Oaths

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At this point we have learned about the following oaths. There are likely others, such as those spoken in a courtroom (imagine how much the justice system could be simplified if we had magically binding oaths. A simple "did you do it, yes or no", under magically binding oaths to say the full truth, would pretty much eliminate wrongful imprisonment ).

1) Favor. Thrice heard and witnessed, it binds the speaker to do a service on behalf of whoever holds the other end. Richter owed one to a demon, now replaced by a quest.
    2) Fealty. Sworn by the villagers to Richter. The kindir will most likely swear a similar oath
    3) Bloodoath. Time limited, 1 year. After that a cost of one charisma per week, permanent loss. Likely other punishments if the first isn't enough or Richter hits 0 charisma.

Apart from the bloodoath having special time constraints, I think its likely the system of fighting holds for all types of oaths and not just favors, meaning that if you break an oath you face the other party in a duel that might bring about extra punishments. After that you'd still face the hit to reputation, fame, relationships and so on. Pretty weighty reasons to keep your word.

In the case of chaos seeds, would they lose their chaos points and have their extra lives/ enhancements/ abilities reduced to their value in chaos points? Perhaps not all of it depending on the severity of the breach and how much they lose the duel, but at least part?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Minor nit pick, the blood oath is for a year but I think there are 14 months in the Land? I remember him having some 400+ days to complete the oath but I can't find it with a cursory search

Dragon likes this.
  3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, thats an error on my part.

4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that a Year in The Land is other 500 hundred days, I Asked Aleron around Bk3 and I don't remember the exact amount but I'm pretty sure it was over 500(but less then 560) spread over 14 months.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, how the hell can the imp offer a quest where failure means he gets all of Richter's experience? Is that just part of the power of quests/oaths/deals in the land or is it a special demon thing? Could Richter do that now that he can dish out quests?

Johan likes this.
  6. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great quest for some Kaos Seeds. Make a quest that they practically can't refuse, but realistically can't complete. Then get them back to down to level 1. I love it, but is out of character.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He probably can. The thing is, quests are usually either voluntary or forced upon you by the neutral universe, so while you could set up any conditions no one would accept truly unreasonable conditions. It could also be considered fair recompense, the demon might still find the strength somehow to seize Richter's soul and even if not, the consequences for oathbreaking are supposed to be very severe. Losing all his personal exp (unsure whether skills are included, could go either way) ultimately wouldn't keep Richter down for long as he has Alma to farm exp for him thereas losing 2-3 relationship ranks with every other faction known or unknown, would be a very heavy price for his kingdom.

8. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This made me think of the wording of the prompt. I don't have it in fron of me, but i thought it said if he fails, the imp gets his total accumulated experience. Technically, at the moment Richter has a massive experience deficit. How awesome would it be if the imp takes over the deficit instead.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Huh maybe, but with how the imp explained it, it sounded like his total XP from day 1.

10. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Im sure youre right, but it would be a hilarious twist if the imp didnt know about the extra ability of essence enchanting.

Johan likes this.
  11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suggested this on the Facebook post. Right before he fails the quest, convert all his XP. Or because the imp will screw him over anyway, do that and soul bound the item the orc queen has when he gets it.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he would take the exp Richter borrows against, leaving richter with the deficit and possibly severe punishments from the universe for breaking the rules of his talent/ increased cost for being far above his borrowing limits. It wouldn't make sense for the universe to give the imp Richter's debt, Richter is still level xx after using his exp as collateral, meaning he still has it.

13. Abe fromen

Abe fromen Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is it just me or was it suspicious that the quest prompt did not indicate that Richter had to give the wand to the imp. Only that he had to steal the wand.

Joe Schmoe and Johan like this.
  14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wondering if the Wand might not be Cursed in someway?

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought the same. Which is where my soul bound idea came from. Don't give it to him but dont prevent him from taking it. Then when he kills Richtær to 'send him home', the soul bound item will come with.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or if the soul bond doesn't teleport it along in death (rip black ice) it would still prevent the imp from using it as anything but a nice stick.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On a complete tangent.

Could the imp ensure Richter fails the quest? As in, could he destroy or move the wand? Or even snatch the wand away by using Richter to clear the way? Gotta get both wand and Richter's exp if possible.

18. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If the Imp teleported in and took the wand on his own, then Richtær would also fail the quest.