Growing the Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by PokemonThug, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, hard no to the mausoleum.

Drasius likes this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We can build the mausoaleum in The kindr hamlet where undead are being spawned either way.. also lvl 1 building should not have any bonuses to inhibition magic.. esp if its lvl 0.

Its temporary! Why u no love undead?!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Because they are disgusting rotting corpses.

Pretty sure we'd all piss ourselves if we saw one.

Drasius likes this.
  4. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would you make a temporary core building anyway? You already know the land isn’t going to let richter power level his skills by reusing a magic core, their is going to be a mechanic to stop that kind of abuse. Probably a long cool down, you will also lose any and all effort that went into level it, even unintentional effort.

5. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Poor Beyan getting no help while Richto is getting super OP, I want other characters to get some love too.

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A lot of characters levelling with Richter. His companions all gain his quest exp. For Terrod especially that means several personal levels.

Beyan is a side character, a tiny, tiny fish. He might get a couple undead pets at best.

Mister Bill and Drasius like this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would agree he is a small fish in a big world created by AK. I just don’t know how small a fish he is. He is one of Ricthers original dungeon party members. He also created a key ingredient used in opening the portal to The Lichs realm. I know he wasn’t given authority over the Sepulcher but he is getting sent to see what he can learn there. I also expect him to make some type of important discovery there. Although Aleron could leave it a dead end for him like he has so many other quest. Personally I expect Beyan to play a large role with the sepulcher functionality and the defense of the village.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sounds likely.

I think he is a small fish because he currently isn't on the inside track to companionship, at least I don't think so. Krom for example has a path to the inner circle and relevance as more than a minor character.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Drasius and Andrew Lynas like this.
  9. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ? His pet had connection to the eldritch allowing it to activate the litch's telport bone, but that wasn't beyan's making/ doing, just plot/ koinky dink

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, I will go along with that. Aleron could have written around Beyans Pet. He could have used something else but he didn’t. As he wrote the story Beyans pet the decaemur knight was key to opening the portal. Don’t get me wrong Beyan isn’t a Hearth Mother, Krom, or Elora. Even so his story has been told, and he has been added to several parties. Beyan is also the only magic user of his type at the moment. I could name a whole lot of other characters that I would call minor characters before him. Personally I would just place him in the middle as a normal character.

If Beyan hadn’t reanimated the Decaemur knight they wouldn’t have had him there to be part of the spell.

11. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If they kept the body, he could have just used his own summon undead spell to activate the bone

His body was already a body of death so it shouldn't have degraded beyond use in the only half year Richter has been in the land

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn’t it be great for Ricther to be put through the ringer by the Imp. Then Z show Ricther how to create a portal. As Ricther creates the portal it opens up dumping him into a new lair of his dungeon.

You have created a new portal entrance to your dungeon.

Congratulations, you have created your first new doorway to your dungeon. Portal entrances are not only used to enter dungeons. Dungeon entrances are used by dungeons to trap new creatures and they also consume local ambient energies.

Congratulations, you have created a dungeon entrance! This entrance has been placed in the middle of the catacombs. Unfortunately there are very few creatures that travel these catacombs due to the extreme dangers of Monstrous giants that live there. There is also little to no ambient magic in these surroundings.

You have gained a new Entrance!

This entrance gives your dungeon a 10% chance of being invaded by a monstrous giant. Who knows what evil monsters lurk in the depths of the catacombs?

Prepare to defend your dungeon!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Dragon and Mister Bill like this.
  13. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Speaking of the Imp. Do other people wish that had been resolved when he met the imp in book 8 so the story could focus a bit more on the other plotlines. I dont want the imp to be relevent any more because it take space from more interesting things

Mister Bill and Drasius like this.
  14. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like this a lot. Plus maybe the dungeon could handle one giant on its own!

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Everyone that has been on this site knows I advocate for specific things.

