Master LitRPG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in '2018 LitRPG Books' started by Paul Bellow, May 19, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, they're both for general writing. I let you in because we're still small and you said you have experience publishing in other genres.

Carry on. ::PAL::

Zombiebreath likes this.
  2. Zombiebreath

Zombiebreath Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Coolio. Thanks.

3. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that aspiring author means you haven't been published at all. LitRPG author is if you've published LitRPG. Maybe there should be another one for having being a published author that isn't LitRPG.
    @Paul Bellow

I'm getting ready to self publish a how to book that will be my first published book. I have a few ideas I've started working on in the LitRPG genre.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did I never let you into the LitRPG Author group? Ugh. I'm so sorry. Been trying to keep up with writing and marketing, and I've let things slide here.

Adding you now! Better late then never?

Or should the Litrpg authors group be more exclusive? I'm letting all the riff-raff in, it seems. ;)

5. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm topless and writing dialogue I just thought up around my bellybutton. Yeah, rowdy.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol i meant riff-raff in the nicest way possible. ;)

just finished up a hilarious scene in roguelike. well, i thought it was funny.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  7. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Should I have tattooed it?

Do share!

8. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I always thought of an aspiring writer as someone who reads a lot and wants to write, and is learning methods. Maybe has penned some shorts but has been too scared to let anyone other than a family member or friend read it.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  9. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ahh youve writen a book just not LitRPG my bad althogh given how its worded i do think its partialy for LitRPG

Paul Bellow and Zombiebreath like this.
  10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, basically, I'm trying to recall all my favorite moments playing roguelike games over the years. One is stealing from shops in the game using a Wand of Digging - basically zap the wand and create a tunnel to run away with all the shop items without paying. The scene got a little silly, but it'll balance well against the later sections of the book, I think.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that's my bad as GM.

I'm just personally tired of all the negativity and exclusiveness in the LitRPG scene.

Ooh. There's a good domain name. Haha.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  12. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Love it. Rouges should be tricksy.

13. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are rabid readers and writers of this genre. After a few days here, I've felt like you guys are excellent and balanced people who are insanely creative, supportive, and all of you can turn a phrase with proper grammar with that special touch. I'm so happy to have found your site.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  14. NonAmus

NonAmus Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    Zone:
    central
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi, new guy here. Just wanted to throw in my recommendations as I am "The Father of 2 American Children".
    • Hero of Thera: Innocent guy on death row becomes a pawn of Gods in a multiverse battle. My personal favorite American Litrpg
    • Soulstone: Gamer gets forced to play a VR game where death is real to stop a real world virus.
    • Viridian Gate Online: Regular guy escapes real world Armageddon by uploading to game world.
    • Legendary Moonlight Sculptor: The first "LITrpg" I read. It is a Korean light novel and has been/is being translated for years. It is an amazing VRMMO story and very long.

Him, varya, Windfall and 3 others like this.
  15. Ade Greeenwise

Ade Greeenwise Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They say those who find Fountellion in the spiral ... find themselves... :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Feel free to put a link to your RRL in your signature. ::PAL::

17. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This book was different, and an fascinating glimpse into another culture.

D'aww shucks : )

18. DudeWheresMyServer

DudeWheresMyServer Level 5 (Veteran) Beta Reader Citizen

97%
    xp:
    Zone:
    East Coast
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi, very new member here. I didn't see my current favorite LitRPG on here so I figured I'd add a few that you may not know of.

• The Trapped Mind Project (book one of the Emerilia series) by Michael Chatfield - I've been working through this series for that past few weeks and really enjoy the interesting plot. Basically, Austin Zane plays the newest VR game 'Emerilia' to get away from the stress of real life on Earth. He soon discovers that he is a 'bleeder', one who understands the truth. The truth that the Earth Austin comes from is a lie, a simulation. Emerilia and his character, David Grahslagg, is the true reality, and Earth and the Sol solar system was destroyed by the Jukal Empire after a violent war with humanity. The few thousand humans remaining are pawns used by the Jukal Empire to fight its enemies through portals located on Emerilia.
    • The Battle Begins by Nakita Thorn - Story of Seth Kinnamen, an MMA fighter losing his vision due to an illegal move in a competition, finding a way to do what he loves again. The new VR game, Bushido Online, allows him to see again. It also allows him to do what he spent his life training for, fighting.
    • Viridian Gate Online - I know this one has already been mentioned before, so I'll just say I really enjoyed it. It was my first LitRPG book and showed me the joy that is the LitRPG genre.
    I've read quite a few LitRPG books already, but I'm always up for suggestions! I'll add a list of LitRPG books I've read in my bio or something if I can do that. Feel free to message me about any of them or whatever.

Him, Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone have anything new?

20. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm reading The King's Avatar by Hu Dielan (Butterfly Blue) at the moment and it's fantastic. It's not immersive gaming as the gamers still use screens, keyboards, etc but it doesn't matter as the action, scenes and characters in the game are described so vividly. A couple of proofreading and editing errors here and there but not nearly so bad and distracting as The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. The MC is freaking awesome, as he's a top-tier ex-pro-gamer, worshiped as a god by fans of the game, who has to start all over again.

Fans of the anime series will love the books, as the books give a lot more depth and background to the story and the characters.

Highly recommended and IMO a must-read for all fans of the genre.

CheshirePhoenix and Paul Bellow like this.