Help me decide which to read next...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by WildAzazel, May 16, 2017.

?

Which should I read next?

1. The Land by Aleron Kong

36.4%
  2. Viridian Online by James A. Hunter

9.1%
  3. Delvers LLC by Blaise Corvin

36.4%
  4. Kingdom of Heaven by J.A. Cipriano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko

18.2%
  1. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've got about 3 books to listen to to be caught up with Alterworld and Way of the Shaman series and then I want to try one of these 5 series out. Problem is, I can't decide which one I want to try first. So... I'm gonna leave it to the whim of the community.

2. Elbryan

Elbryan Level 5 (Veteran) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, I've been listening to every litrpg audiobook available and I can honestly say that if it's made it to audiobook, it's probably pretty good. But I can make a list in order of IMHO, the best ones.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
    The Way of the Shaman/Start the Game/The Beginning - Vasily Mahanenko
    Opening Moves - Cosimo Yapp
    Project Daily Grind - Alexey Osadchuk
    The Weirdest Noob - Arthur Stone
    The Land - Aleron Kong
    Delvers - Blaise Corvin
    Critical Failures - Robert Bevan
    Video game plotline tester/Perimeter Defense - Michael Atamanov
    Awaken Online - Travis Bagwell
    Lions Quest - Michael-Scott Earle
    Sigil Online: Paragons - Jeff Sproul
    Alterworld - D. Rus
    NPC's - Drew Hayes
    Soulstone Awakening - JA Cipriano
    Viridian Gate Online - JA Hunter
    Patch 17 - G Akella
    Otherlife: Dreams - William d Arand
    Difficulty: Legendary Gregg Horlock
    Phantom Server - A Livadny
    Crucible Shard - Skyler Grant
    Level Zero - Jaron Lee knuth

This list isn't exhaustive but it is most of the ones I've listened to. They range from good to excellent, maybe a few on here you haven't heard about. Enjoy!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Land was a fun read. I enjoyed it.
    I read the skull king by JA Cipiano... it was lame. Ascend is a fun ride so far.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finished the Land book 1. I liked it. The last 2 hrs were better than the first 8 so I'm willing to continue. Almost 2 hours IN to Delvers and I'm already sucked into it. Tried reading a James Hunter and a Cipriano book and couldn't really get into either. I'm uncertain about Ascend now. I've read a chapter and while the writing is better than Cipriano and Hunter, there is something about it that is rubbing me the wrong way. I can't really place what it is. It's about to storm so I'll likely either go into reading mode or listening mode. @Jason tell me how far I should give Ascend before I give up on it or does it really pick up soon? I mean, the action is immediate, but I didn't have anything invested in the character to care that soon.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did some work on Human to make sure it didn't drag in the beginning or sag in the middle too much.

Writing the first in series is hard because you have to cram a lot of information into it. By book two, you should have the basics of the characters, world, and game-mechanics down. At that point, it's more about the character and story arcs - imho.

For the record, it's okay to like Aleron Kong's books. I won't think less of you! Haha. Seriously. I'm still not sure what he has against me, but whatever. I've got my own kingdom to build, a place for people like YOU.

Good luck on finals and what-not, btw!

6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, producing a quality audiobook is expensive! If the book's not selling well enough in ebook/print, they usually never make it that far.

7. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I got a 100 on one quiz, 95 on another, 86 on one and an 89 on my final. I am not doing the other 57 lessons so if i pass i pass if i fail i fail. Friday was rehearsals for my sister n laws wedding and sat was the wedding and today fathers day. i haven't had time to do them. I'm thinking having done the other 230 lessons and passed all the quizes and final exam, i should pass with a b. i'm fine with anything passing really. crap got hard and was making me curse. i start a new job wednesday so i'll get alot of listening to audio in during the day and writing at night once this semester is over. im taking the next one off.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As far as Kong goes, what has he said about you or your series?

9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nothing publicly, AFAIK.

I'd rather not go into it all.

Let bygones be bygones.

I'm facing the future.

[Some other witty quote...]

[​IMG]

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Busy man. Keep up the great work. I'm lucky I'm a hermit/bachelor, I guess? ;)

WildAzazel likes this.
  11. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you read End Online yet? I recently re-read the first book in the series, and skipped most of the RL scenes. Still enjoyable.

Side note. My power went out today and I legit paniced when I realized I had only a sliver of power left in my kindle. Charge your kindles people! Luckily the power came back on an hour or so later. Reading crisis averted.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    WildAzazel and Paul Bellow like this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You don't have the new Crank-Solar-Kindle? For shame! ;p

13. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    we were supposed to have storms tonight. i think they stopped 20 minutes from my house. i fully charged my phone and kindle in preparation.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  14. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have not read End Online yet. Who is it by?

Also, there is a new litrpg book out that apparently made the author a best seller. The Monster Spawn by Deckhard Davis. Anyone read it yet?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    D. Wolfin. At first, I was hardcore judging his writing, but then his story gripped me and didn't let me go. Fan4life was born. His series also happened to be the first LitRPG I read, while I was browsing for books to dl for free on a sketchy e-book site, so perhaps this colors my passion a bit.

I did go back and purchase his first book on amazon to support him, and his whole series is also available on KU.

16. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I scoped out the book and I think everyone should take the covetous orange flag with a grain of salt. So far, for this particular novel reviews are falling short. If you check out the category he put his book in, you can see how the author achieved the flag:

[​IMG]

Here's another example of clever category placement. The following LitRPG book came out by a new author and hit best seller. However, for the most part, the reviews were crucifying:

[​IMG]

Now, I'm not saying that gaming the category system is a bad thing; it's crafty and puts you in the public eye which is important for a writers success. Instead, look to the reviews. And get the free sample. And, like you have already done, check here to see if anyone's invested time and come up with something good to say.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Eden Redd likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Still, < #500 rank ain't shabby. Those cats aren't too off from what I see most LitRPG put into. Actually, I would agree more with the first one because it's in fiction not non-fiction like your second example.

What are they beating him up for in the reviews? Non-gamer LitRPG? I'm so nervous on book two!

Seagrim and Felicity Weiss like this.
  18. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like a good strategy if you are just looking for a lot of money and the title Best Seller to put on your future books. lol

Seagrim and Felicity Weiss like this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Best Seller titles help very little these days. When everyone's a Best Seller, no one's a best seller. Heh.

The big thing for some people is NY Times Best Seller or USA Today Best Seller...

To do those, you need to be out of KU - which is why you won't find some books in KU.

20. Kath_Os

Kath_Os Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have not read books that You mentioned in your questionnaire otherwise I can recommend very good book written in the genre LitRPG- "Fayroll" by A. Vasyliev.
    This story is about how the life of typical person whose existence didn't characterize as saturated, active or outstanding one was changed one day when the main character faced the virtual reality and got extraordinary skills. The plot of this book is really breathtaking and the manner of writing is easy-to-understand, moreover, there is very special sense of humor of the author which the reader can find in majority of replicas and descriptions of doings. Personally I really liked this book and I am sure You also will admire the journey around virtual reality of "Fayroll".