Stratus Online: Awakening Book 1

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Bill89, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Bill89

Bill89 Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hello, Bill89 here,

This is my first time posting anything on this forum so please be gentle with me, I am quite tender. I wish to bring to everyone's attention a book that was released as an audiobook last month titled Stratus Online. I'll just copy/paste the description Audible.com has for the book here before following up with my own opinions;

"Edwin Morris has been playing Sakarn Online almost his whole life. In fact, most people have. While he considers himself a skilled player, he never could really find the time to take his game to the next level and pay the bills. After he is finally pushed over the edge with his job at Burger Planet, Edwin stumbles upon a man representing a game company called Stratus Labs.

Edwin is offered a lucrative position within the company to test and beat Stratus Online, an incredible, fully-immersive MMO designed to dethrone Sakarn Online. Edwin will have to unite with his friends and compete against other teams, but not everything is as it seems within Stratus Labs, and the stakes are much higher than he could have ever imagined.

With the clock ticking, will Edwin have what it takes to complete the seemingly insurmountable task of beating Stratus Online before it's too late?

Stratus Online: Awakening is the first book in a LitRPG series featuring awesome game mechanics, an epic high-stakes quest, and lots of legendary loot."

The story is narrated in first person, so the narrator stays in character as Edwin for the entire book. The narrator himself isn't that bad and his style helped me stay immersed in the story the whole way through. There is one character that I really enjoyed thanks to the narrator's performance.

Another thing I liked, though it may be a small detail, is that the main character isn't some gun totting, cigar chomping, Duke Nukem macho man character who's all action and gets all the ladies, Edwin is instead a down on his luck twenty something who gets into a situation that soon blows out of control. The twist near the end of the book is the real hook that makes you invested in the series, and I honestly can't wait for the sequel. I'll leave the link for the audiobook here in case anyone wants to listen to it, which I recommend heartily.

Stratus Online: Awakening

Please give it a listen so that both narrator and author can continue this series and I hope I gave you all a new book to enjoy!

RauthrMystic likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are you a fan? Member of his street team? Thanks for joining us.

3. Bill89

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After reading/listening to Stratus Online I'm starting to become a fan of Drew Cordell's work. He has more books out than just Stratus, so if you're interested here is the link to his website;

Home - Drew Cordell

Enjoy!

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

So, not a member of a street team?

5. Bill89

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Unfortunately I am not affiliated with Mr. Cordell in any fashion outside of buying his audiobook on a whim and enjoying it immensely. I just really want to help promote the book so that both author and narrator can benefit and continue the series.

Herko Kerghans and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, cool. It's fine either way. You just seem like a superfan or sorts. :)

7. Bill89

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just trying to get the word out is all, this book introduced me to Litrpgs. Just wanted to let the author know he has a great idea and show my support in any way I can.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All authors wish they had fans such as yourself. ;)

Have you checked out the rest of the forum? Any thoughts or impressions?

RauthrMystic and Bill89 like this.
  9. Bill89

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been poking my nose here and there, but I haven't taken a real deep look into the forum. Though I have seen that I'm not the only one who enjoys this genre of novels.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are dozens of us. Dozens!

11. Bill89

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We are Legion.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  12. RauthrMystic

RauthrMystic Elf Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We're also sneaky...as long as we don't remember the system knows everything we're doing...*ninja*