Okay everyone, mock my cover :P

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Alexis Keane, Oct 15, 2017.

?

Am I a talentless hack :)

1. Yes

30.0%
  2. Yes

10.0%
  3. Yes

60.0%
  1. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay guys :p
    Any feedback welcome... it' only for RRL so I'm not too concerned if it's too awful.
    First time ever drawing a cover (i know the legs of the guy probably need work, etc.)
    Might also change the title to Dungeon Spawned or something since The Bound Dungeon is a title on RRL, then again a prefer DB vs DS.
    [​IMG]

Jay, Avatar, Wolfgarr and 1 other person like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Title is too dark. Here's what I do... screenshot an Amazon book page with multiple listings. Copy and paste your cover and shrink it down to that size.

You want to be able to read the title and make out more at thumbnail size. So, I'd make the title white with bigger text.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  3. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks (don't forget to vote lol) you're right about the title, though I'm leaning towards giving it a white outline and enlarging it rather than simply turning it white.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Careful with the outlines. Keep checking it at thumbnail size.

The trick with covers is to make it all seem like a seamless piece of art - nothing popping out too much.

Not a bad start, though. You did the art on your own?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  5. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it's my first time doing digital art and I thought I would give it a shot

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Rule of Thirds is also important, but it's not as bad as some I've seen over the years. ;)

[​IMG]

Alexis Keane likes this.
  7. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you don't want to change the color at least give it an outline to make it more defined. That will help it stand out a bit more.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Like the art, but I agree the text needs work in both the title and the tagline. The black doesn't show up well and the red seems too weak. White might be better or some sort of texture to bring it out.

Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.
  9. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Awesome thanks :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    the art is ok but as mentioned the text is blending in with the backdrop colours.

I didn't even notice the little black tagline at first. Never place dark on dark or bright on bright.
    might want to alter the tag line's colour to say... golden see through? like the flame just burned that part of the image..

Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.
  11. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try altering it soon

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Alexis Keane likes this.
  13. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol!

Wolfgarr likes this.
  14. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean, for a first-time cover, it's not half bad. I know some people might go "Wow, someone cheaped out on a cover designer", but those types are always gonna put you down. Better than anything I could do, for sure.

15. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Besides the text improvements the others mentioned, I'd rework the pose of the figures. Basically, the best advice is one I read on Elfwood AGES ago about exactly the pose of your humans:
    Take some props - a mop for a spear, a knife for a dagger, a blanket for a cape - get in the pose you want to draw, and have a photo taken from the desired angle. Then use that for your draft, and that will help you to get the limb/body ratio, perspective distortion, etc right.

Alternatively, you could experiment with a 3D software, but learning one of those takes a lot of time. The benefit, though, is that you can take snapshots from different angles for better dramatic effect, etc.

Other than that, I do like that misty effect you drew, the reaper's cloths (and face) are great, and placing your foot on a skull is definitely a strange enough thing to do to make it stand out. The light focus is excellent, it draws the eye to the most important parts of the painting. Definitely a great start!

16. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks guys, it's just for royal road anyway, so it is miniaturized to all hell. It's basically there to act as a placeholder for a proper cover when I finally finish the story, so I'm not too worried as long as it's eyecatching.

I do intend to keep on doing stuff like it though. I eventually want to be able to draw some nice art of various characters, monsters and various landscapes... soooo...

Wolfgarr likes this.
  17. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    cover.jpg

I do believe you do a better job than me buddy.

18. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Better than Picasso :p

Wolfgarr likes this.
  19. Avatar

Avatar Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haha that guy only has Two feet!

Alexis Keane likes this.
  20. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure if you're making a dick joke or not... take my like anyway :p

Wolfgarr and CheshirePhoenix like this.