Hopelessly Drawn to This Type of Book

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Felicity Weiss, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What is the one trope or theme that will spur you to pick up a book, no matter how sketchy?

Mine is a love for anything having to do with elemental magic, specifically, it must feature air manipulation/powers. [plz no fart jokes >.<]

So, what do you tend to be hopelessly drawn to?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Halimah, Eden Redd and Matthew James like this.
  2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I plead the fifth....

3. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've always been a fan of the school outcast who seems weak but in reality is so OP that no one notices how OP until he 'awakens' a long lost power and punches his teacher in the face for being a dick. And then forces all the students to worship the ground he walks on because of his OPness.

Well partly. I do like the coming of age and discovering their potential at a school type scenario. I am a sucker for the character growth type stories. Like Breaking Bad, even that qualifies because he had a tangible learning / growth period. He went from a nerdy school teacher to a bad ass street chemist, and it seemed like every episode he was learning something more about himself. Usually not good things, and there was no anti hero there, he was just a bad dude, but that spiraling progression into the seedy underworld was amazingly well done.

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rogues, Halflings, D&D, humor, gaming...

Eden Redd likes this.
  5. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Small group and solo play for LitRPG stories, and begrudging heros. Not anti-heros, or heros who are lawful good (allowing them to be bureaucrats and therefore banally evil), but straight up "I wasn't even suppose to work today!" The characters from Clerks forced into an epic adventure with epic stakes, which they care about not at all, but the story refuses to let them walk away. Pineapple Express, or Matrim Cauthon from the Wheel of Time. The Guard with Don Cheadle is another one. Something about a character rolling their eyes at the universe they're stuck in makes me laugh.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  6. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You should give my book a try then. My MC is very much like that. Plenty of humor in it too. I basically turned Office Space into a game world haha.

Felicity Weiss and Tfish10065 like this.
  7. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's really hard to say what would be an overwhelming Trope for me. My taste in things is very eclectic. Sometimes to the point of freaking people out.

Sci-fi, Horror, Fantasy. Action can be a big one, also. Some Romance. Detective can be a big one too. I haven't binged on Occult/Supernatural/Conspiracy/Lunatic Fringe books in quite awhile. There's plenty of websites for that. Think I drive the NSA insane with some of my Google searches.

8. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Too many to list but dragons is high on the list.

I tend to obsess over things and then move on. I find romance and monsters also high on the list but I tend to stay away from mainstream stuff. I dont care if your biker boyfriend is a werebear and the mc wants to tame his heart but if he is part of a secret society and needs your womb to birth a savior and his cult needs to help.....color me interested.

9. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When mainstream is having a biker werebear romantic interest. *shakes head* I feel old.

Eden Redd likes this.
  10. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No no..don't feel old. I have been stuck on keeping up on trends that I feel something is mainstream when it explodes on the scene. Werebears have been big in the last..two years? It feels like a lifetime for me.

Dont listen to me...I'm tired.:confused:

11. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Uh... looking at my novel updates reading lists confirms that I am drawn to reincarnation and other world stories... :oops:

12. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you know someone who has a womb ripe for savior making?

13. PJC

PJC Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

57%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    OMFG...
    This exchange...I am laughing so hard my cat ran and hid...

I want to use this somewhere...can I steal this...?

14. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The exchange or your cat running and hiding due to laughter?

I guess it would be bonus points if there was a spit take or a nasal liquid eruption.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mine is multi dimensional travel incorporating both magic and sifi on different worlds in different degrees and demons.
    3 of my favorite series when it comes to these are
    1) Myth inc.
    Hilarious mystery esqu scifi and fantasy that somehow feels a bit like an episodic tv show with great characters that make reading the books feel like hanging out with close friends.
    2) Demons of Astlan
    Book I found recently that seems like someone took the lore from every tabletop RPG mixed it with other games and fantasy smashed them together and made something amazing.
    3) The Archimage wars
    hard to describe but some crazy mage wars with something like 12 different worlds each competing for 'ascension' a win state in which they kill all the other Archimages(world leaders and basic gods on there worlds) with there ability to alter reality by imagining it another way and thats just a small bit of what happens.

16. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've also read the demons of astlan. Been patiently waiting for the next one. You should try the "Daniel Black" series.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thinking about it read alice long and loved it but ive herd its really bad about harems and I dont like that in books :(

18. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is so me.

I have (in the past year or so) obsessed and binged on
    • every single fantasy novel featuring dragon riders I could find (and most were crap, but Mercedes Lackey's Joust series is awesome).
    • female military in space (basically Honor Harrington, but there are a few good other ones. Not always leaders of the military, there was a good series I can't remember about an ensign. I'm going to have to think on that because it probably has a sequel out by now).
    • magic schools (really into the Schooled in Magic series)
    • litRPG
    But for me, the book has to be incredible if the MC is male. I'm a lot more tolerant of crappy books if they have a well-written female protagonist, because it can be much harder to find well-written female MCs in good books in the genres I read.

19. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have an elfmaid obsession. :rolleyes: I love to read and write about their adventures in both LitRPG and fantasy. I like magic, and dragon riders, too. I like grimdark novels, too. I want lots of sex and violence in my books and movies. I like small groups (3 to 5) in LitRPG and fantasy. When it comes to SF, I prefer space opera. The Honor Harrington series is one of my favorites., but mostly I like space opera with adventure and quests. Space Fantasy?

I also read and write zombie books and urban fantasy. Mmm, zombies, vampires, and other creatures of the night are fun.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  20. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What makes a book irresistable to me? If the author page says By Stephen King. There's something about the way he portrays the characters in his stories that just gets me.

James G Patton likes this.