How to level the Smithy

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I 100 percent agree he needs to put those crystals all along his wall/ take them out of the chamber and re-use what he can, just that there is probably a better way to do it than gouging them out

2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Talking about resources he should be able to go and clear next lvl of catacombs.. he should be strong enough.. now is he versatile enough? Does he have all the needed spells etc.. maybe

But it seems like the rewards from such an endevour would be vast
    Also its super close to his PoP and should not take more than a few days?!..

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I thought the increased accuracy was due to the "Balanced" trait. But that doesn't match the effects from the first level of the research. Could be a higher level or just an error.

4. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, the problem there is he'd either enter into a war with the kobolds while also warring with the Basilisk Alliance on the surface. If he can manage to turn them to his side though they'd be a huge boon to his already present war, and for actually using the resources present in the vast underground caverns of the catacombs, seeing as very few of his current people have natural long range dark vision. Could be fixed with mist lights, but when more and more races pile in to the village there will surely be some who must live or perhaps prefer to live in the dark as well.

Putting all the benefits of allying /ruling aside (especially with the khan). Could he do it?

Most likely yes, though the cost would be big.
    There are just so many traps down there and false tunnels and floors and what not that a full on battle would almost never happen. The kobolds could just kite around shooting cheap shots and killing a few here and there for miles in tunnels that aren't wide enough for an army to march through in a battle formation, instead snaking along at maybe 4 or 5 abreast. Here's a quote from book 3

The next room was a natural cavern with multiple tunnels leading out of it. The most interesting thing was that the tunnels were of varying sizes. The smallest was only two feet in diameter. The largest was wide enough to drive a wagon through. Having no desire to be stuck in a small space, he decided to go with the flow. He walked down the largest tunnel. There were rocks randomly strewn along the floor. As he walked, his footsteps sounded muffled and faint even to him, proof that the magic of the sprite shoes was at work. Even so, he moved slowly so as to not break his Stealth.
    The tunnel twisted and turned like an epileptic snake. The curvature was so severe that Richter could rarely see more than ten yards ahead of him. As he turned what must have been the fiftieth bend, a flash of red caught his eye. A two-inch circle glowed under the dirt of the floor. Richter froze, even his breath catching in his chest. He focused on expanding his senses, checking each in turn.

So, if he got his heavy hard pipe hittin squad together and the Hearth Mother to boot, "Could they overcome the kobold in the first level of the catacombs?" Yeah sure, but it would take a long, long time that they don't have given the other war.

Now if he found a way to make a Kobold a companion from that level, then let them wear the mapping ring, that could cut down on the trial and error quite significantly. As could having Sumiko or the Hearth Mother charm some kobolds and draw maps like he did, though they could have them at it for hours. Zarr and quasea would be worth their weight in gold down there, and all the companions minus Terrod wouldn't be too bad to have around either. Randy probably has some stealth that works against dark vision too.

So yeah doable. But they'd leave the village up top defenseless against powerful foes attacking from up there. Not worth the potential reward for a week of killing kobolds while their front gate is getting bashed in. After however...

5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would start with smelter I and II, and even III-IV if it could be done for a reasonable amount. 10% faster smithing is the most valuable boost for the village and smithy right now. It increases the number of quality weapons and armor that can be produced for the growing village forces and trade-agreements. It also increases the rate that the smiths will be working, which will help them level faster.

After that, I would get at least one more level of tool quality because I assume the smiths will also level faster if they are producing better quality weapons. May also let the highest level smiths produce a few more masterworks.

Next, I would focus on alloys, again because it helps the whole village immediately and would probably help the smiths level faster.

If they do this they will have laid solid groundwork for the smithy to grow towards producing masterwork level weapons and armor. If the goal was to reach level 2 as fast as possible, I would institute a policy that anyone who reaches adept should shift their focus solely towards making anything masterwork as fast as possible, likely arrowheads or daggers or something simple like that.

If they wanted to put all of their research effort towards the smithy, the next I would pick is increasing the chance of learning enchantments.

Cire122 and ShoughtLoud like this.
  6. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's a very optimistic assessment on the feasibility of invading the kobolds with the current forces. Even if HM brings her 300 man strong personal warband, that would give them no more than 500-700 men.

Here is how I see the disadvantages and advantages of the two sides.
    1) Numbers:

Richter: 200 men and maybe another 500 can be raised in an emergency, but they would be untrained militia at best.
    HM: 300 men in her personal Warband, the full scale of her military might is unknown.
    The united kobold clans: Tens of thousands.
    Kobolds have an overwhelming advantage, they could lose the equivalent of Richter's entire population in a single battle and still have a victory.

2) Gear
    There is no question the allies have better gear than the average kobold grunt.
    Richter has a clear advantage here.

