Stopping the LitRPG Trademark...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Dec 5, 2017.

1. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    People have done this to Travis' books too.

2. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Should have seen Aleron trying to call Blaise out because he said Blaise was just jelous he got to the domain name first. Got that was a while back....

Kevin Murphy likes this.
  3. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And, both facebook groups have had large walls of text issued by their owners - it may be worth a screen capture. I'd help but I'm at work and my phone is tiny. You know, for posterity.

4. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  6. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those citations are likely to get yanked for a few different reasons, but it's amusing for now.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Paul Bellow

Can you copy-paste? I can't actually see the post and I'm curious what it says.

8. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Already been yanked and removed. I saw it a minute ago and now it's gone.:rolleyes:

It's now saying something about "Though for the first year there were only five books in the fledgling genre[citation needed], soon American authors began to make their voices heard. Within a few years, American LitRPG has established a distinctive flavor that sets it apart from its Eastern progenitors[weasel words]."

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I try not to f**k with Wikipedia. Heh.

10. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hahah, that was quick. Hold up.

11. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fixed it, and have copy-pasted the info.

{{cleanup rewrite | date= September 2017 | reason = See previous tags. This article is insufficiently cited, unclear, and has unencyclopedic tone.}}

'''LitRPG''', short for ''Literary Role Playing Game'', is a [[literary genre]] combining the conventions of [[Massively multiplayer online role-playing game|MMORPG]]s with [[science-fiction]] [[fantasy]] novels.<ref>{{Cite news|url=http://freebeacon.com/culture/escape-from-reality/|title=Escape From Reality - Washington Free Beacon|date=2016-07-16|work=Washington Free Beacon|access-date=2017-05-10|language=en-US}}</ref> LitRPG is a literary genre where games or game-like challenges form an essential part of the story. A LitRPG work simultaneously narrates the story of characters inside and outside of the game-world. At least some of the characters in a LitRPG novel therefore understand that they are playing a game: they are 'meta-aware'. So, while [[J. R. R. Tolkien|Tolkien's]] [[Lord of the Rings]] is a fantasy novel, a book about people creating avatars and interacting in a Lord of the Rings MMORPG would be a LitRPG novel.<ref>{{Cite web|url=https://litrpgforum.com/threads/whats-a-good-definition-of-litrpg.150|title=LitRPG definition forum discussion|access-date=2017-06-10}}</ref>

== History ==

A definitive history detailing the infancy of LitRPG is difficult to track down.<ref name=":0">{{Cite web|url=https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/28/11801040/have-you-heard-about-litrpg|title=What is LitRPG and why does it exist?|date=2016-05-28|website=The Verge|access-date=2017-05-10}}</ref> The colloquial term{{clarify|date=May 2017}} and LitRPG movement began an estimated 13 years ago{{vague|date=September 2017}}. Between October 4, 2004 and August 15, 2005, ½ Prince (½ 王子 Èrfēnzhīyī Wángzǐ) is a series of nine Taiwanese novels written by Yu Wo. They are published by Ming Significant Cultural in Taiwan and were released.<ref>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/½_Prince</ref> Then in Japan, the genre has reached the mainstream with the release of the media phenomenon [[Sword Art Online]] in 2009, which might be the originator of the genre's growth. {{when|date=May 2017}} In 2012, Russia became the first country in the world where the genre was officially recognized by the publishing industry as EKSMO, Russia's biggest publishing house, started its bestselling multiple-author project entitled LitRPG. According to the Russian LitRPG author Vasily Mahanenko, the actual name "LitRPG" was coined in the early 2013 in the course of a brainstorming session between himself, EKSMO's science fiction editor Dmitry Malkin and fellow LitRPG author Alex Bobl. This explains the seeming grammatical awkwardness of the name: in Russian, the proper grammatical form is "LitRPG", not "RPGLit". Since 2014, Russian LitRPG authors began translating their work into other languages as an increasing fanbase across various countries demanded more novels{{Citation needed|date=September 2017}}. Though for the first year there were only five books in the fledgling genre {{Citation needed|date=September 2017}}, soon American authors began to make their voices heard. Within a few years, American LitRPG has established a distinctive flavor that sets it apart from its Eastern progenitors{{weasel inline|date=September 2017}}.

== Trademark Issues ==

Aleron Kong, the self-proclaimed 'Father of LitRPG', managed to claim the trademark for the term 'LitRPG' <ref>https://www.trademarkbank.com/statuses/681</ref> <ref>http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn87193675&docId=PRC20171205070415#docIndex=0&page=1</ref> <ref>http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87193675&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch</ref>. This is an issue that numerous members of the community have voiced concern over <ref>https://litrpgforum.com/threads/stopping-the-litrpg-trademark.1667/</ref> and take direct issue with as Kong was not the creator nor the sole-proprietor of the term.
    This has also led to individuals trying to hide the fact that this has been done, including removing information from this entry, proving that they're aware that the issue is one that is unethical.

==References==
    <references />

[[Category:Speculative fiction]]
    [[Category:Works based on video games]]
    [[Category:Fantasy genres]]
    [[Category:Science fiction genres]]

12. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is my favorite part.

13. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    should probably change the last reference to the one by Michael Soileau on Litrpg reviews, less of a forum setting.
    Also you should change the last part to something more along the lines of "information based campaign, deleting information opposed to the trademark case, including on this wiki"

proving that they're aware that the issue is one that is unethical sounds too much like opinion

14. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oooh I like it. The issue was that I had to rewrite/copy-paste it quickly. That's why it's so... scruffy.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  15. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, name and shame Craig Fletcher and Damian (Damien?) Perry? or whatever their names were. If you want to call yourself royalty, be prepared to be painted purple

16. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have to be careful there. It's hard enough staying civil when talking about just Kong :p

Alexis Keane likes this.
  17. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just bring them up, you only need to mention them, that's enough... it's factual and it's my favorite part... CONSEQUENCES

18. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And it's gone again if you put it back up.

19. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fixing now.[​IMG]

Alexis Keane likes this.
  20. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fixed, and I found the guy who's doing it through his IP. Well, I have an idea.