Stopping the LitRPG Trademark...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I called USPTO.gov today and was told nothing can be done until after 1/9/18.

At that point we can protest again?

I don't understand it either. I might need to lawyer-up to protect myself. Or wait for a cease and desist? I mean a DMCA would take the sites down in a heartbeat...

Alexis Keane and Jay like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My book is trying to send me a message I think. Went back to work and saw this...

lollitrpg.JPG

3. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That really, really sucks about the time & money you've put into the site here. Would it be possible to rename the domain? I don't know how this works.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean, I could, that would be relatively easy, BUT I lose all the SEO juice I've built up over a year.

If you type LitRPG or "What is LitRPG" into Google, I come up pretty high. That makes me a target, I think. :(

My stomach is in knots over this... I shouldn't let it get to me so much, but... yeah...

ETA: Plus the readers... they search for litrpg...

Alexis Keane and Jay like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, maybe LitRPG authors should do what that lady did for the romance novels and the sleazy agent? Do a fundraiser, hire a decent lawyer, and fight the whole mess.

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Blaise would be very helpful in that regard... does he use LitRPG on his marketing at all?

I mean... could he stop us from using it as a keyword even?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  7. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not sure, but he's basically prevented amazon from having a "LitRPG" section, if the trademark ever holds up... way to shoot yourself in the foot...

8. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It says on the site "Providing a website featuring entertainment information in the fields of movies, television, literature, and social media; Publishing of books, e-books, audio books, music and illustrations".

So maybe? It would probably stop anyone saying "A LitRPG series" legally...or at least without his permission.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know what? f**k it. I'm standing my ground. I can lawyer down, and I'm happy to sink some cash to protect LitRPG if need be.

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    http://www.geekbytespodcast.com/litrpg-podcast-073/

Alexis Keane likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "The number 1 reason I filed was so that no one would ever grab the LitRPG name and force me and other authors to not write in the genre. I had and have NO intention of doing that to others. One, it would just be a seriously dick move. And two, IT WOULDN'T WORK! lol" -- Aleron Kong

12. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah... this is the part that smells of shit...

The second reason I did it is that I'm a business man. I see the potential in LitRPG, and if ever a movie is made, I'd like to be a voice in that room.

So what he thinks is that someone is going to make a movie about a book about a game... get real...

also... I had and have NO intention of doing that to others.

And that's written proof that he has no intent to use, making his trademark application fraudulent...

Viergacht, Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  14. Tfish10065

Tfish10065 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would assume the trademark relevant to LitRPG would also incorporate @Paul Bellow and also my site ultimateLitRPG.com Frankly, I'm not going to sit by and do nothing if he intends to seek a profit from anyone and everyone using the term.

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it's more likely he'd file a DMCA and have our websites just taken down?

Alexis Keane and Tfish10065 like this.
  16. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    DMCAs do not apply to trademarks... only cease and desists... my non-legal advice to that would be to tell him and his lawyer to go pound sand and then see what they do about it... there's no way he could actually get a favorable resolution out of that situation... either he loses the trademark for challenging and failing to enforce, or he loses his cult following...

Kevin Murphy, Viergacht, Jay and 2 others like this.
  17. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This reminds me of when a channel on youtube tried to trade mark the word "react" and the entire community shot them down.

This is the same guy that wrote the chaos seed series correct? How big of an ego does he have! Also why is the community not retaliating? That's like Anna rice saying she'll trademark the word romance!

Also wouldn't that just hurt his own sales? I mean from what I'm reading amazon will have to remove that category for any American books leaving only the ones that don't fall under American law like Russian and Japanese books... all doing better then his own. Not sure if he can do anything about other countries using that term. If so then he probably found a new cash revenue since his books suck.

18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have some gold. :)

[​IMG]

Jay and Alexis Keane like this.
  19. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    for the last time Paul, I will not sleep with you... jeez....

20. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Takes a screenshot and frames it!

CheshirePhoenix and Alexis Keane like this.