3) Levels and skills
    Given that we have seen so far Richter's side probably has a higher average level. On the other hand there could be elite companies amongst the kobolds, we know they have some heavy hitters.

I can't say either side has a clear advantage.

4) Terrain

Most of the fighting would be below ground meaning largescale spells are mostly out and there simply isn't space for formations or bowmen in most places. Even healers would have a hard time. The kobolds on the other hand have intimate knowledge of the tunnels and they have tunnelcrawling cavalry that would be able to move far faster than Richter's forces.

Traps are also a major concern, a collapsible tunnel could take out even HM and Richter, or might be used to cut off an invading force from retreating.

If the kobolds decide to turtle up in larger chambers, set up some rudimentary fortifications and so on, Richter's people could be forced to advance out of a tunnel in a dribble if they want to advance deeper into kobold territory. Even a relatively small kobold force could block the advancements of Richter's forces or at least bleed them badly before retreating.

The kobolds have significant home-field advantages, whereas Richter cannot bring the might of the tank wall/ healer squads / magic arrow barrages to bear in the confined underground.

5) Mobility. The kobolds have fast-moving cavalry for the tunnels that can outrun any elf, man or dwarf. Richter has nothing.

Overall conclusion. The kobolds would crush Richter's forces easily if he launched a fullscale invasion. Raiding warbands would likely have their retreat routes cut off by kobold cavalry after which they would eventually be brought down through sheer numbers (the kobolds can afford a ten for one trade, and I doubt they would take that much damage if they play it smart, forcing the mages to expend their mana before attacking in full force). Maybe not on the first or second raid, but eventually the kobolds will be able to intercept them in force. Given their distraction with the goblins at the moment that could take a while, but if Richter's warbands do sufficient damage they will pull the required forces from the frontlines to deal with them. They have to, leaving a large enemy force free to ravage your infrastructure is a sure way to lose.

Edit: This ignores the likelihood of the kobolds having many more heavy hitters like the level 35 combat mage. Don't forget, he could be spared for a regular patrol mission and was but a member of a single clan. Nowadays the clans are united against the ashstalker invasion.

invading the kobolds is a terrible idea.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Exactly. Could it be done? Maybe, the plot armor is thick with this one. Should it? f**k no, but if the gyoti doesn't get back soon then that will pretty much be his only recourse, once the above ground battle is decidedly further from his front porch.

8. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Damn...

I probably should say what I meant by "invading the catacombs"
    1. Clearing the mines,
    2. Clearing a similar dungeon like area Richter had to clear to get his 2nd power unlocked.
    maybe clearing a small amount of catacombs around his "domain"

this is to level the village to lvl 2? and get some loot.

Main question is how much land does Richter has to claim and what consists of the 1rst level of catacombs needed for reaching settlement lvl 2?
    I bet The Kobolds will not wage a large war if MV forces will occupy say a 1km range area? should not be a massive incursion. Also what strategical resources would be there?
    Could anyone find a quote what is needed for reaching settlement lvl 2 ?

Also if the Kobolds are entrenched fighting the eaters.. it should be super easy to launch a mini strike with say best 35 men & randy & hisako etc.. just see whats up.. maybe kill a few hundies of kobbies ;DD
    Or just scout. find out what is the area of the lvl 1 catacombs.. maybe its just a few tunnels with a large cave..

P.S.
    1. I really dislike these current numbers.. because we will probably will have ~150 ish maybe, more like 125.. we had casualties. Hisako should have at least 300 but we should not rely on her alone
    Also now we do have at least 20-30 undead warriors too.

What Id like to see is 200-300 professional army.
    With possibility to mobilize remaining 700. all of them(mad laughter).
    I mean this is what the current life style has to be, give them spears teach them to mandatory level 5 with spears and shields lvl 3 and short swords lvl 2.. that should be easy?! then when the wall will be breached next time.. we will have at least 500 ready to fight. Including the legendary dishwasher. This is the current situation we don't have the luxury to no be able to mobilize everyone.
    f.e. do a few drills every 4 weeks or so, where everyone is mobilized and deployed to certain positions around the village, shoot stuff with arrows etc.. like a team-building exercise hehe

2. Weapons & armor are to an extent superior... but with time the difference will become epic.

3.Kobolds do specialize in magica.. we a bit too.. but with 3-5 master warlocks we can win quite a few battles in the tunnels as long as we aren't surrounded.
    And in general we have a lot more casters.

4.I see you're planning to take a massive military action Dragon.. wery predatory of you hehe
    I'm more interested in max taking a 1-3km area.. we will not be able to defend more.. also we can use mist workers/undead cant we? to explore?
    home fields advantage with a sneak attack and good maps should be super easy.. just send Randy in there and hell take care of mapping. Still depends what we need for lvl 2 settlement.

