Stopping the LitRPG Trademark...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol... I'm not some sort of cheap whore... I'm an expensive one

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    New shop?

Alexis Keane's house of Ill Repute? lol

Alexis Keane likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can hire companions to help your steal percentage. Heh. They distract your victims while you steal.

Maybe *after* I get around to updating everything under the hood.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shop? I think you mean city...

Har'em the city of stagnation

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And then he goes right along and says he wants to make money off it if a movie is made . . . which means he wants to be paid out for owning the term, even if he isn't the author of the work.

Jay and Alexis Keane like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thusly you shall have a city. And its name shall be henceforth known as Har'em the City of Stagnation...

[​IMG]

ETA: After the big upgrade! ;)

Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The love of money...

I wanna make a tee-shirt that says...

"Less Drama
    More Words"

You know, for writers. Heh.

8. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep, pretty much his MO as far as I've seen... he's all about community mobilisation... get his fanbase to do his work for him

Kevin Murphy likes this.
  9. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So... seeing as his Facebook page is 'Aleron Kong' not 'The Land' I'm seriously considering hitting him with a one star review (I wouldn't if they were the books because I measure art against art, not the cock juggling thunder cunt who creates it), who's with me?

Viergacht and Alexis Keane like this.
  10. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    meh... I'm more interested in seeing if any online news agencies will take the story... if they do then you can essentially get the first link on the first page to come up about aleron/the land be "Grand Theft Fantasy: How one author tried to steal a genre."

11. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ooooh I like that

LitRPG_chick, Jay and Alexis Keane like this.
  12. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can even write it for them, give them a full release to use it and monetize it for their own use without attribution... no effort required on their part...

13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  14. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's exceedingly clever. Where's a good place to start?

15. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Small time publications, working up to larger ones adding in greater detail as you go to ensure new content for larger more wide scale release or even the pulp news sites... the sort of 86 year olds one trick for anti aging sites... they make their livings off of getting attention

16. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe George Fisher?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Tfish10065 ...?

18. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Exactly like the youtube channel drama, we don't want to charge for the word react, its a dick move. we are only trying to stop others. The community should just fire back before this actually gets approved or it's a slippery slop downwards.

Jay, Alexis Keane and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  19. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Keemstar might be interested. Maybe @Angel Ramon can mention this drama in one of his video podcasts, and it can get passed to Keemstar and the rest of the YouTube Drama Machine? This is exactly like what happened when the Fine Bros. tried to trademark the word “react” a few years back. From what I recall, they didn’t get the trademark awarded - which should be enough grounds for a challenge on precedent alone.

Otherwise I would wait until you get a Cease and Desist order, then fight it out in court. There’s no way it will stand up to a challenge in open court once you can establish litrpg as a genre in the public record. It would then fall under the precedent of when the SyFy channel had to change their name because they couldn’t copyright or trademark the term Sci Fi.

Basically, even if the trademark gets awarded it will be unenforceable. Until then, mobilize the community and blast the self righteous cockass everywhere you can reach.

Jay, Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  20. Kevin Murphy

Kevin Murphy Red-headed Stepchild of LitRPG LitRPG Author Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Aleron is clearly a clever guy. For example, he's given himself a prestigious-sounding moniker to sell books. Another example: His facebook group "LitRPG" prominently displays a picture of him, and only him, at the top right and/or links to his book series so that as the genre grows, his own fame and sales will grow. There are plenty more examples just like these. When he employs such clever, aggressive tactics to drive sales, it's somewhat insulting for him to insinuate that his decision to pursue a trademark which encompasses an entire genre is just some silly flub.

At first I thought it was really odd that he's chosen to do this as it's a pretty substantial gamble. If this goes through the way he wants it to, other authors are encouraged to not use the term "LitRPG" anywhere, thus stunting his own growth. He's in a really good position so long as the sub-genre keeps growing. Talking economics, if the risk of hurting his own success exists, then you can be certain his goal is a fairly large reward of some sort.

So then, he's created a situation where if he gets the trademark (providing LitRPG turns out to be obscure enough that it's enforceable), he'll be the authority on LitRPG and he stands to make a lot of money allowing content creators, publishers, and producers to use his term. If he fails to get the trademark, he'll continue to grow more famous and prosperous as the sub-genre grows thanks to popular resources like his facebook page.

If the trademark is enforceable, he's creating a win-win scenario for himself because the only alternative is to ditch the name "LitRPG" and convince tens of thousands of readers to jump ship all over a battle that most of them don't even know is happening. We can't easily change the name without hurting our own reader bases.

Jay, Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.