Spacial Folding Theories?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Waterhobit, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In book 8 Richter purchases an enchanting talent called Spacial Folding:

This Talent allows you to create enchantments that fold space. At the lowest rank, you can create Bags of Holding and Expansive Quivers. The size of objects that can enter the dimensional space will be limited to a ratio of 1:5, when compared to the external size of the bag. At Rank 1 of this Talent: Bags of Holding can have 1x1 to 5x5 slots. Each slot requires 1 Soul Point at the time of creation. Bags can range in size from a small pouch to a satchel. Expansive Quivers start with 10 slots.

Upgrade this Talent to rank 2 for 61 Talent Points, to create larger dimensional spaces and attach them to smaller physical objects.

Purchasing this talent revealed 3 others.

The fog that surrounded his blue Profession Talent Tree pulled back and three new Talents were revealed. They all focused on making better Bags of Holding. They could reduce weight, make more slots and increase the size of objects that could be placed in the bags.

The description of the Rank 1 talent makes it sound as if other types of spacial folding (besides bags of holding and expansive quivers) might be possible with higher ranks, although apparently not rank 2.

What might rank 3+ of the talent unlock? Bottomless flasks? Dimensional Herb Pouches? Expanded crossbow magazines? Macro enchanting applications? Richter never returned to his tier 2 talents after this purchase; could there be tier 2 talents related to spacial folding? Shared Inventory? Stasis?

When he gets back to the village he needs to produce several more bags of holding to distribute to key members of his village. Sion, Roswan, Beyan, Tabia, and probably several others could be more effective with the addition of a bag of holding.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  2. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I keep hoping for a Bag of Holding with an accelerated time function. If the acceleration is fast enough it could REALLY benefit the village.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm having trouble trying to imagine benefits for an accelerated time function. I suppose he could store wine and cheese in it.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bottomless Flasks are unlikely(and potentially very dangerous), but Self-Refilling Flasks are most likely pretty much guaranteed to exist, beginner versions are probably limited to basic substances like Water, more advanced versions might be able to create Alcohol(beer, wine, ect), Simple Broths, or Sugary Energy Drinks (I read one short story where one Adventure Band Dropped there Flask of Eternal Lemonade and a year and a half later they were arrested for Littering and for creating the Great Sticky Sugary Lemony Swamp Bog), and Really advanced versions could refill themselves with a Potion, a Magical Incense (could be used as a Magical Gas against certain types of creatures (Undead, Demons, ect), an Alchemical Poison or Oil of Life, or possibly even a Rare Substance like Dragons Blood?
    Could also be modified to keep things Cool or Hot.

Box's or Chests of Holding are likely possibly, but might require Crafting Skills to get the best of them.

I would really like to see a Belt/Bandolier &\or Coat/Cloak of Many Pockets with some Holding capability attached to them. A Ring of Holding that can contain a few Potions and a Small Weapon might also be very useful in the right situation, as might an Amulet/Locket of Holding?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bottomless might be the wrong adjective for the flask I was envisioning. I imaged a flask-like container that one could pour potions and other liquids into, and that it would organize them into a grid just like the bags of holding. One could then place the container to their lips and and think of the potion they wished to consume, and it would flow out. But only one portion at a time (or quarter portion if you are a pixie)

Richter could make Batman's utility belt! I also like the idea of Chests of holding! I think there are a lot of possibilities with Macro Spacial Folding, especially if it created a Tardis like effect that one could enter without negative consequences.

6. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think there are some new ones available at rank 2, they're just not named examples. Flasks yes (definitely need the weight reduction on these though), herbs no (pouches should already have the slight anti-entropic effects), crossbow mags sure. Interesting possibility, he may need to unlock the upgrade talents before being allowed to build certain items. As far as self filling flasks, I imagine that requires the use of some water creature and their soul flavor similar to how his current pouch makes poisons. Barring that, a dual enchantment and the proper/ appropriate Air or Water magic spell to suck moisture from the air, maybe triple enchantment for purification.

Rank 3 is where the items to be en-spelled get bigger I think. Right now he can do up to about a satchel, so backpack sized things shouldn't be out of the question currently. Rank three probably allows things like chests, pantries, wardrobes etc. Rank 4 would allow living things, then 5 rooms, 6 buildings? I don't see him going past chests really and even that might be a stretch. Seems like a waste of TPs for him personally, though maybe Gloran or some other enchanter might.

