List of LitRPG Tropes

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Northwest Grant

Northwest Grant Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Favorite trope is actually Harem, Reverse Harem, or some other kind of poly arrangement. In a game world without pregnancy or STIs, it makes sense to me that the pull toward monogamy just isn't going to be as great as it is IRL. That doesn't mean it's always done well, but it makes sense to me that this would be explored within this particular genre.

Least favorite trope that I've been seeing is the game within a game -- often some sort of contest where death is a likely result of failing to win. It becomes a structure that takes the place of more complex plotting, often, but the author often also fails to sell me on the motivations for the entrants, who just don't have a good reason for risking their lives. (Unless there are free corpse runs, or some other thing that makes death not matter.)

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Check out Roguelike. I think I did the game-in-a-game well. Could be wrong, tho! Heh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8MYZ7M

3. Bigmohunter

Bigmohunter Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Hoth
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. Manx

Manx Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think you might enjoy my series 'The Apprentice of Arabella" The MC is a good guy bad situation but is still trying to be himself and do right by others.

Paul Bellow likes this.