Stopping the LitRPG Trademark...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Profit. If you have the TM for the word (litrpg) you can take down all the competing websites so yours will be the first in the google search.

He says he won't be doing it to sue others but yes TM laws are murky enough for him to intimidate people not just with the threat of sueing them but to benefit from this copyrighting down the line.

I knew someone like him long ago, if he is going down the same path then he'll use the TM to establish an organization around the genre that works like a critic or recommendation site for books. so if people google your book his website will be the first to pop up, right now it's either amazon or goodread with a blurb from the author. You sure you want a third party (a party as bias as Kong) to speak on your behalf?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    CheshirePhoenix and Jay like this.
  2. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just checked the LitRPG FB group and that is a lot of hate going down right now. People are boycotting him. I think he may have screwed a good thing up for himself. Well, he's pretty big. He'll survive.

Viergacht and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He’ll just kick them out and rebuild, no? And erase the evidence that they were ever upset to begin with.

Jay likes this.
  4. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He can cut out competing websites, but he cannot shut down actual news, that would be highly illegal. Hence why I suggested getting this into journalist spheres

CheshirePhoenix and Jay like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I found this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/litrpg/com...the_litrpg_trademark/?st=JAV4DN99&sh=28ad71d8

By litrpg_chik.

6. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  7. Kevin Murphy

Kevin Murphy Red-headed Stepchild of LitRPG LitRPG Author Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks like that's right.
    Shouldn't be enforceable.
    [​IMG]

At least, that's how I read it. I'm no lawyer, and that article says otherwise.
    "Based upon the registration, if Defendants wish to challenge ownership, they bear the burden of proving a priority of use."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    LitRPG_chick and Viergacht like this.
  8. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. Kevin Murphy

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah... "litrpg.com" certainly looks like it's promoting other authors. :rolleyes:
    I especially like how his "The List" which is supposedly there to promote new authors is actually his mailing list.

FrustratedEgo, Coco vanRoss and Jay like this.
  10. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    LitRPG_chick and Kevin Murphy like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think he ever sent me out ... thankfully! My first book wasn't the best. ;)

[​IMG]

Jay likes this.
  12. Kevin Murphy

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know, it's a little difficult to find through all of the self-promotion, but there is a decent new-release section buried somewhere on that site. https://www.litrpg.com/new-releases
    He might buy himself some goodwill if he displayed that more prominently.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You don’t get goodwill for being forced to behave in the way you should have in the first place.

14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I need to get better updating our NEw Releases section here instead of relying on authors to do it.

There's only less than a dozen most weeks. I'll get on that... someone hold me accountable? ;)

[​IMG]

LitRPG_chick, Jay and Kevin Murphy like this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Viergacht likes this.
  16. Kevin Murphy

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Woah. A gif of Lina Inverse casting Dragon Slave? I thought people had forgotten about that series!

Which reminds me, what I think we need is an easy-to-find, sleek GameLit/LitRPG database site akin to AniDB (but more streamlined). That could boost the popularity of the genre tremendously.
    The detailed tags on AniDB fueled my anime fix for years as I dug deeper into the tags I most enjoyed. I wouldn't have found half of the series I've watched otherwise. Currently, digging up potential reads for LitRPG books is a bit of a chore.

I suspect a resource like that, so long as it's maintained by an unbiased staff, could provide a lot in the way of protection of the genre.

17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah... I might be able to help on this... next year if someone doesn't do it first. Ramon says he built a database, but it's basically a blog like LitRPG Reads.

Even the set-up here doesn't make it easy to find older LitRPG. Lemme think on this a bit. Maybe I'll have to do something in Drupal. Hrm...

Kevin Murphy likes this.
  18. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's odd. He said the trademark covers merchandise but the forum he's submitting is for digital a TM only. seems like he's trying to get ahead of that.

I say keep attacking him until he relents. benefiting other authors my BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPP!!!!!

I love that even his groupies are trying to sound ironic/apathetic when defending him on FB lol!

19. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not anymore. During the last step up - he switched everything he owned to Game Lit and washed is hands of the mess. The last thing I think living is the facebook group, which can't really be stopped by this sort of thing.

LitRPG_chick and Paul Bellow like this.
  20. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    T
    They were never likely to. LitRPG is just the latest generation of "game novels" which were popular back when D&D ramped up in the late 80's and early 90's. Same concept, different title. It's also one of the reasons publishers aren't as likely to take note. Anyone who goes "PART OF THIS BRAND NEW GENRE" isn't really aware that the genre has existed in some form for decades.

Paul Bellow likes this.