"Mama's" caravan?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Jun 30, 2020.

?

How many new villagers will the caravan have?

1. Less than 100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100 to 250

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. 250 to 500

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. More than 500

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Book 7
    Chapter 3
    Audible
    2:15- 5:15

Alright Pythagoras, listen to this again for me. Then tell me how you get the 1% chance for attacking because he is human. All I hear are the modifiers for his Goblin Slaying.

Goblin Slayer 5 plus 30% chance for goblins to mistrust, dislike, or attack you. Plus 30% chance to intimidate goblins.

The doesn’t say only in combat, or in the woods, nor does that mean it can’t happen in his domain.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The chance of goblins attacking Richter, mistrusting or disliking him is increased by 30%. That doesn't mean there is more than 30% chance of a goblin attacking Richter in any scenario, but rather that the base chance is increased. Goblins usually dislike humans, so there is at least some chance of them attacking regardless of circumstances and that chance is increased by 30%. Hence if the chance of them attacking in a given situation is
    1% -> 1.3%
    10% -> 13%
    50% -> 65%

Similarly a defense or attack of 10 becomes 13.5.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The intimidation likely will outstrip the chance to attack for individuals and small groups as well.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Book 7
    Chapter 3
    8:45-9:59

Somewhat problematic.

5. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    how so?

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ask Aleron its what he wrote.

Perhaps Ricther is concerned that he will walk around the corner store in Law and have 10 city goblins jump him.

Maybe Ricther will want to buy something in the mountains and the only dealer is a Goblin.
    I suppose that could be problematic?

Like I said I think it could make for a comical bit.

Rat being surprised by Ricther and those modifiers working at Rat causing him to pull a weapon and piss himself. Then someone could tell Rat Ricther loves penis soup. The he fixs Ricther some more three penis soup that he actually likes making up with him.

Not that it will happen.

7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That particular quote almost exactly parallels what @Dragon said. That it's a percent increase of a base chance to attack. If they're not planning on attacking 30% greater of a base of 0% is still zero, not 30%.

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did it say the base was one, zero, two, or three?

All I know is Ricther states that there was only one time he hasn’t been attacked by a Goblin. Then he mentions how it would affect their dispositions.

I do understand that Ricther does have some sort of relationship with Rat at this time. Yet when it was formed he wasn’t the Goblin Slayer he is now. Also when they met Rat was in a more comfortable position. Now Rat has likely left that comfort zone for what would be a terrifying trip for the little Goblin which seemed so meek and mild. His fear level being jilted it would only take loud BOO and his flight or fight would kick in.

Like I said it won’t happen anyway. It was just something I mentioned that apparently issued the need for someone to address.

It sure would be quite if I hadn’t.

9. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well that's the fun thing about statistics. You never know, you just have guesses. Good ones at times but guesses none the less. Also they are all categorically lower than 1, as 1 is equal to 100% chance of attacking.

I got a dollar says rat wouldn't have attacked Richter if he was slayer 10 (barring any extra punitives in later levels). A goblin living out of the norm, with the "standard" fantasy non humans and humans isn't gonna go around picking a fight because one rubs him the wrong way for a reason he wouldn't know. The base is abysmally low in Rat's case.

He's only ever been not attacked on sight by one goblin, but all the other goblins he's met don't really spread the background data. They're all part of an army bent on invading the surrounding lands and part of goblin only regiments. So while we technically have more than two cases to draw from, we can really boil it down to just two. Rat and the basilisk alliance.

So, while it may cause some to attack out of turn when they wouldn't originally, it pretty much should only flip the kinds that are skulking at the end of a bar or had some previous dealings with humans and harbor a grudge. Army gobs are gonna attack anyway, but a the tavern cook for the "good" races would probably settle for spitting in his stew. Richter probably will have problems in bars that cater to mixed "evil" races, but that kinda comes with the territory.

To avoid all this he should figure out the Fear Aura skill that Nien had. Could be helpful in turning these kinds of encounters to the intimidation chance instead.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After reading Drags post on the Golem thread I have decided to make some predictions.

1. Mamas caravan will contain enough people to over double Ricthers current population.

2. The Caravan will also arrive safe and sound as contracted prior to a Bugbear attack.

3. The Dwarvin Mercenaries will arrive with the Caravan.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1: So a thousand people? I'd guess more.
    2: Could happen. Storywise it makes some sense.
    3: The last one seems odd. Do you mean they will arrive together or around the same time?

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m not sure it’s kind of hard to see. My son was spray painting a model and sprayed my crystal ball. Who would have ever thought crystal balls are porous?

Yes the population will at least be doubled. There won’t be more than 2,500 for sure. You know it’s hard to count crowds of people when your crystal ball is partially painted OD Green.

Mister Bill, Waterhobit and Dragon like this.
  13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice you predict the future :)

i'm just guessing at what Aleron might do given his tendency for the tropy, traditional and dramatic.

All in good fun.

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, just a prediction. Although, I had made several other predictions that were correct on the last site about book 8. I’m still waiting on my steak dinner for those predictions.

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I was off on the whole Sion book thing it seems. Unless that's book 9 or 10

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well maybe you need to visit the magic shop in Camden, London. Ask for Alex, tell him you need a diviner’s Stone.

Dragon likes this.
  17. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mama is a tier 2 Human, professed in administration! Unfortunately she lost all her levels with a deal with an imp, where she failed to guess what' is in his pocket.

18. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

64%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not Roswan? You think the independent book will be on Sion?

I just hope the next one in the series isn’t all Sion back in the village for a whole book with nothing included about Richter.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hope it’s more like a William Faulkner book. Hopefully it will be a book with multiple characters telling their stories. A compilation of the going ons of the Mist Village. A point of view and adventures from Scion, Randy, and others would be interesting. Basically several short stories compiled into one book. I would really like to know if Randy has started training any spies. I would also like a short story about the trading expedition.

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If they occur over the same time frame, and are more like a few separate books bound together that cover the same story from different points of view! Ill take it!