LitRPG Preferred Book Length

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Dustin Tigner, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GrandmasterKai

GrandmasterKai Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dunno if they'll take it down or something eventually, but I do have a series page for Mission Cerex, check it out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQBDG2B?ref_=dbs_r_series&storeType=ebooks

As for the price, definitely agree. Short books are just what I could reasonably finish and publish so far, lol. That being said, there are definitely advantages.
    • Increased "authority"- my author page now has a cluster of books that makes me look a bit more legit than I am so far, lol.
    • More links and reader magnets- more eyeballs can stumble across my books through also boughts, etc. And every book has a chance of grabbing me a new email for my reader list.
    • More KDP Free days- Each short read book gets its own 5 free promo days, and if/when I do box sets (Books 1&2, 1/2/3, all 5) they get 5 free days too. I figure since I'm just starting out, this will get me a lot more exposure.
    • Whole separate market- I know I don't have tons of time to read, and there are plenty of others out there looking for a story they can finish on their lunch break, train/bus ride, or other short reading opportunities.
    Like I said, I'm just starting out, so I have lots of reasons why I think this may be a decent publishing plan, but have only sold a hundred or so books in the month and a half since publishing book 1. Book 3 comes out Friday, so finger crossed I keep building some momentum!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You might want to consider bundling those up into a serial format. Say 40k "episodes" and label collections of episodes as "seasons" (for as far along as you want to write). I've seen other big serials do this and it seems to work well. Just make sure to say "serial serial serial" everywhere you can so that readers know what they are getting. People hate buying book 1 only to discover they just got hooked on a serial. TBF, that is an unpleasant surprise.
    You're doing a thing that I would swear shouldn't work. I only say that though because I'd love to see if you make it work and how. ^_^

Paul Bellow and GrandmasterKai like this.
  3. GrandmasterKai

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Trial and error, all I can do. Your book covers look awesone btw. :)

Paul Bellow and TravisBach like this.
  4. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And this is why I still haven't produced any audiobooks yet (besides the "so few books ever published" part). The most I've made in any particular month was about $2,800. If I can't clear at least double the costs for an audiobook in any particular month, I'd rather not risk it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you considered royalty-sharing agreements?ACX has several, which can bring the upfront cost down to $0. Sure there are serious long-term income ramifications, but if it's the choice between "audio book" and "no audio book"...

Herko Kerghans and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. GrandmasterKai

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My trick was to have my audiobook only be 1.5hr, $106 total, lol.

TravisBach likes this.
  7. LelulaGames

LelulaGames Author Crissy Moss LitRPG Author Citizen

47%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel like a book should be the length it wants to be. If people are shoving extra content in it just to make it longer that doesn't make it better. That said I have days when I just want a quick read, and other times when I want an epic yarn. However, the majority of litRPG readers seem to be much more interested in longer works. I'm actually probably going to put the first three or four books together as one and republish since the litRPG community is so adamant about length reads.

As for pricing, that's tricky. KU seems to be the best way to go (especially for shorter works) regardless of what the actual price is. At the moment I price first in series 99 cents, and the rest of them 2.99. Boxed sets 9.99.