5. Now kobolds are in war with the eaters. their main force most likely is fighting in the other side of the catacombs.
    If say a ork tribe will invade one of the clans and will take a few caves.. I very much doubt that the entire kobold race will fight them..why? Its the problem of a specific kobold clan. And others win if a competitor has to fight on two fronts.
    now mobility..
    Scath cavalry..soon will have it..
    We have mist workers then can scrath ur back.. or carry you and run.. Because 10 mile area expands into a sphere from PoP that includes underground up to 10 miles..?
    Dungeon transport teleportation.
    Haste... so we have something also if its just a 1-3 km area that should be much easier..
    Full war no. Short skirmishes with stealth would be quite lucrative.
    Alliance with Ashstalker clan perhaps then? Grant them the Egg?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Know This! You have come to the first level of the catacombs of the Mist Village. As Master of this Place of Power, you can also master this level. To do this, control the territory of one of the clans of kobolds.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Alliances: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 3) (p. 135). Kindle Edition.

Conquering a piece of the network unfortunately isn't enough. The good news is that there is no need to fight the kobolds if Richter can subdue even one clan through other means. Aleron has put a few pieces in play that could help with that.

1.1) Dragonkin mark. Kobolds either have a love or hate relationship with their draconian forebearers, in this case I bet its going to be a loverelationship. This should bolster relations as the mark advances.
    1.2) Alma is a secondstage dragon.
    2) They have the Khan egg and said khan may well imprint on Richter due to his dragonkin mark. Which would be hilarious.
    3) The kobolds need military aid, either in the form of weapons or soldiers. I'd go for the weapons as they have plenty of hands already.
    4) Trade. I already dedicated an entire thread to that.

Cire122 and PokemonThug like this.
  10. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We need new book from AK this is not funny.

what I'm certain of is that the rulers of the clan most likelly will not aly with MV in any case.
    Clans have killed the khans before.
    There has to be a gain for a clan to ally with MV. So find a weak clan.. or the one that has no other options..

Dragon and Andrew Lynas like this.
  11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, and he has to master 3 levels in order to level his settlement, not just 1.

Screenshot_20200416-182222.jpg

PokemonThug likes this.
  12. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean but srsly WTF..
    pop of >=100 dudes
    slaying or defeating 10-100k kobolds in tunnels underground where they have traps..

How the hell does this correlate, its unbalanced. lvl 1 should be easy.

Because now you either buy off their loyalty? or Invade with an army of 60k units?! like WHY

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe the kobolds moved in at some point, upping the difficulty of the trial past what earlier masters faced? Bad luck for Richter essentially.

Johan and Cire122 like this.
  14. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is there anymore to this knack Krom keeps talking about? Is this from a tech like metallurgy, maybe.

I was a bit surprised there wasn't a knack needed for true silver, but maybe that is only because it isn't an alloy.

Cire122 likes this.
  15. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Interesting possibility.. last real master might have been living 1000 years ago or so..
    Still perhaps all 3 levels of the catacombs belong to the same clan, whose 70% is fighting vs the eaters..
    What I think is wrong here is that the MV area is 10 square miles.
    that means in a radius of 10 miles you should do stuff, like cut trees, clear lvl 1 mines from rats, clear the catacomb lvl 1, 2, 3..
    I would hope that these 3 levels of catacombs would be with the sphere of MV influence.
    But if the leveling of the settlement means conquering bigger amount of land.. the the catacombs might very well be out side of the MV 10 mile range..

Still it seems to me like for lvl 1 you should do two things, build stuff and clear those 10 miles of enemies. not necessarily also conquers nearby towns 20 miles away..!!

However that is the thing, it was mentioned that in the past mists were present hundreds of miles in every direction, most likely covering a very large part of the forest. From this we could assume that Higher level settlement has bigger amount of land. And in order to grow your settlement you have to conquer the land from current inhabitants.. Still we could just save up a few hundred undead and send them to clear the catacombs..

the ones who have inhabited the seppukuer were very formidable + immune to poison and to some extent traps..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Johan likes this.
  16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I kinda agree. Maybe Masters of t4 places of power are regional controllers? It seems to have been the center of more than one empire. Perhaps etablishing their overlordship is part of theadvancement of the masters of the mist, it would explain no one picking up the mantle after the fall of the original mist empire (basically, they try to establish themselves and they end up dead). It would also explain Richter needing to establish himself as "Master of the Dark".

17. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Master of the Dark?

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You have unlocked the Quest: Power in the Dark
    Many are the paths and pitfalls to power. Choose your path wisely or suffer the consequences. Success Condition: Become Master of the first level of the Catacombs

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Alliances: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 3) (p. 135). Kindle Edition.

Yeah I remembered that a little wrong. Still, why does he need to conquer other areas outside his domain?

PokemonThug likes this.
  19. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seems like we know what book 11 will write about lol

20. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love your optimism Thug.