Hoopla and LitRPG

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Gryphon, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't seen this mentioned before, but if you're a LitRPG junkie, go to your local library, get a card, and sign up for Hoopla. Hoopla is a free app offered by libries that has no subscription and gets you access to one metric butt-ton of books, comics, audiobooks, movies, and cds.

This month alone I've listened to first first two books of the Slime Dungeons, Dungeon Born, More than a Game, and I just picked up Dungeon Maddness to listen to. I don't want to sound rude, but I would have never risked money on Slime Dungeon. If it wasn't for Hoopla, I'd have missed out on the entire dungeon core sub genre due to my own fears. The narrator made me fall in love with the work. As soon as I finished the audiobook, I picked up the second book. The next day after I bought it, The Dungeon's Town came out on the app and I devoured it.

All in all, if you haven't seen the app yet, give it a shot!

Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  2. PeterM99

PeterM99 Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't really looked at Hoopla because I've gotten so much good use out of Overdrive. Overdrive doesn't have any litrpg content that I've been able to find, though, so I'll definitely take a look.

Anyone who likes to read or listen to any genre of books, definitely check out the free download options from your library. Some will have Overdrive, some will have Hoopla, some will have both and there are probably other services I'm not familiar with. If you're eligible for a library card in more than one system - I can get a card in three different counties - it's very possible they each have a different selection.

And if you can't find any books you're interested in, most systems let you recommend books, as long as they're available for purchase through the system. In my experience most recommendations are purchased. Librarians love to get people books they enjoy.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  3. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just wanted to write a post about asking what the best "Dungeon Core" series is, and then I found this topic, FROM YESTERDAY, talking about something very similar.
    Unbelievable.

Anyway.. what is the best dungeon core book out there? The Dungeon Born/../Madness series is my favourite so far, now I am reading one called 'The Laboratory', that has some interesting ideas, just way too short for all that stuff that is happening in it. The slime dungeon one I did not read (yeah, same as you, OP) but there was another one which wasn't bad, but I can't recall the title. (it was about some dark god imprisoned in a gem with a succubus)

What else is there? I am thinking about writing a book that is practically a dungeon core / roguelike combination, and need further ideas.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's:
    The Divine Dungeon Series - Good
    The Dark Dungeon Series (succubus sex... ummm... series...) - Good
    A Living Dungeon - Good
    Down the deep blue hole - havent read
    The Dungeon Hive - havent read
    The Bound Dungeon - havent read
    The Wizard - havent read
    Dungeon Heart - Good
    The Slime Dungeon - Decent
    Reborn as a Dungeon Core - Decent
    The Laboratory - havent read
    I was reincarnated as a magic academy - meh, too OP

That's about it.
    I'm writing about a Dungeon Core too, blend of portal fic with dungeon fic and a nice magic system based on the states of matter/mana and Lifeforce/souls

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  5. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Woah, cheers, mate, that's a nice list. I expect to finish my current book by the end of this year (with some of the editing going to jan) so this time should be enough to do some research (i.e read all of these :) )

Alexis Keane likes this.
  6. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Happy to help someone writing the same sort of stories out :)
    I want to see this subset of the genre grow... maybe get a trademark scandal between DunLit and DungLit :p

Viergacht and Latetide like this.
  7. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I want to create a genre called Sellit ;)

Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.
  8. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol

Latetide likes this.
  9. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry for the side topics, I wanted to thank you for this. Very rarely, when I need to drive a lot in one go, I need something to occupy my brain (driving is extremely boring for me) so maybe this would be the solution.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Perhaps it should be noted that dungen core books fit into a larger genre of grand perspective books where the MC is an entity with a much larger usually detached perspective ie. bobiverse.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  11. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ah yes, my bad, I forgot about that one. Haven't read it but heard it's good

12. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    have you read ancient ruins I've been looking at it for a while and was wondering if its any good?

13. PeterM99

PeterM99 Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I liked the Ancient Dreams trilogy quite a bit. It’s more of a standard(ish) fantasy story with a Dungeon subplot than a pure dungeon story, but the story and characters are good and the dungeon elements are interesting. Definitely worth a look.

The Laboratory was pretty good, too. It reminded me of XCom in the way the AI had to choose between upgrades and the amount of time it all took, but that’s about as deep as it went with the dungeon stuff.

I wasn’t crazy about The Wizard. The story was good but the writing style was a bit off, for me. Like the author was trying too hard.

14. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read Divine DUngeon and I thought it was rather godawful. The dialog and exposition were clunky and the characters were weirdly "off".

Alexis Keane likes this.
  15. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it's pretty good, certainly enjoyable. I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I think you might.

16. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really? That's odd. I loved the book, then again I will overlook just about everything if there's good worldbuilding... I'm a total slut for interesting worlds...

17. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There were some good ideas in there, just not well executed.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  18. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I can see how it's not for everyone.

19. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm liking yours much more.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  20. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: