Growing metal nodes.

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ebony is one of the Heaviest Metals used for Weapons and Armour, so carrying some off might be tricky for a Kendir, even without it being heavily guarded.

Might also be best to start with Metals that they know they can actually Work with in the Smithie and collect them upwards from them in order of what they can Work with next upwards. Although still if they come across something that's too high to work with yet they should still grab it, although maybe not if it will cause them too much trouble doing so, they can most likely get some more again at a later date.

2. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Krom will always be the village smith. Richter can and should recruit professionals whenever possible. But Krom will be a Master smith soon enough. Recruiting smithing masters right now would create anarchy in the forge.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually he is decades from being a Master smith at his current growth rate. The main reason is that they lack the challenging blueprints a journeyman and adept needs. Instead he is stuck grinding the lowest level of smithing schematics in existence, the ones known to every village smith across the land. This means he gets very little skill exp for each completed work. Its a basic challenge system.

A new Master smith would not take the Job of Smith. Skill is less important than politics for said position.

4. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just like Caulder will always be the sergeant???? AK has proven that just about anyone can die. I also agree with Dragon that Krom will not be a master for quite a while. Look at all the leveling and bonuses that Richter gets...also the bonuses from creating core buildings and his enchanting is only level 50. There is absolutely no doubt that at least an adept level smith will come to the MV within the next 2 books.

5. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You might be right. But I doubt it. How many other important characters in the MV have died? I just don't imagine AK deciding to replaced Krom. Maybe an adept or master will visit for a while and teach Krom some enchantments, subskills, techniques, or schematics, but I don't think AK will replace Krom.

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would Richter replace Krom?

That would be a terribly shortsighted decision, looking solely at the benefit from skilllevel, rather than the true value of having someone you can trust in a key position. Krom has proven himself many times over, he is the smart choice for the position. Should a Master or Adept show up he would have to accept being subordinate. Many likely wouldn't mind, Jobs are management as much as they are crafting.

7. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In the Land, I get the impression that it would be insulting and highly unusual to ask a professional to work under someone less skilled than themselves.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wouldn't care about some ruffled feathers if I was Richter. Putting someone in charge based on their qualifications as a craftsman would be the right move in most situations. But this position is politically sensitive. Whoever controls the smithy controls the entire production of armor, weapons and ammunition. Its critical infrastructure, if someone I do not know and therefore cannot trust puts up a demand to take over as a nonnegotiable condition for service, i'd have to ask them to look elsewhere for a position.

Now i'd be open to a structure where Krom doesn't have as much of a say over the master smith himself, as well as other requests, but no way does a skill rank buy control over the village's military production.

Cire122 likes this.
  9. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suppose this is true. I completely agree that keeping Krom in his position is important from a security standpoint. I suppose if another smith was willing to work under him, regardless of their skill or mastery, Richter should jump at the opportunity. I find it more likely that he might negotiate some sort of treaty where a master smith from a dwarven clan may be given access to one of the main anvils as a part of some sort of trade agreement.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I also find it unlikely a true Master smith would agree to such a deal. Luckily there is dwarven standards to take into account. You need to be an enchanter as well to be acknowledged as a true master smith amongst them. I think most who have reached the peak as craftsmen have more driving them than money. The acknowledgment of the clans and their peers has to be a really big deal for a dwarf smith who gets this far.

hence

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  11. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good points.

12. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think what would draw a master would be the opportunity to learn enchants at the HOF. Krom has mentioned more than once that the enchants are jealously guarded. Perhaps a master would come work at the forge for a year as long as they get to learn enchants. It would be a win/win...master gets to learn a bunch of enchants maybe even some specific ones. The forge might get some new ones the master knows and finally the master would make master works and bring the HOF to 2nd lvl. Also I was not saying I think Krom will die but thinking that there is no way it could happen is a mistake...at least since we lost Caulder...He had to be in the top 5 of favorite characters

13. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Any new dwarven smith coming to the forge is gonna have their beard in a twist just from how the village is being run regardless. None of the things Krom listed when first talking about smithing for the village (pre core) are in effect since Richter got the bargain of a life time through... Well not so much trickery, as outlandish luck that others believed would never have happened.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My top five
    Alma
    Hisako
    Sion
    Sumiko
    Randolphus

Followed by
    Terrod and his bride - their combined storyline is what makes them a favorite of mine.
    Richter
    Krom
    Yoshi
    The necromancer (name escapes me)
    Caulder or maybe Shinecatcher here (I fully expect shinecatcher to become a top 5 favorite, but he lacks screen time)

Edit: This should be its own thread.

Johan and ShoughtLoud like this.
  15. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not to be dense, but could you explain what things Krom listed?

16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mining: Search fee (might still be in effect, but I think it got waived in light of their wages); Finders commission (got halved at least, based on what the dwarves were shouting, maybe further with Randy's negotiating skills)
    Actual Crafting: Smithing & Enchanting for free (which I assume were two different fees because they seem to set up their services like a hospital in the US); Teaching their skills and knowledge freely to other villagers.

Richter really did come out on top there. Gained 12 (2->14) skill levels in Trade from maybe 10 mins of asking questions and holding all the cards.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome to the world of trade, the better your bargaining position, the better the trade. Richter made the best kind of trade, the one where neither side felt cheated while still making money like there was no tomorrow.

18. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I see what you are saying. I think Richter just changed the nature of Krom's relationship with him from contracted worker to vassal.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sworn freeman or retainer is closer to his current status i'd say. He isn't a noble. The kindir king is a vassal, with sworn men of his own.

20. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dwarves won’t be a problem for Ricther. The loose clans that live above the ground only have chiefs. Ricther should be capable of uniting them. As loose clans they will likely have been targeted by the alliance first. After Ricther is introduced to them and they jointly rebuff the attacks of the alliance Ricther will know whom he can unit under his banner. It is conceivable that Krom would lead Ricthers RedStone mercenaries. As they are his kin and Ricther his lord things could fall into place for Ricther bestowing Rannok Din to Krom. Although Ricther could develop another dwarvin relationship that could unite all the loose tribes under Rannok Din. Either way Ricther will win.