Golems

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Chard, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or so we postulate. Where is the evidence that moving faster does not affect the rate of nuclear decay? Or that another effect isn't in play that we do not yet know about? Its nothing less than a theory, its certainly not a fact. There are no facts in science, only observations, theories and interpretations.

2. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We probably shouldn't discuss climate change, or the need to hire several million people to rake every forest in the US every year not to mention finding transportation and figuring out where to dumb the organic material, that could get political.

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think there's been a miscommunication. Yes they are called "scientific theories", but that does not mean that they aren't repeatable facts. Gravity is a scientific theory. Your computer, and your car are scientific theories. If you can observe and verify it in carefully controlled conditions repeatedly in many places, it is scientific theory. To the everyone else on earth, this is known as a fact, because we're not a bunch of what if pendants to the extent that scientists are. Like the joke about the mathematician, the engineer, and the beautiful woman.

Traveling at speed does have relativistic effects. This has been tested and verified many times over by many people. It is largely useless at the every day speeds we experience but is measurable none the less, and follows a pattern repeatedly suggesting that as it approaches the speed of light it will increase drastically relative to the stationary observer. So while we might not have the data at light speed, it's still a repeatable fact that speed has an effect relativistically on things.

Can there be other factors? Certainly, but to call it "just a theory" is like saying that masks don't help prevent airborn viral spread because it's "just a theory".

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The idea that masks works against covid is a theory, one backed up by observations, but ultimately it is hardly proven to what extent it has an effect or whether its worth it to enforce its use on a society wide scale given the inevitable backlash. That said, wear a goddamm mask because they clearly have some effect, leave it to the scientists to discuss the why, the how and the when of it.

A computer is a piece of hardware that runs software, its not a scientific theory, though it is admittedly based on them.

My point wasn't that relativism is necesarily wrong, my problem is more that when we start treating scientific theory and interpretations as fact we start looking for observations that validate our preconceptions rather than looking at the facts as a whole. Take dark matter, negative energy or the always popular multiverse interpretation of quantum physics. These are theories that try to close the holes in popular science, but there is little to no evidence that they are factual, instead they are placebos serving in place of simply serving the bitter pill named "we don't know".

I never said relativism was just a theory, I said it was nothing less than a theory. Wording matters. Theory backed by observation is as close to hard science as it gets.

I will make more efforts to make my answers seem less serious in the future. :)

5. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Technically Dark Matter and Dark Energy are Hypothesis not a Theory.

Every Scientific Theory starts as a Hypothesis. A scientific hypothesis is a suggested solution for an unexplained occurrence that doesn't fit into a currently accepted scientific theory. In other words, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a hypothesis is an idea that hasn't been proven yet.

A Scientific Theory is a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation: example, the Scientific Theory of Evolution.

Many people get the two confused or use them wrong when it comes to Scientific terms and uses.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are right my bad. Hypothesis not theory :)

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m still banking on my theory that If Caulder finds his way back from death it will be through the Sepulcher.

AndyJ likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, you coukd have made the above discussion more Relevant by an Analog of a Golem throwing a 12” stone.

How fast does a Golem need to throw a 12” boulder in order for it to pass through a an 11 13/16” hole in a wood wall without splitting the wood? How much of the wood wall is carbonized as a result from the velocity of the thrown stone heating the surrounding air?

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What does Ricther need in order to make a dark Golem?

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I reckon he could already be undead. This could be read as foreshadowing.

As it follows this part.

The Mausoleum guardian was still alive at the end of Richter's rampage.

With Caulder's bones being gone, I fear the eldritch abomination that is Caulder is still out there. Not in a good way, but as something Richter will have to slay to give peace.

Edit: Also i'm pretty sure this has been subtly changed, I do not remember Sion saying that the Mausoleum guardian was still alive originally.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not that fast.

A minor rank level 100 golem could throw a rock

3 * 10 + 3 * 100 = 330 feet or roughly 100 meters. It would be outranged by nearly any archer or slinger, and sprites would make short work of it long before it could close to firing range at its lumbering 165 feet (50 meters) per minute. The question is whether the bugbears can put down enough ranged damage to take it down, they may very well need to get closer to get their mages in range.

With a base attack of 60 it would have
    3 * 60 + 100 = 280 attack which is very impressive. I don't think it has other base modifiers though, so its unlikely to seriously damage a palisade, let alone a stone wall, in one shot. Of course it doesn't have to as it can summon a boulder to throw every four minutes while its stamina last. As improvised siege weaponry goes, that is not bad at all.

12. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Kinda funny how that went off on a tangent. Honestly i was thinking more conspiracy theory than scientific theory, when i wrote that.

13. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I Posted this a while back.

Johan, Dragon and Captain BlackJack like this.
  14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The memetic flesh might do wonders for a fleshless Caulder.

I’m not so sure that sloth won’t be able to deal some damage to any palisades. Considering he hurled a rock clean through one Wurm and killed the second one it hit. He will only get stronger with leveling up. I’m not sure what the next two Golems will be made from but considering Golems are known for brute strength three golems hurling rocks will take its toll.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter will need to have some kind of basket or bag made for his Golems. Then that could be loaded with the optimal throwing stones for the golems. That would be way better then needing to wait several minutes to hurl another stone.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think he will need to claim death servant. Caulders sworn oath should be all Ricther needs for Caulder to serve him.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It will do a ton of damage. An attack of 280 is enough to put down most creatures in one strike. But a reinforced palisade is going to take a lot of 280 damage hits before a significant breach is made, its not the same as the wall of a house.

Think something like this would probably be a few thousand damage. Give the golem an hour or two and it will create a breach at least that big.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Reinforced Palisades????

Where did that come from? Next thing you will be giving them shielded walls backed by ice mages continually making ice walls with water mages redirecting rivers for extra ice. Then you will have some alchemist with the ability to transform ice to steel. Then the bugbears and goblins will step out with high powered laser weapons that make things explode.

Reinforced palisades.........

Ricther might as well retire.

Even with all the things given to him by AK he will never be capable of driving of the Goblin and Bugbears.

This really just seems odd to me. A golem as my understanding has it is feared in the land because they are such powerhouses. Yet you don’t think a golem has the ability to do any damage to a palisade because the archers would drop it before it ever gets in range? I guess Ricther is lucky he has a Wurm to do all the things a Golem can’t do.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Reinforced in comparison with the trash palisade in the video, not reinforced with magic or stone. That's a single layer of beams, but I don't think the bugbears would be satisfied with that for anything bigger than a temporary camp. We know they have solid training, organisation and intelligence.

Figures they at least reinforce with crossbeams if not a second layer with dirt in between to absorb splinters and shit in case they are attacked by sprites. Or golems. Or siegeweapons. Or magic. Or giant trolls.

Richter won't take centerstage with the village to drive off the alliance, Aleron hasn't set up a scenario where that would make sense. The ashstalkers alone have hundreds of thousands of members and they are just one goblin tribe. A big one sure, but they are still just one part of the alliance. Richter will need allies of his own such as the kobolds, the dwarves, the woodelf kingdom, the sprites of the hearth tree, the southern sprite tribes, the numerous beastmen tribes that Grim'ault mentions, every other woodland tribe he can convince/pay off/ deceive into joining to have a shot at beating them. The alliance is playing for keeps and we know they have resources such as the bloodstone up their sleve.

Aleron started playing with diplomacy by having the Kindir join the village. No doubt the other minor tribes within the mist will as well as they have few other options (unless the kindir shared the salve, have some other type of immunity or forage underground). Richter needs to play on his strenght (and greatest weakness) of being an unknown with no ties other than the mostly neutral HM, basically the strongest faction in the forest (as far as we know anyway) to find allies who will at the very least fight for their own survival. The enemy of my genocidal psycho invader has every reason to become my friend.

Golems are fearsome when used right, not because they are OP in every way. A rockgolem is the epitome of a tank, it can withstand extremely powerful strikes suffering little to no damage due to its extremely high defense and it has significant attack as well. For a defender this thing is insane, it can break an enemy charge on its own with minimal support, it can hold a breach/entrance against any number of low-to-mid level foes and assuming it is positioned so that no foe can outrange it, could likely take out half a company of sprite archers on its own before going down if they decided that it had to go no matter the cost.

For an attacker or against a mobile foe its essentially a giant target. They'll focus fire on it till it goes down while staying out of its firing range.

No doubt there are other types of golems with different strengths and weaknesses that can serve far better in an attacking role.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, reconsidered how long it would take it to make a significant break in a single layer palisade as the one shown above. Probably wouldn't take it more than half a dozen shots before they could get through easily.