WOOT LitRPG Genre Growth

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Muffassa, May 17, 2018.

1. Muffassa

Muffassa Moderator LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey guys,

I have begun to track how many new readers GreatLitRPG has brought into the genre. I waited awhile to ensure that familiar readers didn't get caught up in my metrics, but I won't bore you with the details - here is the report!

[​IMG]

As you can see, it is not ALOT of new readers, but it isn't bad either. We are well on our way. Our next priorities are going to be converting readers at a better rate so they buy more of your books, and finding a way to track if they stayed in the community or not.

Do you guys have any great ideas on how to help grow the genre?

I am sure if Paul and I put or heads together we can bring your ideas to life!

2. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As a genre? I think if we did a charity project, we could get a lot of positive attention. Maybe everyone that wants to could pitch in a short story, editing, or beta reading services, and all of the proceeds go to the Child's Play charity or something similar. I know that it's a bit self-serving, but I think we could get nearly every author on the forum onboard for it, and we'd be doing something beyond excellent.

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ENACT THE BANISHMENT!!!!!11111oneoneone

There are no other websites other than this one! Period!

Sorry, just kidding. Great stats!

I'm sure we'll be able to work together more in the future.

What I've found (also) is that drawing in people from outside litrpg (who might not be searching for litrpg) is smart. I think you saw that on the stats screenshot I shared yesterday. :)

Alexis Keane and Muffassa like this.
  4. Muffassa

Muffassa Moderator LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ramon is doing something similar. I will check it out and see if we can help, although I am personally not cool enough to get a reply when I contact him lol. Maybe we can do one a few months after his.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's a good front end website. This place is a forum - they're different.

But good luck with the charity and stuff. Blaise did one too if I remember right.

6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I think the underlying message is that numerous websites exist now (which is great! no pun...)

The competition for time/attention keeps us all on our toes. It's not like readers will never find out there's other websites. That's just silly. Reminds me of my time in the early days of online newspapers when they wouldn't link out to other websites, afraid they might "lose visitors" or something crazy.

One of the sites I'm most impressed with lately is Book Brawl.

But yeah, I think it's okay (here at least) for people to mention their own websites, initiatives, etc.

Since coming into the genre (over a year ago, now), I've seen cliques form.

The one thing I did like about Great LitRPG last I looked was their trying to categorize litrpg by tags. I think @...

Wow, I went to tag Blaise Corvin, and he's gone. Heh. Or I'm crazy.

Anyway, I was going to say Blaise (I believe) is trying to better categorize new releases with his reader funded GameLitRPG.com site. (Which is BRILLIANT branding. I'm so jelly I didn't come up with it. Haha.)

We're all trying to make our own way. I just think it's silly for small tribes to form within our genre, but I guess it's human nature?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Alexis Keane likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, I'm an idiot! (You guys knew that already, though. I'm finally watching Rick and Morty, and I'm a sort of Morty, I guess? Small smile.)

Anyway, Blaise is here, but he's set it to not be taggable. Which is cool! I try not to abuse that feature too much.

People tell me I'm a God Emperor...

I want this place to be somewhere we can all come together.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll never forget that cat-mask photo. Heh.

[​IMG]

Alexis Keane likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Another quick point - authors are busy!

I'm spending an inordinate amount of time being social here and on Facebook, but when I do, I lose valuable writing time.

With the genre exploding, I'm sure the "first wave" writers are inundated with messages from new people.

I hope over the last 12+ months I've been able to prove myself as a valuable part of the community and not just a "money grubbing marketer","website builder", or anything else I've been called since I dove in head first.

;)

Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One final note before I go mow the lawn...

Building a community is tough! Whether it's on Facebook or at your own forum, it's not easy. Even more difficult when you're fighting for attention off of Facebook.

That said, I got VERY lucky last summer. The day I launched this place, people started showing up and helped us grow to where we are today.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this place is all about YOU. Otherwise, it would just be me talking to myself.

Okay, I've got to go get the yard cleaned up then back to editing.

I'm glad this is being discussed openly...I think?

[​IMG]

Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  11. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like that idea a lot!
    I'd throw in a free cover.

12. Wolvenna

Wolvenna Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is a really awesome idea. I'd definitely be willing to contribute something.

13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like where this is headed. Forgive my crazy posts earlier. ;)

[​IMG]

Alexis Keane likes this.
  14. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We're all mad here. I thought my post was crazy enough. I wasn't aware that others already had the idea in the genre. A writer I used to follow on an old website did it, so I thought we could take full advantage of it. I've got no idea how to do anything, just have ideas.

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We'll get it sorted.

First thing would probably be a deadline/target-date...

Wolvenna and Alexis Keane like this.
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: