Selak’s Luck potion and the Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Mister Bill, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, I’m re-reading book 7 and in it Richter dumps the luck potion into the dungeon. It gets listed as both loot and resource. How will the latter work? Make the monsters more lucky?

I assume that we’ve talked about how the count on the remaining potions is wrong in the book but have we addressed this? Loot is easy (probably tincture strength the first time it’s found as loot) but how will it grow or whatever in the dungeon?

2. Drasius

Drasius Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally, i picture it like a spring filled with the potion. Kind of like the Pool of Clarity, but with a boost to luck instead of experience. Presumably it'd be supplied in a shambala deep in the dungeon as a reward for getting that far or it'd be guarded by a boss monster of some sort to lure in prey and reward those who avoid dying. The fact that it doesn't magically spawn upon death would be why it isn't technically loot.

2tymes and Mister Bill like this.
  3. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn’t they explain about the health potions being resources at some point? And it adding to the health of the monsters? Or am I going crazy.
    I think your option is far cooler, of course.

Drasius likes this.
  4. Drasius

Drasius Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't remember the comment you mentioned about health potions but it has been a while, so it's very possible i'm just forgetting it. I do remember them mentioning something similar about poisons though. I think Randolphus explained that the poisons given to the dungeon would be used by the monsters, though i can't remember specifics. I assume the right beasts can develop the ability to produce any poison the dungeon has unlocked, though maybe requiring specific evolution or breeding rather then just mass producing them. It's also possible it can use them in traps and such, if that sort of thing is an option as the dungeon develops, which would be a closer mirror to the version i described.

Mister Bill and Andrew Lynas like this.
  5. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would think having Poisons used in Traps is more likely in Richters Dungeon then the Beasts recreating the Alchemy Poisons in themselves, although it might be possible with samples of straight up pure Venoms or Poisonous material extracts.
    With Richters Dungeon being a Beast Dungeon it's much less likely for its creatures to use Alchemical Poisons themselves, particularly Smart Beasts like the Assagi Spider Queen may be able to too some degree but ???
    The Dungeon might create small spring pools of Potions that Beasts could learn to use, especially Healing Potion based one's.

6. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What if the potion makes the Dungeon itself more lucky. Like adding so many beast during the fight, or the energy it gathered from the magical explosion of the Exile. Maybe the Dungeon itself will get lucky with more fortuitous events.

Joe Schmoe, Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  7. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm, maybe it was poisons, not potions. Good thinking.

Drasius likes this.
  8. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the sound of this. Like really weak invaders that Richter gets to come help defeat who give really fun patterns and great loot to him.

Drasius likes this.