Master LitRPG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in '2018 LitRPG Books' started by Paul Bellow, May 19, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Long, juicy list of recommended LitRPG and discussion, suggestions...

If you're brand new and want to know the best place to start, go here.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Riley Mercer likes this.
  2. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great stuff, thanks @Paul Bellow

Since I'm still new to LitRPG I wanted a thread to talk about books, both fantasy and sci-fi, that relate to the genre and that would make a great addition to any fan's bookshelf.

Of course, authors are also welcome to talk about their own books here and discuss the authors, books and series that have inspired them.

The first one I want to recommend is Snow Crash. Not only is it one of my favourite books, but it's by one of my favourite authors: Neal Stephenson. For those that don't know him, he is "an American writer and game designer" whose novels have been categorized as "science fiction, historical fiction, cyberpunk, postcyberpunk, and baroque." (Wiki)

A short description of Snow Crash from Goodreads: "In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately."

This is one of my all-time favourite books and should be considered a precursor to the LitRPG genre. It is hilarious, outrageous and whether you love it or not, you will never forget it.

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By the way, thanks to @Readsalot for the idea on this thread. Makes it easier to handle, I think.

Look forward to seeing all the recommendations!

Zombiebreath and Readsalot like this.
  4. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Writer recommendations that you would like others to help beg to do a LitRPG Book.

For me: Mark Tufo and Rick Gualtieri :)

Zombiebreath likes this.
  5. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Started reading The Way of the Shaman by Vasily Mahanenko and got completely hooked. Literally read night and day and then... The ending of that fifth book!

Although, quite honestly, I think Mahan was a bit of an idiot. How he didn't see that coming I have no idea.

Really hope it doesn't take long for book 6 and 7 to be translated.

Will post a more in-depth review later. Sufficient to say I think it is a great series and a lot of fun to read.

Zombiebreath and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ditto on getting hooked with that series, @Readsalot

Dat ending tho! I really enjoyed how the stakes have risen as a result.

7. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Has anybody read The Land (Chaos Seeds) series by Aleron Kong? Would you recommend it? I picked up the first book and read the first two pages, then immediately dropped it. When every sentence ends in an exclamation mark I just can't read a book, it's too distracting.

8. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am starting it today on audio. I'll let you know how it goes. I should be able to listen to it for 2-3 hours while I'm working.

Readsalot likes this.
  9. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, I'd appreciate it. I read 2 chapters of Dragon's Wrath by Brent Roth and then dropped it as well. For some reason the main character decided to voice his every thought out loud - while out on a hunt in the middle of the wilderness.

Riley Mercer and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've gotten about 2 hours in. It's not as bad being on audio as it comes off if you are reading it yourself. The narrator definitely brings it personality. It's an alright opening but so far it's not as good as some others I've listened to. While having a good 20 LitRPGs to compare it to and say that it hasn't got that grab you by the collar and pull you along feel, I am not willing to stop listening to it. It's good enough to pass the time and will commit at least to the end of the book. to see fi the character fleshes out and if it has anything that I haven't heard before. I mean, it does have a reputation for being one of the best from what I've heard and seen on facebook so I have a feeling that it will be worth it within a couple more hours of listening. It's a little over 10 hrs on audio.

Jason likes this.
  11. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, well, I hope you enjoy the book but I think I'll give it a miss. I prefer reading to listening to audio books.

It's probably just a personal thing, but I can't stand it when three or four out of every five sentences end in an exclamation mark in a book.

Jason likes this.
  12. Delilah

Delilah Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Has anyone read Fayroll? I think it is the beat russian LitRPG book. What do you think?

13. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haven't tried it but there is one for sure way to put it in my que. By saying it is the best russian LitRPG. Please, don't everyone take advantage of my weakness now that its out. lol

Jason and Felicity Weiss like this.
  14. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have it on my kindle ready to go. Soon, soon.

Jason and Paul Bellow like this.
  15. Delilah

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe you can recommend me some good LitRPG books, please? I am quite new in it.

16. Delilah

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would like to know your opinion about it when you read it :)

17. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Take a look at my profile. I have a list of those I have finished reading thus far. So far, I haven't finished anything I haven't fully enjoyed in the genre. I have tried out several and didn't make it past the first 2 chapters.

18. Delilah

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you c:

19. Delilah

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry for the question out of the topic, but does anyone know any contests on LitRPG world? I have found only one in Fayroll universe. But my friends and I want to participate in other too.
    Maybe any contests of the publishing house?

20. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Delilah and Paul Bellow like this.