MC is not human

Discussion in 'Looking for LitRPG' started by Laendrea, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Laendrea

Laendrea Level 8 (Thug) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

22%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi everyone, I am looking for some good LitRPG/GameLit examples of an MC who starts off human, but end up stuck as a non-human race. Similar to the MC in the Life Reset series of books.

Any race would be fine too - Elf, Orc, Goblin, Demon, Vampire... I'm not picky and all suggestions are appreciated!

2. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dungeon born - The MC starts off as human but turns to the dungeon itself.

Slime dungeon - is the same but it's sorta the beta version of dungeon born.

The GodKing's legacy - maybe because the MCs start off as a sword and squirrel...

Mogworld - published in 2011 so not officially a litrpg BUT holds to all the tropes. The MC starts human and becomes a zombie.

A goblin's tale - there are some human MCs but the main MC starts off as a goblin.

Hero of Thera - Starts as human and ends up as a gypsy elf.

The Trapped Mind - Human MC ends up as a dwarf.

We Are Legion (Bobiverse, #1) - Not offically a litrpg, more of a sci-fi but includes some of the litrpg troops. Starts as human and ends up a space ship... yes really.

The Dark Herbalist - MC becomes a goblin. It's a russian translation and not that well a job was done on it.

Laendrea likes this.
  3. Laendrea

22%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks so much! I will give them all a try.

4. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not quite what you're asking, but Admiral of Gaia has 2 people saved from death as AI's. The MC is actually an AI. And during the series, there are various aliens introduced, and one of the AI's chooses an alien shape instead of a human shape. The series is called AI Destiny.

More cyberpunk than LitRPG, but bordering on what you were asking.

5. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    IDK if this counts, but all the players in my Forever Fantasy Online series start as human and are immediately trapped as their characters--most of whom are non-human--not in a game, but the game world turned into a real one. Both main POVs of the series have to deal with their character's race being actual instead of digital. In terms of what goes on with the non-human parts of things, the story has both fun with it (cat-people can see in the dark!) and the problems/inhumanity ("I am an asexual stone elemental...")

So, while it's not technically transformation fantasy, it's pretty close. Sample chapters, reviews, and buy links on my site. (Kindle, KU, Audible, Paperback)

Here's the blub and then I'll shut up. ^_^

Could you survive?

In the real world, twenty-one-year-old library sciences student Tina Anderson is invisible and under-appreciated, but in the VR-game Forever Fantasy Online she's Roxxy—the respected leader and main tank of a top-tier raiding guild. In the real world, her brother James Anderson is a college drop-out struggling under debt, but in FFO he's famous—an explorer who’s gotten every achievement, done every quest, and collected all the rarest items.

Both Tina and James need the game more than they'd like to admit, but their favorite escape turns into a trap when FFO becomes a living world. Wounds are no longer virtual, stupid monsters become cunning, NPCs start acting like actual people, and death might be forever.

Everyone said being good at video games was a waste of time. Now, stranded and separated across thousands of miles of new, deadly terrain, Tina and James’s skill at FFO is the only thing keeping them alive. It’s going to take every bit of their expertise—and hoarded loot—to find each other and get back home, but as enemies close in and the damage adds up, being the best in the game may no longer be enough.​

6. Laendrea

22%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice! I was more looking for a fantasy take on the topic, but will definitely give sci-fi a try. Thank you!

7. Laendrea

22%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, I have this series in my reading list already! I will give the first book a try this week. I see the MC is the main tank? That is going to huuurt...! :p

TravisBach likes this.
  8. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks! ^_^

9. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ever read Red Alert (The MurderBot Diaries)? It's a pretty funny scifi series done from the POV of a terminator who jailbroke herself but doesn't want to exterminate humanity and instead obsessively watches Netflix while attempting to avoid discovery.

Yuli Ban likes this.
  10. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, haven't seen that one. Sounds interesting though.

Edit: Seems to have been renamed. Now All Systems Red. I downloaded the sample.

Yuli Ban and TravisBach like this.
  11. YonEye

YonEye Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Chrysalis is a great story about a crazy man becoming an ant and leveling up in the dungeons and beyond

Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? (So I'm a spider, so what?) is well known

Tensei Shitara Suraimu Datta Ken (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime) is a classic

Yuli Ban and TravisBach like this.