RANT Let's talk about: The Hobbit trilogy

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Yuli Ban, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    WOW. So I just watched this.
    Holy shit. The last time I've ever been this bored watching a movie, I was 8 years old and Anakin had just professed to Padme his disdain for silicate grains.
    Now stretch that boredom out over a trilogy that is cinematically competent at creating decent characters but just has nothing to say. It's amazing how movies about elves, dwarves, hobbits, and other magical creatures filled with intense action and impassioned drama feel so lifeless and lethargic. Not at any point did I care about what was happening or to whom it was happening. I didn't even care about myself by the end of it.

It hurts so much.

Why.

Why does it hurt so much?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Jay and Viergacht like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And the fart jokes. Heh. I think The Hobbit was made for kids? Teens, maybe?

Jay, Viergacht and TWErvin2 like this.
  3. Berserk

Berserk Level 10 (Filcher) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Toronto
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's a good fan edit from Maple Films that cuts the three movies down into one that tries to stay faithful to the book. Gets rid of added filler like the whole dwarf - elf - elf love triangle.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was disappointing, which is sad, because it did look lovely.

Viergacht likes this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's the inevitable result of trying to stretch a single book out into a trilogy of films. Not even Bendystraw Crumpetsnatcher could save it from itself.

Viergacht likes this.
  6. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  7. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I'm reading through The Hobbit right now. HOW. THE F**K. WERE THEY SO DELUDED. TO INCLUDE. A LOVE TRIANGLE.

HOW.

What were they smoking, high-elf dung?!

Viergacht likes this.
  8. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The producers were probably thinking "How can we stretch this one book into another film trilogy? Oh! I've got it! People loved Legolas, so let's put in some more elves. And people loved Twilight, so how about a forbidden romance love triangle?"

Viergacht likes this.
  9. RedCulver

RedCulver Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, I actually love the first one. Obviously the original LotR movies are pretty great, but they take themselves very seriously and sometimes it veers into unintentional comedy. The first Hobbit movie didn’t take itself so seriously, which I thought was appropriate, plus it had some songs and stuff.

The second one was a bad omen— no real arc, just a bunch of scenes strung together— though I lived in a Nashville at the time and Taylor Swift was at the midnight opening I went to.

The third was unbearable, other than Billy Connolly as Dain Ironfoot, Warhammer dwarf.

10. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah. The first one captured at least some of the spirit of the book and I thought it was well done (not perfect, but the scene with Bilbo bursting out of the Shire to go on an adventure was wonderful -- and the Dwarves' song <3)

Paul Bellow and RedCulver like this.
  11. RedCulver

RedCulver Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, exactly! And I’ll admit that the opening cameo of Holm and Wood got me right in the feels as well.

12. Jason Maskell

Jason Maskell Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I watched bits of these movies on an airplane and they were ridiculous.

That said, I also liked Fellowship (mostly) and hated the other two more and more. I nearly walked out of Return of the King. So much hollywood bullshit in those movies. It ramped up in each movie and got really bad in ROTK.

Not just the stupid inserts like Liv Tyler, but the screwing with events and characters really pissed me off. Faramir is a bad guy now? f**k off. Sam has a last minute falling out with Frodo where Frodo sides with Gollum? f**k off. Elves are superheros that can defeat whole armies and dwarves are comic relief? f**k off.

I hope that one day desktop movie tech gets to such a degree that someone can actually do a version of LOTR that doesn't suck and fully respects the source material. Jackson is and was a hack. It showed clearly in the Hobbit, and a bit less so in the LOTR movies.

Jay likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd love to see that fan edit.

Berserk likes this.
  14. Berserk

Berserk Level 10 (Filcher) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Toronto
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought that Return of the King was the best of the original trilogy. I still find myself humming that song that Pippin sung while Faramir and his knights did their suicide charge. Perhaps the Amazon series will be more to your liking?

The Hobbit trilogy though was disappointing. It should have been delayed but Warner Bros was too greedy. Jackson came in late to replace Del Toro and through and everything he did. That meant that they had to film the movies while Jackson was writing them to stay on time. It was a giant snafu

RedCulver and Paul Bellow like this.
  15. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Here's a collection of fan-edits. The one everyone refers to as the definitive one, however, is the Tolkien Edit. But I believe you do need to download it and it's a fairly hefty size.

Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  16. R.M. Soderlund

R.M. Soderlund Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Melbourne, Australia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The YouTube video essayist "Just Write" does a fantastic five-part series analyzing the Hobbit films... Totally makes you feel vindicated watching it :)
    (It's also, a fantastic channel for writing advice.)

Not sure how to hyperlink, so cut+paste if you are interested...

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It magically embeds them for ya! ;)

Yuli Ban likes this.
  18. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those films were the classic case of trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip. There was good stuff in them just because so many talented people were involved but the whole concept of trying to take a children's fantasy novel and stretch it into a 3-hour dramatic epic was too flawed from the get-go to ever succeed . . . I doubt in 30 years that anyone but the nerdiest of nerds will rewatch them. I'm also sure someone will have tackled it again - how many goddamn Spider Men and Jungle Books have we gotten lately?

R.M. Soderlund likes this.
  19. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know, I have honestly purged pretty much everything about that trilogy from my brain but Azog (because he was cool) and his awesome white Warg Mother. And really that's just cause I like Manu Bennett a lot. I remember almost nothing else about the movies but going "Ohhh, awesome" for that villain.

Oh and eagles throwing a giant bear into an army. That was pretty cool too.

Viergacht likes this.
  20. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And the dwarf song while they were doing the dishes.

Windfall and Jay like this.