Just a Quick Rant...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Brian Foster, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Brian Foster

Brian Foster Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, your consciousness had just been uploaded into a game which is to be your new home. You've experienced pain and had experienced players tell you how dangerous life in the game is. As a part of this new game life, you can level up, gaining more health, more mana, more power in your base attributes, and more skills.

You know what makes a lot of sense: not really doing anything proactive to level up. Sure, you keep running out of mana in fights, but why bother concentrating on trying to get more points to increase that pool? Sure, every time you use that spell, you gain experience and it levels up, making it powerful. There's no reason to take every opportunity to grind that spell, though. Who cares if it increases in power? Might as well just kind of take things as they come.

Just saying...

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You sound like Benji in Tower of Gates! ;)

Brian Foster likes this.
  3. Brian Foster

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I get that I like the leveling up mechanic more than a lot of other LitRPG readers do, but, if an author is going to minimize it, I think it should at least make sense in the context of the story. Battle Spire minimized it, but that made sense. If all your opponents are, like, a thousand times more powerful than you, making yourself 5% better isn't all that helpful. For the book that I just read, it felt like the writer really wanted to tell a fantasy adventure story and the game mechanics were just kind of there because LitRPG.

Argh!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, an alpha reader dinged me on that for Core Punk, so I stepped back and reworked the game mechanics a bit to make them consequential earlier in the book. We'll see if all this extra work pays off.

5. Brian Foster

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hope it does.

I was just reading the third book of the Station Core series, and, let's be honest here, the writing isn't exactly going to be winning any awards. I just read several very long chapters of telling that should have been boring as crap. There was no tension. Since everyone could respawn, there were no real stakes. Since there was leveling of abilities and base building activities going on, though, I enjoyed what I read.

For me, leveling up is a very strong tool for LitRPG authors to use.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, the trick is in tying it to the plot so that tension builds and the reward for leveling is bigger? My base building doesn't come in until around the middle, but I think it flows well? We shall see!

Brian Foster likes this.