PC Gamer: The history of RPGs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  2. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dungeons and Dragons. Had the blue box that came with the cardboard chits. Got my first set of dice a few months later.

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My uncle gave me a copy of the white box books - i remember them as beige? They got lost over the years along with all my other D&D books. I started up when AD&D was still a thing. Fond memories of standing in bookstore in mall reading game manuals.

I think my very first adventure was with my friend's older brother in the backyard. Can't remember the campaign, but there was a crazy, senile liche. There were only three of us playing, so we each had like five characters because it was high-level. Crazy.

By the time I got to college, I hooked up with other local players and even ran a campaign of my own once. One of the clearest memories of that campaign was someone saying, "Your world sucks!" because I wouldn't let him do some crazy class-race combo.

My parents were against D&D because of Tom Hanks and the scare in the 80s, but they did allow me to buy Star Frontiers (??), which was set in space and way less cooler. I think in middle school they broke down and let me embrace my gamer self.

And Dragon magazine was a fave. Speaking of which, I just did a short blog post on the history of Pathfinder.

Do you remember your first adventure?

Zombiebreath likes this.
  4. Zombiebreath

Zombiebreath Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My brother wouldn't let me play D&D with him and his friends, but I secretly sneaked into his room and played with his painted pewter figures.

Final Fantasy I was my first, and Lordy, I loved it so. I remember the very moment I beat it. I got my first car and the guy I was in love with called me for the first time that same day, all within an hour, ah, sweet day.

I was a FFXI addict for 7 years. Screw you, SE! I can't count how many times I quit that game, then humbly went back.

5. Stevie Collier

Stevie Collier Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I guess it depends on what kind of RPG. The first MMORPG that got me sucked into roleplaying was actually Star Wars Galaxies. God, I miss that game. My first table top was DnD and that was just a year ago... and, to be honest, it's an addiction.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  6. Avatar

Avatar Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Final fantasy I, Dragon Warrior (Quest), and Ultima III & IV were the first ones I played. Totally fun

Apollos and Zombiebreath like this.
  7. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My neighbor and other brother not related gave me a brand-spankin' new box of Star Wars Galaxies, and I have a gamer laptop, but I can't do it yet. He told me about how the only way to play it now is to have those discs and codes, that the players kept the game Alive. He played it for a long time. The temptation drives me to madness.

8. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lawdy, I played Ultima constantly on an Apple IIC growing up and couldn't get enough of it. I adored that game. That, and Seven Cities of Gold.

9. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which, if any of you have played or remember Seven Cities of Gold, it's a pretty outrageous game by today's standards.

10. Stevie Collier

Stevie Collier Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ya! You can play online! I don't know how those people did it but a couple "companies" recreated SWG and you can get on their servers still. SWG EMU is the best one I hear, but it's also the only one I've tried.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  11. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mine was either Dragon Warrior or Wizardry for NES. I can't remember which. I didn't really get into the genre until playing AD&D in highschool though, followed by consuming every JRPG on Playstation and playing through the entire Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic, and D&D series on PC.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  12. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Man, I started with my uncles' D&D purple box with the premise characters ("elf" was a class, not a race) and the piss poor weight die from combinations of bad moulds and having to paint the numbers in yourself if you wanted to be able to see them.

First one I played on my own was one of the "3D" maze RPGs on the apple IIe. I want to say it was the Bard's Tale, but it might've been one of the others.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Avatar

Avatar Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved quest of the avatar, obviously.

Not just cause I could rob those blind herbalists um blind. Hehe

Zombiebreath and Paul Bellow like this.
  14. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hehe.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Star Ocean II

The very first game I bought with my own money (as a kid) for our brand new PS! I still have a Disc, I picked it for the box art and it turned into my fav. rpg.

Then again you never forget your first do you! I didn't know you'd regain your HP/MP if you slept in an inn so I spent the first four hours grinding in the starting point for food to refill them, though it was a weird circle as I needed to use more then half of them to keep up the grind. Then an event flagged that forced me to sleep in an inn and I was told I could have solved all my problems for 10 gold... pretty much the equivalent of $0.25 in that game's economy... did I mention this was my first?

Paul Bellow and Zombiebreath like this.
  16. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haha. When I first played FFXI, my truest addiction and way of life for 7 years, I spent the first week trying to figure out how to move. Then I finally figured out how to invert the axis.

17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd love to capture those feels in a novel somehow... I strive!

Zombiebreath likes this.
  18. Zombiebreath

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I bet you do! I'm so broke I can't afford your 99 cent first in series one (yeah, I looked... ;)) but I got my royalty statement and I'll have cash again when I get paid out. Yay.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The reason I dropped games all together in the early 2000's, the trend of using 3D models took away the fun as you spent forever just figuring out how to move and then how to angle the camera just right to see or solve puzzles!

Also I thought they looked butt ugly...

Love FF IX though, I must have played that one 6 times begining to end and a few times half way! truly an under-rated title!

Seagrim, Zombiebreath and Paul Bellow like this.
  20. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you don't want to write about the moron noob that spent his first day in game hunting mice and field rabbits to fill his HP bar, lost some HP per battle and so had to eat the meat from the kills raw and keep going... just to find out a week later that selling just one pelt was enough to get him a room at the inn, a hot meal and a quick heal?

I'd say such an idiot errrr lovable noob would be worth the journey XD

Zombiebreath and Paul Bellow like this.