Next steps for the settlement in God’s eye

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Mister Bill, Jan 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Spoilers if you haven’t read the book!

What should the next steps for the settlement be?

The temple likely is finished building. The palisade should be about done. They can’t do much inside the temple but presumably the predators won’t wait around once the food is gone.

What should they do? Which buildings should they put up? How many should go adventuring in the nearby hexes? How many new folks will get summoned on the first day of the tenday? What kinds of abilities will they have? Etc.

PokemonThug likes this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Step one

Create a stone wall capable of standing up to the larger predators. This will likely take up a very large part of his remaining faith points.

step two

summon as many people as possible with the remaining settlement points.

Step three

Water, food, clothing, and housing. To get those they'll need to explore the nearby hexes for forage and prepare to fish in the ocean until basic farms can start outputting sufficient food. They should be prepared to lose at least a few people to predators and to experimentation as they test whether local fruits and plants are poisonous or toxic.

At least they have some food.

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good thoughts.

Do you think it’s settlement points for summoning or faith points that are used?

I would absolutely send out folks to the nearby hexes and try to get them to spend the minimum time to get a % for exploration.

4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right settlement points should be faith points in this case.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. TWW101

TWW101 Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Step 1: They don't have a stone wall blue print so could only manually build a level 0 stone wall (can't use faith points unless they first use faith on research and find the blue print)
    Step 2: True
    Step 3: He got the fishing and farming tech so they can follow your food paths. They learned gathering 1 tech, they should be identify edible plants without experimentation. I don't think they can make more clothing/armor yet, but they all spawn with a set.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. TWW101

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The book ended on the night of the 9th day, so soon the 10th day will start soon. Right now he has 103,944 faith.
    The wood situation is unclear at this point. He got 500 as a quest reward, but then spent 880 on the palisade. If he has no wood, he needs to work on getting some more to build almost anything.

I would spend the faith to manifest the last blood of an earth god. Maybe it will move him along the path of noticing his blood also is providing power and feed it to his people/land/plants/relic. Depending on how the ogre bloodline works he could try and get a pantherkin bloodline.

It seems like military damage is going to come from rangers in the near future (and exploration depending on how things work in this system). I think he needs to save enough faith to quick build a Ranger's Lodge. It also said "-25% cost to producing of producing rangers" Gods Eye, pg 708. Do all classes cost something or are rangers special? If it is all classes, I assume they cost faith which is something else that I would save faith for 10+ rangers.
    Building with faith is so much faster than with workers, but I think he should go for the additional population from faith: building teams, gathering teams, and faith generation.
    I would also save maybe 100 faith so he can keep cultivating and to make sure he has no down time (though he has some souls he can cultivate with right now).

I am hoping he can summon some ogres between the 100% increased devotion conversion of 3 kings natives and killing the tribe, acolyte, and the god, but won't know for sure before the next book. Since the ogres started with 80 in the tribe versus the pantherkins 200, even if he can summon more ogres, I am going to assume that they cost 2.5 times more faith. He is not going to be as in sync with them as the pantherkin so their devotion and traits wouldn't be as useful long term, but being able to add a couple could really help him shore up his forces. If possible I'd create at least one heroic soul ogre, level him up to at least 1 with faith, feed him the blood line (if it works that way) and use the free acolyte token on him for the melee only soul strike (if he doesn't have a class). Then maybe create 4 or 5 ogres from the common level soul pool (hoping to get a lucky upgrade) to see how effective they are for the future. Are they more than 2.5x (or whatever the cost difference is) as effective in a quarry or gathering wood compared to a pantherkin?

Just to run the settlement now, I'd think you want 5 fishers (or maybe fewer to start with depending on how many people they can provide food for), 5 farmers, 10 builders (2 teams with a final team count dependent on resource generation/building speed/blue print acquisition to keep working constantly), 5 researchers, 5 loggers (or more if he is in need of extra resources), 10 rangers (might need a bowmaker, but we'll have to see), and then you'd have the 5 basic ogres to play around with. Most of the buildings don't take stone yet (and the quarry isn't built) so that adding people for that might wait until the next 10 day. This would mean adding at least 30-35 pantherkin at least. If just adding someone from the common soul pool is 2500, faith, I would fill up on common souls (hoping for free upgrades) and get on with other things. If a draw from the common soul pool is 100-1000 faith, that gives a lot more leeway to draw from the higher soul pools. In that case, I would draw as many people from as high as possible (when no other settlements have access to an altar) to from a core group and draw the rest from the common pool with the rest of his faith.

