POLL Should any one man (or woman) have all that power?

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by ShoughtLoud, Mar 24, 2020.

?

Highest number of naturally occurring ley lines in a PoP

1. 4

45.5%
  2. 5

9.1%
  3. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 8

36.4%
  6. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. >8

9.1%
  10. I just wan to watch the Land Burn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder if there is an unaligned ley line? probably gives no bonus like fast learner or the others.

Joe Schmoe and Andrew Lynas like this.
  2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not sure about an Unaligned Lay Lines but there is most probably some type of distinct source type for it. Other then Dungeons.

3. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Having all 8 would be powerful but it would also take 8 quests to awaken all. Each quest harder than the last and with each awaken your lands would get increasingly more dangerous. I would be willing to bet if Richter had all 4 of his ley line awakened and then upgraded again so a total of 8 quests (I don't think quests like the lich unlocking 2 are all that common) he would get more powerful benefits. He may also generate more SPs sooner than awakening 8 each once. Also Richter with 7 quests so 4 awakened and 3 upgraded would be more powerful with his 4 spells than the lord who had yet to get his PoP spells. There are certainly benefits to having all 8 and I agree it is probably extremely rare and just as rare to find someone with affinity in all 8 elements. I also think that with those benefits what I mentioned would be the natural check on that power. This is in the same vein as what is usually more powerful specializing or being broad based. Pros and cons to each.

Andrew Lynas and Johan like this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, the big deal would be that if even one ruler can awaken the powers to a fairly high level, thats where it stays. The next ruler won't have unlocked the benefits, but the power is still awakened to that level.

Cire122 likes this.
  5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Unless the heart crystal is destroyed too

6. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know which book Richter spoke with Randy about the current king of Rione. My memory is failing me, but I thought they said he was lazy and only awakened the Fire ley line. Where as the previous kings did much more.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My impression is the last several Yvesian kings have been relatively weaker than their ancestors in terms of personal power, but the kingdom has remained a powerhouse and they were good solid kings (not genuises, but adequate leaders that kept doing the things that kept the kingdom strong for a millenia). The current king is basically the kind of inbred mongrel every dynasty gets at least one of, the kind of ruler that should have been strangled at birth.

He has unlocked one of the powers for himself, but do not dare go for a second quest (which means a man who likely has Master level mages and champions guarding him, does not dare take on a level 10 quest). The pop remains level 5 which is also the level of the kingdom despite no one having reached that level for centuries.

S'ahelas and Cire122 like this.
  8. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Whoops. Yep Yves my bad. Interesting. Thank you for finding that. That is incredibly OP. Still stand with my 8 vote though.

Since it is still level 5 I wonder if when empires go in decline having a higher level is probably a detriment. You lose economic power but you need to field an expensive armed force to fight off the higher level monsters attracted to your PoP. One bad ruler who is personally powerful awakening too many levels at once could crush a kingdom that has stood for hundreds or thousands of years.

S'ahelas likes this.
  9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For shame! He you call him of well known breeding stock and mixed or unknown breeding stock in just two words.

Dragon likes this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If the surrounding lands have been pacified you won't have the same surge in monsters.

11. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yves is a level 5 kingdom like the mist village is a level 1 settlement. I think the powers actually reset between rulers.

Johan likes this.
  12. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good point. However, as the new king is portrayed, I don't think he would have done the quests necessary to level it up. Maybe just it decreases if it is leaderless for a long stretch of time (say, 1000 years)?

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    “Yves is a level five kingdom, but that does not necessarily translate to how many levels of Power have been unlocked in the Place of Power it was built upon. I have never been able to personally examine the Heart Crystal of Law. No ruler of Law would ever trust another with the key to his power, especially not a half-blood relative like myself. Through research, however, I believe that the highest level of its Powers that have been unlocked occurred under the rule of Emorrie the Great. He was able to finish quests to unlock the fourth level of his Air Power.

“That is not currently the case, however. The bonuses to spell power and resistance are hereditary and can be used by the current Master of Law’s Heart Crystal. The new King has a fifty percent bonus to spellpower and resistance in all four of the Law’s Powers: Earth, Air, Fire and Water. The abilities and other bonuses that can come from being Master of a Place of Power, like your Fast Learner or Bounty of Life abilities, must be earned through quests with each new ruler, however.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Predators: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 7) (Kindle Locations 24475-24483). Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

So the new ruler has to unlock the powers from the beginning. It does not seem the powers are reset, more that the boons they bring are unavailable until the new ruler proves himself worthy (similar to the way many of the village interface functions are currently grayed out). Until he becomes Master in truth. Boons granted directly to the kingdom may be limited as well, but perhaps not secondary effects from the pop reaching a certain level.

S'ahelas likes this.
  14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Settlement level and pop level are seperate.

“Yves is a level five kingdom, but that does not necessarily translate to how many levels of Power have been unlocked in the Place of Power it was built upon.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe settlement level decreases once the settlement has been below requirements for a certain length of time, depending on how far from fullfilling them said settlement is. The kings laziness wouldn't affect population levels or other settlement mechanics that badly, even bad kings need time to ruin a large kingdom. Years if not decades.

16. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had an idea. What if three catacombs levels need to be cleared and the other requirements (I don't remember them rn), but as long as all of those are fulfilled, it is a level 2 settlement. And the same thing happens going up. That would explain it. Does that make sense?

So yeah, you're probably right.

Dragon likes this.
  17. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And yeah, the fall of Rome took many bad emperors, not just one. Good point.

18. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The fact that the new King of Yves chose the Fire Element to Ability to Awaken likely means that he is a Fire Mage that probably uses a lot of Summoning Magic, considering that it grants a Bonus to Summoned Creatures.

Cire122 likes this.
  19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll have to look back to see if we did a poll, about the bonuses being the same for each. Might have to redo it.

Joe Schmoe and Cire122 like this.
  20. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We should also bring back the debate on what the bonuses will be for upgrading the ley lines again. E.g. air ley line lvl 2 grants an ability like we saw with Nien had with lvl 2 death ley line. Maybe bonus skill progression from 30% to fast learner to 60% or a completely different bonus.