New Doctor Who - the "pocket Doctor"...

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved the first episode. I think she's going to pull off taking over the role.

I'm calling her the "pocket doctor" for now. Heh.

16566262-low-res-doctor-who-series-11.jpg

2. Andre Pisco

Andre Pisco Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really have to watch it

3. Windfall

Windfall Level 17 (Theurgist) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just watched it... and... I don't know... I liked everything else except for the alien and the sci-fi concept used for the first episode. It's just... silly, and rather sloppy. It's just too many ideas thrown in without any real coherence or cleverness. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheese, and this one you can argue was meant to be cheesy, but somehow the tone wasn't completely right. It's like they're trying way too hard to... do something, but it's unclear what that something is.

(I watched all the Noo-who but stopped some time during the second season with Matt Smith, since while I loved Amy, I couldn't stand the Doctor, and the tone was way too... serious.)

That said, a lot of past Doctors started with dubious-quality episodes, so I'll definitely be watching the next. :p

4. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If the rest of the season is as entertaining as the first, I am going to put my Who fan hat back on again.

Andre Pisco likes this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's pretty much Dr. Who in a nutshell. I mean, this is literally a thing that happened in one of the episodes I watched trying to sample other seasons before deciding whether or not I like the show:

[​IMG]

6. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen

54%
    xp:
    Zone:
    THE Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dr. Who was bit of a culture shock for me, way back when I lived in UK. I am still not sure what to think about it :)

7. Windfall

Windfall Level 17 (Theurgist) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, that thing is super cheesy. Dr Who is supposed to be so cheesy-bad it's good (with splashes of low-budgeted genius scares), but this new alien thing is just... uh, gross? Well, to be fair, I guess you can say it's cheesy-bad gross, but that's kinda like a different aesthetics for me. That skin thing is OMG that's so bad *giggles* -- this new alien thing with
    TEETH
    on his face is more OMG that's so bad *ewwwwww what the heck were you thinking that's not scary that's just disgusting*

Dang... gotta get some sleep.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  8. got_angst

got_angst Level 5 (Veteran) Fantasy Author Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My wife and I both agree that she seems a lot like David Tennant - definitely not a bad thing. I think she'll do great, but the pacing feels really slow. I thought Capaldi's 2nd season was far better than his 1st. I'm hoping this is just growing pains.

9. theritualist9

theritualist9 Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Horrible season, mainly because of BAD writing from chinball!

10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't watched the finale yet. Of the rest, I liked at least a couple episodes. The Pakistan one and the Rosa Parks ones were decent. I have hopes for season two, but we'll see.