New Doctor Who - the "pocket Doctor"...

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved the first episode. I think she's going to pull off taking over the role.

I'm calling her the "pocket doctor" for now. Heh.

16566262-low-res-doctor-who-series-11.jpg

War Doctor likes this.
  2. Andre Pisco

Andre Pisco Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really have to watch it

War Doctor likes this.
  3. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just watched it... and... I don't know... I liked everything else except for the alien and the sci-fi concept used for the first episode. It's just... silly, and rather sloppy. It's just too many ideas thrown in without any real coherence or cleverness. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheese, and this one you can argue was meant to be cheesy, but somehow the tone wasn't completely right. It's like they're trying way too hard to... do something, but it's unclear what that something is.

(I watched all the Noo-who but stopped some time during the second season with Matt Smith, since while I loved Amy, I couldn't stand the Doctor, and the tone was way too... serious.)

That said, a lot of past Doctors started with dubious-quality episodes, so I'll definitely be watching the next. :p

War Doctor likes this.
  4. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If the rest of the season is as entertaining as the first, I am going to put my Who fan hat back on again.

War Doctor and Andre Pisco like this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's pretty much Dr. Who in a nutshell. I mean, this is literally a thing that happened in one of the episodes I watched trying to sample other seasons before deciding whether or not I like the show:

[​IMG]

War Doctor likes this.
  6. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dr. Who was bit of a culture shock for me, way back when I lived in UK. I am still not sure what to think about it :)

War Doctor likes this.
  7. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, that thing is super cheesy. Dr Who is supposed to be so cheesy-bad it's good (with splashes of low-budgeted genius scares), but this new alien thing is just... uh, gross? Well, to be fair, I guess you can say it's cheesy-bad gross, but that's kinda like a different aesthetics for me. That skin thing is OMG that's so bad *giggles* -- this new alien thing with
    TEETH
    on his face is more OMG that's so bad *ewwwwww what the heck were you thinking that's not scary that's just disgusting*

Dang... gotta get some sleep.

War Doctor and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  8. got_angst

got_angst Level 8 (Thug) Fantasy Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My wife and I both agree that she seems a lot like David Tennant - definitely not a bad thing. I think she'll do great, but the pacing feels really slow. I thought Capaldi's 2nd season was far better than his 1st. I'm hoping this is just growing pains.

War Doctor likes this.
  9. theritualist9

theritualist9 Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Horrible season, mainly because of BAD writing from chinball!

War Doctor likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't watched the finale yet. Of the rest, I liked at least a couple episodes. The Pakistan one and the Rosa Parks ones were decent. I have hopes for season two, but we'll see.

War Doctor likes this.
  11. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just found this thread from the Facebook post.

So a year has passed since the last post, and the final episode of Jodie's second season has aired.

Interesting that Chibnal did up his game somewhat in the second season, and went back to telling an ongoing clues story leading to a finale over the whole season.

I will actually pay the final 'revelation' about the Doctor, and the fact it does answer one of the Tom Baker era continuity errors which was created when in the Davison era they declared there were only 13 regenerations.

Did everyone see the second or so of 'Brain of Morbius' footage?

I hate it the Master is yet again not put into a timeline context, especially since Missy was dead dead no regeneration dead. But the Doctor revelation does overshadow this. And of course, we can assume he's still not dead, even though the cybers are.

But overall, while not a great season, some glimpses of normality are now poking through.

12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just finished it yesterday with Oma. We liked the doctor, but we DID NOT like the writers most of this or the last season either.

That said, the canon world building in the last episode was neat.

So, there's two doctors now? That could be cool. Or will they kill one off? Oma says it's this season's last one, but I haven't read up on it...

13. HunterLegacyUniverse

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No. Just 1 Doctor.

The revelation about the Doctor is the Doctor was not a Timelord, but a species whose dna was appropriated to create the Timelords.

The other reveals are the Doctor appears to be immortal, which explains the random regenerations when the Timelords had control, and the 13 limit on regenerations was a coding limit put in place by the dna splicer who created them. The Doctor though, has never had any limit on regenerations.

We were shown an earlier Doctor in Ireland, being given a memory wipe, said memory going into the Matrix, which was subsequently purged.

What it means is the Doctor has lived many more lives than we know about, with memory wipes and forced childhood regenerations every 13.

The second Doctor comes from a time before his last memory wipe. So for that Doctor, she cant recognize the current one, because the past ones can't recognize a future self. The current Doctor on the other hand has no memory of the other doctor due to the memory wipes.

The other thing was the Timelord who was with the Dragoon, was from a much earlier Galifrey, before the time when they stopped using time travel for interfering. Possibly even tens of thousands of years before the William Hartnell incarnation was 'born'.

Guessing, but that's how it felt to me.

It explains the Brain of Morbius past lives which never has been explained until now, all the ones before Hartnell being from the previous 13 regeneration cycle. Because they were stored in the matrix, the machine Morbius created had access.

14. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Normally, I binge the Doctor, but the writing this season really hurt me. There were gems like the Tesla episode, but the Master felt... phoned in maybe? The episodes also felt preachy instead of an adventure. Very few were what I was looking for, but Jodie herself is a fantastic Doctor. She is the sole reason I kept watching. You can tell she has the range, but that she wasn't allowed to shine in the role.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. HunterLegacyUniverse

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would agree with that.

Actually the one thing I've wondered since Colin Baker is why writers ignore the actors coming into the role, and why producers do such stupid things with costumes and characters, when the actor actually had much better ideas on how to play the role.

16. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think they ignored her. I think they used the fact we had a female Doctor to 'tackle issues.' We had The Civil Rights movement, pollution, women's contributions to the war and technology, and other social issues, and those episodes fell flat for me (Except for the Three Women episode - I liked that one minus the Master). But Mirror World? Tesla vs Space Scorpians? The 'First' Doctor? Those were fun! Jodie showed who the Doctor should be.

Creepy Tooth guy? Failed in many ways for me.

Edit: I also think they leaned hard into Matt Smith and our Old Doctor Capalie. They just feel like they're holding back on letting her loose.

17. HunterLegacyUniverse

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure why they went with who they did for the Master, but yes, creepy tooth guy fits. And failed for me too.

Letting her loose? I don't think the writers know how to. Or they are scared of all the 'the doctor is male' people who don't want to see Jodie let loose.

But had they let her loose from day 1, no-one would be questioning her in the role. IMO.

18. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nearly at the end of the saga this time, and Shelly was a good episode too. Better than I thought it would be, but again, it was the Dr Who we'd known and loved.