"Mama's" caravan?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Jun 30, 2020.

?

How many new villagers will the caravan have?

1. Less than 100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100 to 250

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. 250 to 500

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. More than 500

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hrrm, different from our system. They might not have to deal with inflation. If a base unit coin is set to something like...an egg then there would be no inflation even if more coinage is made. It's like using a chit/stamp/ticket system. If one stamp is the cost of a meal, then everything is based on that value. Inflation...I need to check to see what was worth 1¢ back in the day when it first came out.

2. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But when your money is literally made of gold and silver it has a fixed value. Inflation can't drop it's value below the market value of those metals. Plus, I imagine the magic of the banks would prevent inflation anyway.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it is likely that she will become the town Administrator and that Randy will transition to dungeon related duties, while secretly being the MV spy master.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True to a point.

They already have a man in charge of the Dungeon.

Randy could make a good minister of foreign affairs, including espionage, trade, and diplomacy. Mama could then become minister of the interior.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So Randy would be whatever the land equivalent of Secretary of State is.

6. Albatross1873

Albatross1873 Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Prime Minister is the position that you’re looking for.

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Randy’s position as Chamberlain would cover foreign affairs, diplomacy, espionage, trade, finances and would include the Kings house hold. He would have a group of stewards working under him for each of those offices. Randy just seemed to be excited about being the town administrator.

8. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Kind of, the US stopped using copper to make pennies when the value of the copper rose above 1 cent.

Also, a lot of people view zero inflation as a good thing, but its really not. A little inflation will motivate people to invest their money back into an economy vs just burying it under the shed. If you male a fortune and just sit on it, all of that value is not being put to work. With inflation, if someone were to do that, they gradually lose value over time. The key is to have a small amount of inflation and not let it get out of control.

9. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sure Roswan is the Dungeon Keeper. This lets him influence the dungeon's growth. Should Roswan be in charge of collecting taxes from adventurers? Is Roswan interested or even qualified in organizing dungeoneering groups? Will Roswan have the ability to sniff out the spies hidden among the adventurers who will flock to this new dungeon? These are all things that Randy would excel at given his familiarity with dungeons, magic, and martial abilities, coupled with his high administration skill. Randy likely should also be placed in an advisory role to Roswan as well, to help guide him in creating dungeon features specifically beneficial to the MV.

There is going to be a great deal of work associated the organizing dungeon groups. Considering the Village speciallization, nearly everyone in the village will be wanting to participate. Richter will want them dungeoneering in shifts, and will want to loan out village armor and weapons for his villagers. Someone will have to organize this, as well regular maintenance and repair. Organization also includes pairing villagers up based on skills, level, and role. Many villagers will need training outside the dungeon. He would have to ensure that each group is capable of working together well. Higher level villagers like guards and meidon sprites should be mixed in with lower leveled groups to help protect them and lend experience.

Johan likes this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm that's a lot of good points @Waterhobit.

Though if its going to be that big, i'd want a specialized public company in charge of it, rather than a government appointee. A guild in charge of the Dungeon, taxation, and law enforcement within the Dungeon (to the extent it is possible), perhaps with a second branch for adventurers to join. The king - Richter - would be the honorary Master, with someone else running the day-to-day.

I'd also establish an outer and inner guild with a single oath of fealty being the only requirement to move between the two. Those who have sworn to Richter get various priviliges such as access to guild positions, the right to order personalized weapons, armor, gear, potions, etc. from the core buildings in addition to the normal rights that sworn villagers have.

Those who do not swear would still be able to dungeon dive and they'd still be able to buy the weapons, gear and potions available at the market. As for homes, I imagine they'll need residences for visitors and traders outside the walls anyway. No sense in letting rowdy groups of heavily armed strangers into the town.

11. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure I disagree with any of that. Except that I think there should be an even greater divide between members of the MV, all of whom have sworn fealty to Richter, and any outsiders who have not. Richter definitely needs to establish a section of the village walled off from the rest specifically for visitors and refugees who have not (yet) sworn fealty to Richter. And personally I think a government controlled guild would better suit the MV than a public organization.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  12. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well he has already walled off the Quickening, HOF, and the Dragon's cauldron. There is also a further out wall and trench that surrounds the rest of the village and farms. Mist workers are constantly working on the trench. Once Richter gets back, especially with Alma having evolved they would be able to summon an incredible amount of workers and easily do a dungeon guild outpost. No to mention finish an incredible trench very quickly.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe the trench is done, and they now work on the inner wall, replacing earthworks with stonework. I imagine they could set up a settlement within the inner trench - fewer beasts around - but outside the town proper.

14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They should also make at least one basic (non-Core) Alchemy and Smithy, probably one below the Walled of Plateau in the Inner main Walled Living area, and later one in the Trading/&/Adventurer/Visitor area in the Outer Walled area.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Hastur and Captain BlackJack like this.
  15. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice call. That way when they start selling things from them traders do not necessarily know they are from a core building.

16. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    “When my hand is out, I expect your reference to be placed in it. I do not let citizens in as Dungeoneers I do not know. I have found it to be a waste of my time. I do not like wasting my time. I do not like people that waste my time. Now you are just standing there looking indecisive. Indecision causes confusion. Confusion causes accidents. Accidents cause death! So before my mental anguish transforms into your physical anguish, why don’t you get out of my line!” Mama, book ??

"Each word of her speech dripped venom, and rose in volume, until she was shouting at the end. This time was sure everyone had moved away from him. And yes, he meant everyone. Out of the corner of his eye he caught his friend standing a good yard away." - Random MV citizen, Book ??

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Caravan...what is that woman thinking. Maybe it is only a caravan to the leaf's crossing. From there they will take barges, but it didn't sound like it.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well an overland trip allows them to visit a number of locations before getting to the village, such as the woodelf kingdom. It could also be a safety issue, though i'm unsure why precisely they'd need to travel by caravan.

It could also be a problem with getting sufficience barges together. There are many possibilities that would make travelling by barge less attractive.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If I were Mama, I would hire out the barges to ship supplies if there wasn’t enough room to move my people. That might also lead anyone looking for us down the river. Unless they knew the group was yo large to travel by barge. The barges would be faster then a cross country trip and perceivably much safer. Then again, the Count knowing the last non humans that left went by boat. He could be prepared to stop any flotilla moving down the river at this point. He was angry enough to supposedly send troops that were with the assassins.

Traveling by caravan would normally offer a bit more protection. In Ricthers part of the river peninsula it could draw larger monsters. Although I am sure they could handle it themselves. Hiring the barges to carry your supplies and goods would be a good idea. That would free her people up to travel faster by foot.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have been thinking about Mamas caravan. Why would Nexus show such kind considerations toward Mamas caravan?

Does Nexus have a thing for Tammy2?

Why else would Nexus have requested Ricther to make Her a librarian?

I have seen where several people have said it was to mess with Roswan. That Tammy2 is Roswans exwife. If that’s true what happened to Roswan and Nexuses relationship?

Didn’t Roswan have a great time with Nexus?

Hadn’t everyone told him he should write a book about the time they had?

So if Nexus and Roswan were friends how did that relationship sour?

Has Roswan interacted with Nexus since he went for his profession?

The only other thing I can reason is that Nexus really does like tammy2 and she has made him dislike Roswan.

Whatever it maybe Ricther and Mama should be greatfull.

Johan likes this.