One thing I think would truly help the dungeon grow is a river entrance. The river could diverge a side shoot into the dungeon feeding it. A river entrance chamber half flooded with the same type barbican he has in his original entrance. With the river rising up to the barbican like a castle wall. The river splashing right up against the barbican. Aquatic life forms are just as good as others feeding the dungeon sometimes maybe even better. With a little bit of singing rock inside the entrance walls it might get a bonus for luring creatures inside the dungeon.

Eventually it might grow enough to allow small ships to pass into the dungeon.

Inside the barbican Ricther could have a short range portal built. That way his ship could unload directly into the barbican itself and port the goods up to the main entrance barbican.

Ricthers dungeon does lay in a river peninsula. Shouldn’t it strive to mimic its surroundings?

16. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First off IMO that would be a waste of a portal unless the portal got an entrance out to the ocean or something. Secondly I think an entrance near/on a river nearby would be a very good idea. You’re right that all kinds of monsters could find their way inside that way and maybe the dungeon makes a part of the first level watery for ‘em.
    I don’t think another barbican is a good idea, though, because it’s kind of wasting a Room.
    Wait, on the portal, did you mean those ones you just touch, not a full on link by leylines Portal?

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Portals are very confusing here. In this case I was referring to the short range local portals that can be built. It would be a fabulous way to move goods from the river to the interior entrance of the village. I am of the opinion that Alerons idea of placing a barbican In the entrance room was genius. I would have one for every dungeon entrance. . As stated in the series it gives Ricther a strong security point with all things coming and going. With that defensive point he can protect his dungeon and his village. Adding a local portal there would allow for materials to be moved faster and more safely. If Ricthers village is besieged by anyone goods could still be received by the river. It would also allow for its own defense. I would agree that a ocean entrance would be awesome but a river entrance would be nice as well. Rivers do travel to oceans. Ricther might even be capable of using a confusing mist spell to hide the entrance. Wouldn’t that make one heck of a privateers hideout?

As far as wasting a room I’m not so sure about that. I have been under the belief that every entrance is an entrance room by its own right.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  18. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    AFAIK it was only for the portal that he built the barbican. If he had basically unlimited Rooms and unlimited funds then it would make sense, sure. Otherwise I don’t think it’s a good idea. It would save some labor, sure, but they have labor in spades and who knows how much energy it costs or whatever to portal things.

19. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let’s Not assume that a dungeon can create an entrance anywhere it wants in the world. The labyrinth itself is weird and can link dungeons together that are worlds apart but dungeons are not the labyrinth. So let’s instead assume that a dungeon has an area of influence in the world and can spawn entrances anywhere within that AOI. The ocean is a very long way from the mist village, so no ocean entrances are possible, at least not yet. As the dungeon grows so too would that AOI. So eventually it might be able a have that ocean entrance you want. By that time I figure the mists would already be reaching the oceans.

the barbican is not an entrance chamber and other than it’s use with the portal and dungeon defense, it is one of my favorite richter mis-calculations. He placed it in front of the entrance to help augment the barrier between the dungeon and the village. The dungeon is chaotic and the rooms will periodically shift around to other locations. So instead of augmenting the barrier it might eventually protect the chick coop, a lair, or even the entrance to the labyrinth.

on that note I think the idea of richter building a port inside the dungeon hilarious. Great idea till the dungeon shifts and suddenly all ships are trapped inside. Though I suppose it is possible the ocean/river entrance room could itself become a port. That would be stable but not nearly as funny.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  20. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good points. I think there are a few things to consider, though. Intent is a big thing and Richter intended for the barbican to be there at the entrance to protect the portal he built in it, a portal that probably gives free mana and such to the dungeon.
    Also, he built it on the first level, a level that started in a physical place in reality. Only later did the dungeon sort of join another plane and become something you couldn’t dig to.
    Lastly there’s Roswan and his job. He can keep tabs on the dungeon and influence it a lot. I think all of that means the barbican will protect the portal and it’ll all stay put by the entrance.

Captain BlackJack and Drasius like this.