Richter to Become a God

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by R.I.C.H.T.E.R, Nov 12, 2020.

1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They could, but it likely wouldn't do anything for them. All faith seems to be removed as a possibility in the land due to the exiles' ward. I'm sure during the initial banishment someone had the idea to worship something new to get around the ban.

2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think there is a Ban and Faith hasn’t been removed. Some people in the Land still worship as we have seen so they aren’t banned. Those same people still hold and express their faiths. The disconnect is between the Faithful worshippers and the recipients of their Faith. It’s as if there was a barrier placed between them with the gods being removed.

It could be with Chaos being inserted back into the land that chaos seeds placing their faith into Ricther that he could begin to blaze a path toward chaos hero to demigod in time. The wards spells or magic used on prior gods might not have an effect on chaos magic or chaos lord worshiping.

R.I.C.H.T.E.R likes this.
  3. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is a jagged gash through "faith" on his village interface. Maybe you're right, but I don't think he's getting past that just because he's chaotic.

Dragon likes this.
  4. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As far as i can tell aleron has already made it clear with the impassioned trait, that that richter would not pursue a path of true immortality, like divinity. This is of course assuming richter actually thought about it before saying yes if given the choice. Sadly i have doubts that he would think before choosing at this point in time.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think there's a difference though. Immortality on its own with no real reason is terrifying. The forever hobo or the forever adventurer would be a lonely and draining existence regardless of how you slice it. Being immortal because people believe strongly enough in you that you become immortal I feel would be different. Your immortal for a reason, instead of random luck, and you have people that want you there.

Not saying it isn't lonely at the top either, but it seems different to me

6. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have a rather different view of godhood i guess. In my view you would be trading your freedom for power. So never ending slavery is kinda how i see such a thing. Always at the beck and call of your worshipers. My view was rather heavily effected by the kate daniels series i think.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's not how godhood worked in the kate daniels series though ;)

You weren't forged into what they wanted or needed, you were forged into their idealized version of you. If your worshippers saw you as a cruel trickster, then over time you would become that cruel trickster. It would take centuries before that happened, so you'd have plenty of time to change their perception to fit who you wanted to do.

Kate's aunt hated the idea because she diden't want to be changed and she also diden't want to work towards creating an accurate depiction of herself in the minds of potential worshippers.

There were definite drawbacks to becoming a god, because you became an idealized person rather than someone "normal". They weren't slaves though.

8. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ideas that are not your own, was one rather memorable description dragon, sounds to me like a thrall type situation. Even worse is that over time you are forced to become some else, and may not even realize it.

under this system, lets say you have an attractive, prudish, fertility doctor (yes they exist). This doctor develops a reputation for success that spreads far and wide. In the telling the tales get embellished like any tale retolded till she has fertility powers, eventually becoming a fertility goddess. Well fertility and sex go hand and hand, so now she is idealized into becoming a slut as well. Sounds to me like a rather horrible form of slavery

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So you ensure that is not how your ascension goes by spreading your own tale or you accept their tale as your new nature in return for the power, influence and ability to change things it brings. Only a few beings are powerful enough to extend their lives to the point where they become gods in the first place, and those beings can do what kate's aunt did, resist.

Most mortals that became gods died and were recreated in the godly form people imagined for them centuries later. Maybe the original person was prudish, but the goddess the worshippers created will be as they imagined her.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Enter the Gods of the Iron Druid Chronicles.
    Some of which were living and became gods. Others lived then died as gods. Some gods died and were reborn while other gods died and delivered to some form of Hell or heaven.

For some reason I feel Ricthers path to that high of a level should run via the celestial trees fruit. I know not all gods are celestials but aren’t the higher Asian gods considered celestial? This series being based off of Aleron, his family, and their race that just seems relevant to this story line.

Personally, I still see any form of Lich a devolution until they become free of the body. Even at that point their “evolution” has brought them down to pure evil and hate. Which I still see as a weakness.

11. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Am wondering wether Richter might ever come across a Clergy Cultivation Manual Skill Book, considering how much time has passed since The Lands Gods were Banished they must be incredibly Rare by now. Having him find one and Learn it might be interesting, even without a God(/or other similar) to Follow it might still give him some potential Benefits, and if he should come across a God he might be willing to Follow then it could be very useful.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hafizs family could teach Ricthers people how to give thanks and worship to the Lady of Luck.

13. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But that wouldn't allow for Communion with a Deity like a Clergy member can do and so Channel their Power or be granted any Spells, Skills or Abilities of a Cleric, although it is possible that they might still have a copy of Clergy Cultivation Manual?

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So only clergy can commune with gods or the originals?

I thought the real power lay with the Laity. They are the ones who grant gods their power via their faith, good will and love. Clergy are educated in the gods words. They are also the Shepard’s of the flock

15. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably not so much the only one's that can be heard by a God, in God's Eye a God(if they choose to can hear all of their Followers Prayers, although apparently most choose not too due to the Overload of their Senses, Extreme Pain and Disorientation this tends to cause them, the more Followers the stronger they might be but also the worse this can effect them), but it's much more likely that Clerics have louder Voices (so to speak) and gets jumped up priority list of being heard, especially for those God's that tend to bloke out most of their Followers Prayers/Voices.
    Plus it's the Clergy that tend to be given Faith Spells, Skills and Abilities the most, most likely via the Clergy Cultivation Skill. Although their Followers(might?) gain some type of Buff or Bonus based on their God's Domain, especially those favoured by a God for some reason.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The sensory overload was from Remy listening in on every prayer on the planet from every tribe in the first layer.

My impression is that the best of gods listen to every prayer, allowing them to stay in touch with their worshippers thereas more capricious and selfish gods do not bother. As they grow in number of worshippers gods also grow in power and tier so their capacity to deal with said prayers scales, but that only matters if they are listening in the first place.

That said, with Remy having 500+ energy as of now, it seems he has a fairly limited pool to draw on. Focusing on the most devoted and useful off his flock makes the most sense, which means the priesthood and the holy warriors in the short term. They in turn use their gifts for the betterment of the community, at least in theory. With an actual god throwing lightning bolts at abusers, its possible this will translate into practice as well.

17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Got you added. Sorry, I've been working on Moon Wars and have been busy. Hope you enjoy your stay at LitRPG Forum!

Johan and ShoughtLoud like this.
  18. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What was your old handle on the old forum?

19. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would be interesting if The Land's God of luck was also on thelos with Richters uncle. Well only a little bit... Nvm

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m predicting that the gods were all drawn to Telos for a major battle. Then somehow during the battle they became stuck on Telos and became incapable of communicating with their worshipers.

Mister Bill likes this.