Ratings From Hell

Discussion in 'Royal Road Legends' started by Zachariah Dracoulis, Nov 20, 2017.

1. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know that when I’m looking for a book on amazon from an author I don’t already know, I generally click links to the books that have the most reviews over the ones with fewer.

My justification is the law of averages. A bunch of haters/fanboys aren’t going to have as big an impact on a book with 1000 reviews as they will on a book with 100 reviews.

I still don’t consider 3/5 stars to be a negative review though. That’s just fkn stupid as a standard.

2. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is an interesting thread. I've been on RR for a week now, and I'm still in the 'obsessively refreshing the stat page' mode. That need goes away after awhile, I hope, but being new to the scene I find myself craving the feedback.

3. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The stat page, I find, is an interesting gauge of the chapters' receptions

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I always liked looking at read-through ... like you could tell what chapters people skipped and look at what percentage read through from chapter to chapter - ie kept reading

5. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've always been a bit suspicious of the viewcount as is a bit deceptive as it is contingent on multiple different factors that are mostly unrelated to the quality of the chapter. That being said, I'm excited for the RRL author analytics, since those might show actual retention rate.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Will be interesting to see what Book Brawl does as it ramps up too.

7. KTHanna

KTHanna Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

57%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I experienced this the other day. Now I don't have a huge following, and I've only been posting on RR for 2 weeks, but my ratings were stellar. Like 27 - mostly 5 star reviews. Apparently someone didn't like that, because low and behold I suddenly got a 0.5 rating. So now I have like 22 5 stars, 3 4.5 stars, 3 4 stars... and then this lone little 0.5 star lol.

It is what it is. I'm not counting on RR for anything but some feedback and interaction. Still though, I was pissed off about it for a few minutes.

Isidore, Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.