Second Book Strategy

Discussion in 'Royal Road Legends' started by Muffassa, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Muffassa

Muffassa Moderator LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does anyone here have any experience publishing a sequel on RRL?

I am wondering if it would be best to post my sequel as a second book, or just continue posting chapters to the first book. My goal is to get feedback and grow a following for when I eventually publish.

What are your thoughts?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  2. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Two choices depending on what you want to do...
    You can append it to book one. This will reassure new readers who are wary of a story being dropped and will likely maintain more of the original readers.
    Alternatively, you can separate it out. By creating a new one you can divert your old readers to it (many, although not all, will follow it over). At this point, already accustomed to your writing they will rate it quickly and usually rate it high, provided the quality is consistent. This can help you reach trending or climb ranks, although it has the unfortunate side effect of leaving book 1 behind, which can be extremely confusing for new readers.
    Generally it is better to post it as a continuation, although it is somewhat dependent on circumstances.

Gryphon likes this.
  3. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I separate each one into a new book on Wattpad and actually start each new book with a change log and a short time skip because it fits.
    Everybody loves Large Chests just continued to post in the same book because it makes sense for its style.
    Whatever works best for your story, do it.

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's pros and cons to both methods. As your goal is feedback, I would stick it at the end of your established work. I only used RRL, et al once in the past, though.

Might post a "note" and ask your readers to vote?