Gold fever

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Tom Gallier, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've hoarded a little gold, and I think I might go shopping his weekend. You know, spread the love and get some cool magical items.

VRRanger and Felicity Weiss like this.
  2. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Regan should have been shot then shot again for that trickle down econ BS.. 35-40 years later and where has it gotten us? Middle class is going the way of the dodo bird.. The rich are richer and the poor.. well the poor are still poor. Sigh.. Nvm... kinda hit one of my buttons. BTW Republican here :p

VRRanger likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, if corporations are sitting on $2+ TRILLION in the bank, a tax cut ain't gonna cause them to start "investing" that money on the poor. Don't get me started! Haha.

I should set up some more shops soon. Been so busy with getting books ready again.

VRRanger likes this.
  4. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Giving the rich more money has NEVER trickled down to the rest of us. Greed TRUMPS all. Pun intended.

5. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The root of that is deficit spending. Don't think that will ever come under control.

Wolfgarr likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let's just cash in all the money for gold... oh, wait...

Wolfgarr likes this.
  7. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That actually works for storage of purchasing power. It's a much better idea than savings accounts.

A few years ago I was in an active Libertarian phase, so, I had been reading Rothbard, Hazlitt, Von Mises, and Bastiat. I really think everyone should read https://www.mises.org/library/economics-one-lesson by Hazlitt. It's an excellent work on economics in easy to understand language, and it can be downloaded for free from the link.

VRRanger and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    did the exact opposite of that when we went off the gold stander-ed. LMAO traded gold for Fiat money thats not worth the cost to print it....

As it is now.. With the majority of the worlds currency's being Fiat.. (based on nothing more than perceived value) It is no wonder that when the US econ tanked the rest of the world took a bath also. There will be a day when people finaly wake up to the fact their money is worthless. That day and the years that follow it will make the Great depression of the 30's look like a trip to the beach on a nice sunny day. Just hope i am not around when that happens..

A note.. A Haircut is coming ..The question is if there will be any skin left on the scalp after things settle down

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The thing about the 20th century Great Depression was that people (in general) were better at taking care of themselves. Right now, today, people will go nuts when things get tough.

Seagrim and Wolfgarr like this.
  10. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Forgot to mention, there is a reason why that's happening. Corporations before the last big crash (Bush/Obama) kept far less cash on hand and would use short term bank loans for covering their payrolls or expenses. The interest cost of the loan was better for them than the loss that occurred from having cash on hand that wasn't doing something for the company. However, when the crash occurred, several major corps had a hard time making their payroll and paying bills when the banks couldn't do the short term loans. Rather than run the risk of the loss of face that would happen from payroll checks or expense checks bouncing, they became more proactive in keeping cash available to cover expenses and rely less on short term loans.

Paul Bellow and Wolfgarr like this.
  11. Wolfgarr

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Here in the US yes.. 3rd world countries will have a field day. I do not think first world countries will survive a major monetary collapse.. Not in their current state. People fighting and killing each other for food will destabilize and overturn governments. Sure the US military has stockpiles..But that will only last so long.. What happens when those stockpiles run dry and we still don't have people working the farms... OH wait.. 99% of all farming is done with machines by big corporations. No gas means no food.. How about pumping water? I guess area's that can will resort to flood irrigation...But those area's are pretty limited.

I grew up on a farm/ranch.. Always made me laugh when i described the birthing process for cows to people. Made some nearly puke.. Too many people have ZERO idea how their food reaches their tables. You hand them a chicken and they wouldn't know how to prepare it.

We live in a world..Where people won't touch a apple because it has a slight blemish on its skin.. Where people will throw away perfectly good food because it does not look perfect. Sad...

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Man, we really shoulda convicted some of those Banker Scammers, huh? ;)

Still, they're holding on WAY too much of the wealth.

If you look at the great depression, the top 1% owned a lot of the wealth. That changed afterward, but now we're back to where we were with the top 1% owning everything.

They don't need more. Heh.

I see what you're saying, though. I'm just anti-corporation - BEFORE they take over the role of governments around the world.

13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can you imagine if EBT cards stop working and Walmart doesn't fill up with food every week? Craziness.

We're so close to utter destruction. All you have to do is look at ROME and their fall.

I've been wanting to learn how to kill/gut a chicken and other small animals...just in case.

14. Wolfgarr

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't need to imagin anything.. It has happened.
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...wn-obama-voters-rage-and-threaten-mass-riots/

As for chickens.. They be simple. Take a hatchet. chop its head off lol. (funny how they run around headless) or simply wring its neck (grab and twist head)
    Pluck feathers, (can be done by dropping into a pot of boiling water..but this is messy) Plucking by hand is best. Gut, Save heart, etc.
    Last step.. Cook.

(tip.. Save feathers..Enough of them makes a good pillow..Or can be used for fletching on arrows)
    You will want to leave the feathers out in the sun to kill off bugs/mites etc for a day though...

Chickens (freerange) and rabbits are really good sources of meat, If you live near a body of water then fish is another option. Corn takes a lot of effort to grow..Forget about
    melons and lettuce..unless you have a easy source of water. They require a LOT of water. Greenbeans and peas are really good choices and so are cherry tomato's and potato's.

Be aware..If you live in a urban area..You will be screwed.. The food will be long gone before it is ripe and more than likely you will be attacked for what you have.

ETC.. Like i said.. I don't wish to be around for this..

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, my grandparents bought 100 chicks every Spring. Some of them ended up as dinner.

I'm working toward buying a big chunk of land somewhere...

Would definitely be a brave new world. You're right that the poor (third world) are better equipped for a worldwide panic.

Anyone want to talk Bitcoin and cryptocurrency? ;)

I think the government will jump on that and have their own official e-money...no more cash. Much easier to track and trace...

Scary times. Then again, I'm a writer, and I'm always embellishing or looking at all the possible outcomes. Heh.

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And on the chickens - I know it's relatively easy, but I've NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. Heh. I want practice.

Then again, if I were hungry, I'm sure I'd come up with what to do?

What was that movie where the guy got attacked by a bear in 18th century (?) America and left for dead. There's one scene where he captures a bird, and he's so hungry he just eats it raw!

17. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Three days. They've figured it out that the food inside a big city will last three days. So, the US, at any one point and time, is three days from collapse.

How much of the US economy is in cash? Most of it is just little blips on a computer, they monitor every penny that is pulled out of the e-system. It's already there, with just a few hunks of paper to keep people from realizing.

You have no idea. Rothbard wrote a nice book on the banks, detailing exactly how it works. Al Capone was an altar boy next to bankers. Think the biggest three-card monte scam ever and everyone is the rube.

This is what I find funny! The Corps and the Government are partners, like Bonnie and Clyde. It's just a scam to think they're separate things or at odds with each other.

"Wait, shouldn't you be worried about posting this kind of stuff on the internet?"
    "Naah, the CIA AIs know I'm on their side, we're cool"
    "WHAT? Are you serious?"
    "Pretend it's a joke, you'll sleep better at night."

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Wolfgarr

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Movie was the revenant.. About Hugh Glass . Should check out the info on the guy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revenant_(2015_film)

As for the 3 days thing.... I don't see it.. Day 2 the store shelves are going to be empty with all the panic buying.. By late afternoon there will be mass riots

Lot of people don't even keep food in their houses....... let alone a 30 day supply just incase..

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's very common in Germany. They occasionally remind the public to have XX days worth of food and water on hand.

And, yeah, The Revenant. I mean, society could slip back that far? Look at the "Dark Ages"...

Wolfgarr likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: