Quarantine Reads

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by 2tymes, Apr 5, 2020.

1. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Johan likes this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1rst book great, rest dont have high expectation

3. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Johan does the StarForce gets better with each book read? listened?

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I liked the early books Aer-ki jyr wrote but then it went offtrack into some cult like weirdness, that bugged the hell out of me and made me drop the series . Kids deliberately raised to be socially and emotionally stunted (as in raised offworld in facilities where they are passed from handler to handler whenever they started to develop an emotional attachment), any of the elites who enter into a personal relationship is shunned.

Then there's the fact that the good guys are basically so much better than every other being in the universe at everything. It gets a little predictable.

I might just give it another read though. See if I can get past the psycho stuff.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those of you reading from the beginning should be aware there are a hundred books in the origin series alone, so plenty to dig into. The writer is a machine, but the quality isn't that bad considering how little time he spends writing between releases.

6. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mister Bill likes this.
  7. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dragon likes this.
  8. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Still gotta get around to reading that.

9. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Insanely great books!

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm rereading David Weber books.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which ones? There are a lot of good ones. I like the honor-verse and safehold. Others are okay.

The only one I don't like so much is Out Of The Dark as that always struck me as more of a commentary off the futility in resisting an enemy with control of the orbitals and a willingness to bombard resistance centers. They only win due to vampires showing up and proving themselves able to fly into space under their own power where they basically slaughter the invaders.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At the moment th he SafeHold Series. Then probably the Honor Harrington series, although possibly the Dahak series?

I've actually just finished rereading "Out of the Dark" and it's new Sequel, "Into the Light", in that you discover some interesting things about the potential Origin of the Vampires.
    (P.S. They didn't actually Fly into Space under their own power, they basically clung onto the outside of the Shuttles till they landed on the main Space Ships.)

Dragon and Mister Bill like this.
  13. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read a ton of those honorverse books. So good!

Dragon likes this.
  14. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lets see what tcha got

15. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alright just blasted my way through the ritualist series then the divine dungeon series. Obviously not the 'correct' order (which I now know, whoops) but it actually worked out pretty well. Didn't feel lost in either and worked kinda like an origin story. Also for those interested the divine dungeon series is available on kindle as a complete set for only 1 download. Five books taking up only 1/10 slots in your free read list.

I'd say it compares. Doesn't seem to be the same universe but I think it holds up.

PokemonThug likes this.
  16. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean First books are great but got stuck on like dungeon book 3 or 4 when in intro things were progressing just so slowly...

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  17. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    any chance to crate a sub forum for L.M. Kerr Reborn Apocalypse books? He is super good! like really great.
    @Johan? I suggest you listen to some audible versions this is gold!

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know if you read them before he removed it, but there WAS a 3rd Reborn: Apocalypse book. LMK took it down to re-edit it before he works on the 4th book.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    PokemonThug likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He is pretty good, but I much preferred the first world over the second. He threw aside the moronic "everyone is a sociopath, yet society magically works" trope so common in wuxia and made characters with real motivations such as godfather or the villainous director.

Even the vile bandit/pirate brothers felt like realistic one-dimensional villains that might just have risen to power in the total chaos of the early years. Its not like one-dimensional villainous assholes don't exist (along with their opposites), such people are just rare. Complex motivations are much more common.

It was sad godfather died, but it did set up the big bad for later in the series while leaving the godfather organisation as defacto ruler of the first layer.

This should mean a lot more humans survives in coming waves. More fodder for the wars to come.

PokemonThug likes this.
  20. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "Evil laughter"
    hahahahaha...
    I am the Reclusiarch of the Great Black Templar's! My reach is infinite and by the Holy Emperors will There is nothing I can not acquire!!!
    Reclusiarch - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

There plenty of sources to get these hidden/removed books:
    how would you look for these gems??
    Wiz is creating Web Novels - Reborn: Apocalypse | Patreon (if u wanna also read 4th books chapters 9 are out already!!!!)
    or starpage.com and search for the books for free... found the 3rd edition removed form amazon. also used some really fun +- bearable reader app of text.. its not a total sh$t! half decent.. though reading is better.

Paul Bellow likes this.