Ratings From Hell

Discussion in 'Royal Road Legends' started by Zachariah Dracoulis, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, I have a forum post on RRL that, every once in a while, gets picked up by some random passerby, and today I saw this in a comment:

"...if I think a 4-star rated story isn't that good (more like 3 stars), I can give it a 0.5 star, 1 star or a different rating below those 4 stars. The effect of my rating is that the overal rating will drop to say 3.965 or 3.97 or 3.975, given enough ratings. So in the end the difference between 0.5 and 1.5 ain't all that big. It's just that 0.5 stars will drop the rating slightly further and closer to the 3 stars I think it's actually worth, which would be a reason to vote 0.5 stars."

Honestly? This makes me want to cut-and-run from RRL for moral reasons (nothing to do with the showrunners over there), but I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on the matter.

Isidore, KTHanna, Jay and 1 other person like this.
  2. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is so dumb. It's like he's purposely trying to misunderstand the notion of the rating system. You rate a story so that you can say what you think of it, not try to subvert everyone else's votes.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ...umm, because that individual's opinion should trump everyone else's? I think that is the point of the individual's desire to manipulate the system. By that notion, I guess someone should also be able to give 5.5 stars to bump up (manipulate) the average, if they really enjoy a novel?

Dragovian, Jay, Alexis Keane and 3 others like this.
  4. Life and Liberty

Life and Liberty Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like he wants to overall rating to be closer to his own personal rating instead of letting it be the combined rating of everyone together.

Isidore, Jay, Alexis Keane and 2 others like this.
  5. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sort of mentality is everywhere. People fanboy (or girl, whatever) and raise up ratings if they think their author is unfairly slammed. Others will lower ratings to balance out what they perceive as injustice. There's not really anything that can be done about it - on any platform.

On RRL it means literally nothing. On Amazon or other book sellers it has a straight connection to money in the bank.

KTHanna, Hondo Jinx, Jay and 3 others like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've heard even negative Amazon reviews help sales. The link is around here somewhere... Amazon has the data to know one way or another with so many books in the store.

Going through my first novel, I'm thinking more and more I deserved the two and three stars. The second version is going to end up a lot stronger, I think.

Onward and upward....

7. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like someone thinks they're the center of the universe.

8. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like he's trolling.... or is really young which I seriously hope is the case.

9. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was always wondering about using them ironically, you know: Amazon Customer - 1/5 - [sample of review]

Jay and Zachariah Dracoulis like this.
  10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it has more to do with the total number of reviews good and bad.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/09/07/star-wars-aftermath-reviews-news-and-such/

And at Amazon, the book seems to have collected an astonishing number of one-star reviews — many of them arriving en masse, in a row, the first couple days of release. Obviously, some of that is simply that people don’t like the book. That happens with every book release.

Others have suggested that there may be a campaign by some Legends fangroups to “raid” the book’s reviews to tank its ranking with these one-star reviews — an interesting tactic that does indeed tank its actual review score, but not its sales ranking given that Amazon algorithms are interested not in the quality of the reviews but rather the attention that the reviews and the book get. (Meaning, a passel of negative reviews actually elevates the book’s overall sales ranking. Which in turn garners it more sales. Amazon reps have been clear with me on this point: buyers buy books with reviews, period. Not good reviews, not bad reviews. But rather: quantity of reviews impress buyers to make purchases. So, leaving a ton of bad reviews actually increases the book’s sales. Ironic, and not likely what anyone supporting such a campaign intends.)

Some of the reviews seem to take issue with my voice, some take issue with it being, erm, “SJW propaganda,” others still because I’m not Timothy Zahn and because I apparently hate the prequels and the EU. (Neither could be farther from the truth, mind you. We literally just watched some of the prequels last week, and the Zahn novels are three of my most beloved books.)

Jim C. Hines did a post unpacking some of this.

Michael Patrick Hicks took a look at what’s going on with those reviews, too.

Your mileage may vary.​

11. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The main school of though is that more reviews = more attention. As a reader a book with only 5 reviews clearly isn't as attractive as book with 20 reviews, or any number comparison on those lines.

My point - which brought up the Amazon "even bad news is still free press" tangent - is that reviews on Amazon simply mean more than RRL ever could. I started my "career" with RRL and used to obsessively stat watch. After the first two years, it stopped mattering.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  12. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is so bizarre to me, but you can't argue facts.

13. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    oscarwilde1-2x.jpg

14. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I keep going to respond but y'all are so good at beating me to my points. :p

KTHanna and Alexis Keane like this.
  15. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And hey, look at it this way!

If a person like that comments, there are definitely going to be people that "spite upvote" just to annoy that particular person.:p "Oh, he's trying to drag it down? WELL, I'll give it 5 stars and tell a few friends to as well! Then it'll be a 4.8 instead of the 3.9 he was trying for!"

16. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But if people are voting out of spite, then the whole point of there being ratings is destroyed. It becomes a fight between commenters, or a popularity contest, and has nothing to do with the actual story.

17. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol... I just entered the trending section of RRL... so in anticipation of the inevitable, I wrote an ironic little song:

Hello drivebys my old friend,
    You've come to badger me again,
    Because a ninja softly creeping
    Left a rating while I was sleeping
    And the score that was planted in my fic
    Like shit it sticks
    With the sound of drivebys

18. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fair enough! And probably true. I was meaning it more encouraging that one "bad" review from someone doing that will probably be countered by a few "do gooders" so it doesn't crash the ratings of a story completely, etc.

19. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Malicious man, sorry that happened. Reminds me that if I ever do post publically first and foremost I will need thick skin

20. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't let the trolls get you down. The rating system on RRL is broken in such a way that positive reviews (4 / 4.5 - maybe even 3.5) drop you in the ratings. That doesn't mean that they hate your fic, they probably like it, they simply don't realize the impact of their support.
    There are a few trolls and assholes, but on the whole, of those who actually interact with you, the vast majority will be decent

Zachariah Dracoulis likes this.