Building: I would have one worker group start on the rock totem (he definitely has stone) and the other group on the fishing hut (?). If he was able to summon more people and has extra resources other things to build (not sure about the ordering, but here is my priority list without knowing exactly what they do): Quarry, Barracks, Herb Hut, fighting pit (xp/skill increase? fighting spirit?), a couple long houses, storage shed (if he going to lose food/lumber this could be moved up, but it is unclear to me if that is the case), and archery range (might be superfluous with rangers hall). It hasn't said the requirements to give people the builder class he has access to, but if it is like him, it could be something like produce 5 bp or build 5 buildings (I would start with 5 in the builder class at least and if they can't keep up, upgrade the other team). Eventually build some sort of defense to prevent attacks from the beach. Hope building levels the industrious racial trait.

Research: Basic building II. I am usually a fan of construction speed because the effects can snow ball, but since he can build things in parallel with enough people or with faith, it might not be the next best research. It does unlock a building to increase research speed though which seems like it is going to be the main bottle neck unless he spends faith on it.

Lattice: While he is stuck with the dinosaur outside, he should find out more information about the access he has to the lattice. Is there a cost to go to/come back from the other worlds? If he tries to initiate a transfer, does it give him level/tier recommendations? Does it take time to go there and back or is it an instant stargate? If it is free and there are no recommendations, I would pop over to all 3 and see what is there. If all the creatures and challenges are level 25 or something, he knows he can ignore it for a while. Since it said in the story that the mana came from the lattice inward to the planet, things in the lattice should have had higher mana levels longer, the creatures there probably have higher levels/tiers.

Exploration: He has exploration points to spend. Depending on if they can swim or how long it is going to take to boat, he could spend the points to start exploring the island area his people can't easily reach. He can send the rangers out exploring the land. In his area he can probably identify things as special, but might need someone to go to them to count them as "found" (hopefully for a bonus). Alternatively can starting getting exploration points in areas he doesn't own. Of the area surrounding his starting hex, at least one is another water hex so the other 2 are either land or water. If he is going to spread his influence to them, I would take a quick walk through them but fully explore farther away.
    If he is able to get a surplus of people and the could build shrines, he could send them to start mapping the Great Bridge of Serathia to find new continents and get more top 7 religious domains. Unfortunately, I doesn't seem like he can build shrines yet so hitting new continents might only give an exploration bonus right now.

Other goals:
    • Add a soul to his state of being. It has been empty for 8 days and he has passed up other souls he could have added. Of those we have seen, I might have added orbweaver solider, but he could have added the unnamed level 2 creature that attacked the cubs when they were walking back through the forest as well.
    • Tell his follower to pray to him once a day so they can keep a rolling luck buff up.
    • Feed the eaglebear one more god to eat or convince one to give up divine power (or 3 more if the prompt was badly worded). Not sure exactly how this would work. Would his influence have to overlap with another god, could his people capture a god (can they remove a god from his area of influence?), are there objects with divine power, or does he wait until he meets another god in the lattice?
    • Pick one eaglebear cub and feed it souls to mature it. I think with average luck it is like 32 more? See how useful an adult is compared to other uses of souls to see if you should level up more. If he can't summon ogres, having the eaglebears as melee would be more benificial.
    • Finish leveling his title. It should be at most 4 more kills or already leveled (not sure if the god or cleric were killed in the title effect). The first cleric was counted as common so unless that was a mistake, maybe they are taking about the mob scale (common(?), lessor elites, elites, greater elites,...).
    • He could also be trying to level his honored foe's panegyric prayer. All it says all he has to do is to lay his hands on a dead or dying foe and say "final rest". It does cost faith, but anything that levels up is good right? Maybe some magic would have kept the other god from wanting revenge (though the god was screwed over).
    • Hunt game and level up him and his people/fighters.
    • Learn leatherworking/skinning and mining/smithing to be able to make his people more effective.
    • Raise his cultivation. He should be cultivating whenever he has down time.
    • At some point get more clerics, he has enough divine points to create a third right now, but it might be better if he gets back to rank 1 if it helps him explore the lattice.
    • Convert other people to be his followers. Easiest should be unclaimed tribes.
    • Find the prime relic in the 3 kings "Brightest night shows the Darkest Light". I am not sure what brightest night means besides 3 full moons, but if that is the clue, it seems like something that is going to happen rarely with long gaps in between. Unless this too is some sort of sponsor hacks. The only other link I can see is 3 moons and the area is called 3 kings, but if that is linked, I don't know how darkest light would fit in.
    • Spread out a net of shrines and altars around the world (allowing him to maybe jump from area to area?).
    • Form or join a pantheon, but I would guess he'd form one.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They diden't have a palisade blueprint either ;)

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. TWW101

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was unlocked from basic building I which was the free talent the Rasin started with.

9. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Liked simply for the sheer post effort. Welcome.

