Politics and Promises in the Land.

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How should Politics play into Alerons story at this point? Ricther has made promises and sworn revenge. With all the new Immigrants from Yves telling of hardships and worsening conditions in Yves what will Ricther do? The pressures of leadership should really ramp up. How should those pressures force Ricthers hand?

2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well he will have to go back to Yves to rescue more non humans.. but that can only be done after bugbear invasion is pushed back. Still with portals and super godly nodes traveling should be for at least a small teal easy'ish.
    I have always wanted to see a raid by Richter into the Dungeons and freeing all the captives, they would be very motivated I think. Well some of them at least. What else will/can they do?

In general I do not think Yves plays politics games much with neighbors at least. But I bet there is a lot of policies in the court of the king with all the dukes and lords..
    That;s why I'd like for MV to sponsor a Lord/duke, someone with little resources to push back vs Count Stonic politically, economically and military. In a way.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think you are dead on. We all understand that the Mist Village can’t square up with Yves. Even so I think Ricther should or would be forced to act very soon. His promise to Terrod was very significant. We know he has a timeline that is running out as some of those slaves are being sacrificed. When the next wave of immigrants arrive with momma the news of the newest crimes and abuses would arouse fresh emotions from all of Ricthers villagers. Even those that have been enslaved in the river peninsula would have strong emotions in regards to it. Aleron has created Ricther into the righteous liberator and the benevolent lord of free knowledge. I believe that he will continue down this path for his character. That alone will automatically put him at odds with many people in the Land.

With Mama Landing in the Mist Village very soon some of the roles could change. I believe Mama more capable of actually running the Mist Village. She definitely had a very important place in Yves. She also seemed to know Randolphus very well. If Mama takes over as the Mist Village task master Randy will have a lot more time for other duties. One of those is working with his future spies and rogues. Randy’s knowledge, connections, skills and abilities will be needed in Yves. With Randy’s connections Ricther should find allies willing to fight against the political hierarchy in Yves. Their should be more disenfranchised people from or in Yves besides Randy.

Andrew Lynas and Drasius like this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, but Richter could argue he IS working to save nonhumans, from far worse conditions than those faced by the nonhumans in Yves.

The goblins have many slave camps, the bugbears have been mentioned to have slaves as well and the gnolls rape and eat their captives. We don't know how many other tribes within the forest of Nadria embrace similar practices.

Tribes that Richter can conquer with his current forces.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even the most glorious, heroic order of white knights, freely sworn to the trinity of Good, Order and Justice for all, still have to accept resource limitations.

Personally, I would be focused on expansion with liberation as a secondary goal. Good or at least benevolent tribes such as the kindir should be integrated politically, tribes such as the gnolls should be conquered by force or slain if they cannot be reasoned with or taught new ways.

As i've argued elsewhere, Richter has numerous tools to aid his expansion. Access to the core buildings, weapons, potions, protection and magical healing are but a few of the things Richter can offer the minor tribes inside and outside of his lands.
    With the kindir leading the way, it shouldn't be hard to convince other tribes that Richter is a dogooder dofus with a sharp mind and an iron fist he uses against his enemies.

Drasius and Belgared like this.
  6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Expansion is a little different subject.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fair point, it was a digression.

Then to stay on the liberation angle, I would send out diplomats to as many tribes as possible, using my connections to the HM and with the kindir to get an idea of the territory or range of each tribe within striking range. Call it a hundred miles, that would be a week or two of traveltime. That gives them a search area of 31.400 square miles, or roughly 100 times the size of the current mist lands. If the same pattern of tribal distribution holds, that means 400 tribes live within that area. Probably a lot less though, and part of the area is bugbear controlled. It also does not consider the underground.

I'd then sort out the ones that do not employ slavery, eat people or have similar tendencies, and put them in the maybe stack, since we aren't looking at expansion.

The remainder i'd sort into a stack of tribes that the mist military can defeat without issues, tribes that are powerful enough to be a threat and tribes that are too powerful or have allies that are too powerful.

After that, i'd smash the weakest tribes with a conventional military force made up of mostly humans, dwarves, elves and gnomes. The kindir and sprites I would use to hunt down any of them who try to flee. A few will get away no matter what of course.

A series of such battles should clear up some of the local scum, it will play well to Terrod's sense of justice, it will please the villagers, and the liberated slaves can either be returned to their tribes earning goodwill or they may choose to stay in the village.

If past example is any judge, most will stay.

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther can argue whatever he wants. Ricther can also refuse to make good on promises as well. Although if he does there are political ramifications. I’m not denying there are smaller groups keeping, killing, and eating slaves. My point is that a very large proportion of Ricthers population have been enslaved or mistreated due to their race. Out of his village a very significant amount of them have suffered at the hands of those in power in Yves. Even Terrod the Captain of his guard was gravely affected by the actions of those in Yves. After all it was his wife that had been made a sex slave. After all of the melancholy that Terrod and his wife endured from her imprisonment I don’t think they would stand for a bunch of BS. He did promise them that he would do his best to free the others. Politically it would be very difficult not to hold to your word and keep good faith with those you have made promises to. That would be a great way to undermine your own authority as people would stop granting good faith in your word. In a world where your word is your bond it would be devastating.

Freeing slaves would be a great way to expand your village. I wouldn’t disagree with that. Actually I have been a protagonist of that for some time. Even so this isn’t just about Ricther expanding his village. This is about politics pushing Ricther to do something about an issue he has made a promise about.

Drasius likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter made the following promise in regards to the remaining nonhuman captives that were dragged into slavery.

“I will stand with you Terrod. If we can help them, we will.”

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Founding: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 1) . Aleron Kong. Kindle Edition.

If we can help them, we will. That is not a promise to wage a war of liberation to free all slaves within Yves, but to help the captives they couldn't get to during their first visit, if the opportunity comes to free them or can be created. It also lacks a timeframe, but Richter should definitely put things into motion as soon as possible.

I'm not saying Richter shouldn't act, I just think any overt move is a mistake.

Drasius likes this.