Can he alter these kinds of enchantment later? Like if he wants to hold on to this bag, could he add the weight reduction, or add more spaces etc?

7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could see Tabia requesting a bandoleer type garment for various herbs while she brews potions. Just little 2x2 / 1x2 pouches strung together so she doesn't have leave the reagents sitting out near her ongoing experiments/ walking away to get others. Same for the Chef guy and spices.
    Being able to grab multiple items at once seems like it could be an advantage in combat as well, though may require some fore-thought about organization.

8. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Flask with a Twist Lid that allows you select different Options of Stored Liquids (setting one for Healing Potion, setting two for Mana, three for Stamina, four for Antidote, five for Banger, ect).

9. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What about time accelerated affects of potions.

Now that could be good.

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is this to try and speed up the Dragon's Cauldron's time related effects?

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would really like to see large bags of holding haversacks of holding and a portable hole. A haversack of holding would be by far better for any combatants.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    An Iron Flask would definitely be a higher tier enchantment. But man would it be worth it. The ability to capture anything living then release it under your own commands. That could be a game changer.

13. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Poka Ball. But it would have the same issue of killing anything living in it that other Holding Items have, although if you where to place a Stasis Spell/Effect on something Living first then then it might work? Perhaps an Automatic Stasis Spell Enchantment that is placed on something just before they it?

14. Abe fromen

Abe fromen Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Toilet of holding when it gets full load it into a catapult and see what happens to an item of holding that reaches 0 durability. Hopefully it explodes... think of the debuffs...

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Andrew, the iron flask is straight from D&D. It does have limitations but you could point it at an enemy say a demon. Then pull the cap off and it’s trapped. Then the next day or next month you take the lid off and it flies out only to be under your command. It will do anything you say for a specific amount of time.

16. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The light king could make his own shard universe. I bet one day richter could make a room that only he and the people he allowed could enter.

It would make a sweet war council room.

And if time moved slower there it could become his own hyperbolic time chamber for training. Just stock it with a bunch of stuff to skill grind.

17. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, that was one idea I had.

Also, buying cheap wine/whiskey for a could coppers, age it for 500 years then sell it for tons of gold a week later.

Accelerated time scabbards would fill the charges on enchanted items faster. "Oh, no my DoomSlayer Sword is out of charges! Now I'm useless in battle!" *puts sword in scabbard for 10 seconds* "HaHa! Time to die you goblin motherf****ers!"

Lastly, if there is also a Bag Of Holding that allows living things he could grow an army's worth of food and herbs quickly.

Waterhobit likes this.
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With Ricther learning spacial folding and the dungeon learning how to create inter dimensional spaces I am sure Roswan will pick some knowledge of it up as well.

The question for me is will Roswan and Ricther learn to create or build their own enlarged inter-dimensional spaces?

Its never stated if the hidden valleys in the Land were warded areas or just spaces that have been dimensionally enlarged. Either which way I would like to see Ricther and Roswan capable of creating their own hidden rooms and valleys. Even being capable of warding the hidden valleys the find could prevent the loss of a farm, livestock, and mist villagers. Those types of places would grant a place for small forces to rest while larger forces are hunting them. I can see plenty of uses for such wards and gaps in space time.

19. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Items that instead of being a Space Folding Item of Holding how about something that Shrinks, Reduces Weight and Anti-Shake Stabilising Enchantments for Carrying Living Things (like Pets, Mounts or People), maybe also a Stasis Enchantment as well?
    Another possible good Item for Transporting Living Things would be something that functions as a Portable Entrance to either an Inter-Dimensional Pocket Realm or a Portable Transport Portal Door Way (possibly a Linked Space Holes from one place to another (like two linked Portable Holes?) or some new variation of a Portable Portal?).

Another good thing would be a Summonable House or Mini Fort that when not in use exists in a Parallel Mini Realm.
    Or a Micro Building that can be carried and then UnShrunk to a usable size, like the D&D Instant Fortress/Tower.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  20. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The land does need daern’s instant fortress, Portable holes, and pocket dimensions (hammerspace).