaman is a good crafting series if you can get around the fact that the author is torturing his readers slowly

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  13. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought it referred to the Rein Poortvliet "Gnomes" books. That was some fantastic artwork, although I remember my mom getting upset because it had a couple pictures of topless gnome ladies.

14. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  15. bwakul

bwakul Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've ead Awaken Online, WoTS. Started Emerilia but couldn't get into it although I mean to try again.

What do you mean by Ascend Online not being "super Russian"? I quite like the Russian authors as I find they put a lot of emotion into their writing. Is this what you mean? Alterworld remains one of my favourites.

16. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You were asking specifically for US authors. So I figured you weren't looking for a Russian litRPG.

17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  18. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dont waste your time i a few of us on the fourm includeing myself have ragequit the series out of annoyance for the MC his books arent really worth reading and they certanly dont get better

19. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ok so here are a few
    sigil online: this isnt a verry popular series but i quite like it does some interesting stuff thats kinda new

awaken online

Sufficently Advanced Magic: While its not technecaly LitRPG i feel it has enough of a litRPG feel and you could clasify the game world as the towers if you like

20. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just marathoned this book (Binge doesn't do the length justice). It is amazing and walks the line of LitRPG and True High Fantasy. The author took a lot of inspiration from Bravely Default, and it shows.