ALL THESE Ran’dolphinius

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Johan, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    00 second page!

Dragon likes this.
  2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wonder what the Obscured Vision Mark does? Is it beneficial or possibly even hinders him in someway?

Johan likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Both maybe?

4. SnackBarbarian

SnackBarbarian Level 8 (Thug) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wanna know how many stats he gets per level since he’s a half Human /half Undine since stat allocation is Erratic in racial blends. I’m guessing it’s +1 to Wisdom, Charisma and Luck with maybe 3 extra free points per level.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rando Calphinius

6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Will Randy go full Human, Elemental, Udine, or other for Tier 2 (if gained).

7. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He has to get spy bonuses to charisma

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ““Twice before I have made a Blood Oath,” Ran’dolphinius pronounced. “Once, to my father, I swore to never to sit upon the throne of Yves and to forever serve his bloodline. I did so faithfully until the new King cast me from his service when he learned of my true lineage.”

— The Land: Predators: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 7) by Aleron Kong

Is this perhaps why the king of Yves has become so racist?

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think its the reverse, he was driven out for being a nonhuman. The fact that Randy is a halfblood probably makes it worse.

It may also be the reason he wasn't killed, the new king was terrified that others learn someone from HIS family had sired a monstrosity.

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Full human would be a downgrade. Maybe he remains halfblooded, taking some of the traits from tier 2 humans and tier 2 undines.

11. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think evolutions always have set race. Some appear to directly change race, changing body mind and soul. Others appear to simply upgrade only one or two of the categories (body, mind, soul, special, and aura). It is likely that Randy would be offered evolutions that upgrade him to a Tier 2 Half-Undine.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or a Full T2 Undine or T2 Human or an offshoot of either, or even something completely different.

13. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, this is my thinking, too. New king is already specist and kicks him out upon learning he’s half undine.

14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Usually killing someone will prevent others from finding out any family relation beyond the public story already known.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On the contrary. Killing off a loyal family retainer after decades of services is a suspicious move worth investigating. Ditto disappearing him.
    Its also not something said retainer's subordinates and colleagues will like, and the administration can easily make things difficult regardless of who the ruler is.

Not to mention the inherent risks in spilling the blood of a nobleman without some sort of charge justifying it to all those other nobles out there.

On the flipside, if Randy leaves on his own and is murdered in the street by a bunch of streethugs, well that's not the king's fault is it? Set it up right, and suddenly the nonhumans slaughtered a high-ranking nobleman over a few silvers.

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking on a Dungeon dive, and he is old as hell "he had a good life".

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Both ideas make sense and are smarter than just running him out. But maybe the new king isn’t terribly smart.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well i think its a solid assumption that the king meant to kill Randolphus eventually. Nobles are no more stupid than anyone else though - arguably they were often smarter and at least better educated than the local peasantry - so the king might have wanted to wait a while to make it more believable that he wasn't involved.

On the flipside, I don't think Randy was free to leave the city of Law or do much more than stay at mama's (which might also have afforded him a bit of security, assuming he stays indoors). At least not until some outsider fool showed up with a hairbrained scheme to set up a village in the middle of nowhere, needing hundreds of people and a ship. Suddenly there was a getaway option.

Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your right that the aristocracy and Nobles should be smarter, mostly do to private tutoring and time. They gain different skill sets but it's like having a mentor with you everyday. I hope Aleron doesn't make the ones in law anything but very smart.

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some of them likely are, just as some will be incredibly arrogant precisely because they are welleducated with the time to study the martial, magical and administrative arts.

I've made the observation elsewhere that a noble heir could conceivably start out at more than double the regular stats at level 1, due to childhood/ teenage training regiments.

There is a dwarf child mentioned in book 8 who is taken by his father (local thane i believe) to begin stonebreaker training at the tender age of 4 where he receives a decade of training and refining from a Master. His stats are grown through harsh training (some of the kids apparently die during this process, sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak), they are trained in the mace skill (likely along with numerous other skills) and upon reaching skill level 15 are taught a style where they can start grinding expertise points to upgrade said style's attacks.

That's a huge starting advantage for a level 1-10 character. I can't help thinking humans will have something similar in place. Maybe some knight style training where teenagers are sent off to train with a different lord who won't coddle them in any way or with a mage if they have magical talents.

Johan and Mister Bill like this.