Legend-Dairy-Reader likes this.
  10. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dude. So much going on here and exactly what I was hoping for with this thread. Great thinking!

I totally agree on the rangers and getting folks out to explore. Also with his personal leveling and such. I really like the idea of leveling one cub up to see how much use it’ll be.
    Once we get some answers on costs we’ll know how viable all of this is. I don’t think he’ll get the ogres but it’s possible. I certainly agree on getting the best souls if there’s no competition. Get them at low prices and make your settlement start very strongly.

11. Legend-Dairy-Reader

Legend-Dairy-Reader Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don’t forget there is a prime relic hidden in his zone. The difference between a prime relic (numbered 1-3 of its specific rank) and his current relic (numbered 225) should be massive and potentially world shaking. That should be his number 1 priority just behind survival. We don’t know how big his zone is so exploration should be his primary focus which I think will synergize well with his rangers.

PokemonThug and Mister Bill like this.
  12. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is it his zone or his continent? I can’t remember.

13. Legend-Dairy-Reader

Legend-Dairy-Reader Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Worldwide Announcement! Congratulations to God Zero Fell for establishing the first religious domain on Telos! Home of Three Kings is now known as the Religious Cradle of the world! To celebrate this, a Prime Relic will be hidden in this zone! Great power awaits any immortal who can claim it! Be guided by these words: “Brightest Night shows Darkest Light”

We don’t know how big a zone is, but I doubt it is the same as a continent considering Richter is located in between 4 zones.

Mister Bill likes this.
  14. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good points. When I read it I think I assumed it meant the continent. I think you’re much more likely to be correct.

15. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you think some of the people who die can show up again in the sea of souls for respawn? (like his acloytes or Caulder from the land)

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Caulder is likely undead. Richter sees the remnants of his skeleton and later those remnants are gone.

Its possible that the same soul can be picked from the sea of souls but I think that would undermine the sense of impact from loses.

Remy has chosen the path of the conqueror rather than the builder. Remy means to conquer the world to bring peace. I imagine he will build a varied pantheon of gods that contain a variety of gods, some of whom will be builders.

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He might get the option to Spawn/Summon a type of Ogre Sized/like Panther Kin variant Race instead?

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he’ll be able to spawn some ogres (which would help a lot) and may eventually get some variants or totally different races, too.

19. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good notice on the hobbit wall(7 feet). Our wall is so small, that it only literally protects us from f** hobbits. Still making a full stone wall for 1.6 miles.. gonna cost you an arm and a leg. In labor like 1 k dudes working for 5 years.(Quary, food, medicine, protection, building, etc.. ) not sure about fate points.
    If we simply use a Roman wall instead:
    [​IMG]
    add a ditch of 6 feet +-. Or use Fate points and add a bigger ditch like 20 feet. with spikes at the bottom. Easy protection. even vs Mega Rex.
    Which should be good enough. If its needed in the first place. Not sure if Mega Rex and other beasts will be climbing it over every night.

Now like in every RTS game you must considered the trade-offs. If we will be building a wall for next 5 years. And our enemies will be expanding, gaining new followers, and conquering other God's territories, getting godly items... After a few months we will have an army that even our newly created pantheon can't stop. this is always a decision. Weather to turrtle up or expand. If you expand too quickly and can't protect your bases you are overrun. But if don't expand and your enemies do.. you lose. Cause they have more followers and resources.

Needs:
    • Weapons,(How many other godlings with their tribes are coming soon?)
    • Shelter,
    • Water,
    • Food,
    • Building, Crafting, Exploring, Science...
    Now we have three choices: economy, military or 50/50 split. Pretty much how much effort towards militaristic goals we will put.

Priorities(depending on the settlement rules):
    • Secure base: Secure the base from attacks. I do not expect that we will be attacked like last time, because its quite early, but having ~10 citizens eaten every day does not paint a nice picture. This depends if the wall is good enough on a standard day/night. Archer dude should take care of most problems due to his super skillset.
    • Godly item: Take Muyamoshi & a few other acolytes and scout the tallest mountain/tree(or a few) during daytime. Then during a really dark night Climb to the top and try to see the shiny Godly artifact. Maybe use a spell to summon clouds to cover up the moon. or something
    • +1 lvl: I'd love to have a leveling path through the node road to get exp. for newbies. Simple fast easy + 1 lvl. Not sure about easy exploration to other continents that migh get the party killed I think as the book told.
    • Stone Weapons: super simple to make, very deadly, pretty much as arrows go as steel. And now literally they could not hurt the Ogers
    • General hunting, fishing, ditch digging, deep diving trap making...
    • Boat project: build a boat explore other continents and do some fishing too!

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Needs more machine gun emplacements.