The Imp's Quest

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's also the fact that it is 'Deal with the Devil 1', so it's just the first part of the Quest Line.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seriously though, I don't get why people dislike this storyline. Richter got to leave the village and explore new lands. Meet interesting women. Kill strange men. Visit other people's treasuries filled with loot where he can fill his purse (or perhaps purses?) of holding with loot and instantly return to his village by handing over a stick to the imp.

Richter might even conquer a city.

3. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think people didn't like the quest back when it was just book 7. I know I didn't like the imp or his quest at that point. I also didn't like the favor since book 1.

4. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally I didn’t like the Imp from the beginning because he was such an @$$. I think it’s as if he was forced to do what he had done for Ricther. It just seems like if he wasn’t forced into helping Ricther he would have acted differently and given Ricther a bit better equipment to start with.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He is an imp though, so we are talking about a demon with demonic instincts. Maybe he got off on provoking Richter and causing him pain, but chose to act indifferent.

6. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    use a glove? shovel? a medium to carry it

7. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Much like jumping the ward in a previous book, it'd be a pretty poor curse if it could be bypassed with a glove.

8. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Use Golumn to carry it then.

f.e. cursed boots of jumping.
    If you dont put them on, the curse does not trigger...

It really depends from the curse.
    F.e. gauntlet of necronium..
    if u pick it up u take dmg, if u wrap it in cloth then you won't take dmg..

9. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With Necronium the Metal is Poisonous not Cursed.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What would be the point of having him get a cursed wand just to have him cursed?

That really doesn’t make sense to me at all.

I find it way more likely that the owner of the wand was the Imps target for assassination. The Imp did want him to kill someone right. Well if he won’t kill him out right create a situation (the retrieval of the wand) in order to force the desired action. I personally can’t imagin Ricther getting into the village and stealing the wand without having to kill a very large group of people as he obtains his goal. Ricther isn’t a real thief.

11. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would be super easy with his bloodlines concealment and ring of shadow jumping..
    Actually he might just charm someone to get it for him.. like a ogre administrator chamberlin or smthng.. hehehe
    Still nice though of the Assassination through stealing.. quite possible.
    But I think Imp wanted Ricthers Soul, and he would have asked to kill like Alma or Hisako or Scion etc..

Johan and Waterhobit like this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what’s the chance the the Imp was actually cursing Ricther while drinking in front of him. Then pissing in the glass calling Ricther a hungry thirsty Bitch.

To bad Ricther couldn’t save Xuetrixs piss to use Against him in a spell or something else.

13. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If the Wand is Cursed then it might be something that will Impede Richter in being able to give the Wand to Xeutrix and hence make it more likely that he can't follow up on his agreement to give the Wand to him and so be in breach of that agreement?
    Or maybe getting the Wand is just the Prelude to what Xeutrix actually wants, after all the Quest to get the Wand ("Deal with the Devil") seems to be a Multi Part Quest, with getting the Wand only the first part?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There might even be a Follow On Quest where the Universe gives him a Quest to get it Back from the Imp?

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could see the Imp complicating things by giving Ricther a quest that automatically sucks him into several others. All of which would benefit the Imp. Any of which might lead Ricther to having to kill the Imps original target.

16. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even though it is obvious that this is just the first quest in a chain, I can't imagine that Richter would be forced to accept the subsequent quests. Of course if the rewards are great enough, or the quest aligns with Richter's own goals, then perhaps he will continue accepting quests.

Given that the Imp's original target was likely someone near and dear to Richter, I doubt that is the direction the quest line would end up going. The point of Xuetrix trying to get Richter to agree to kill someone was to choose a target Richter would refuse to kill.

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

How do you know that the target was someone “near and dear” to Ricther?

I don’t understand the last sentence in your second paragraph.

Quote:

“The point of Xuetrix trying to get Richter to agree to kill someone was to choose a target Richter would refuse to kill.”

Why would The Imp need to trick Ricther?

Ricther wouldn’t kill anyone to start with. That was the point Aleron made about Ricther he wasn’t a murderer.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With other quest chains was he given the option of saying yes or no, or was it just added?

19. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oftentimes, a demon’s true goal was not the request itself. It was to enslave the soul of any who were foolish enough to owe them a Favor. To accomplish that, they would ask for something that the other person would refuse. The request would not be so outlandish that the magical contract might be broken. If Xuetrix was asking him to kill a murderer or the leader of a den of thieves, he might actually agree. The problem was that Richter would never agree to kill a random innocent or, even worse, to kill someone he loved and cared about.

After a bit of digging, their aren't very many quest chains Richter has received a second quest for. None of them said "Do you accept: Yes or No?" but all of them included a "Penalty for Failure or Refusal" sometimes this was always either Unknown or None. Do you think that Xuetrix gets to just keep giving Richter quests until he dies? Deal with the Devil LXXVII!

Dragon and Captain BlackJack like this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, I think Xuetrix really wanted someone dead. That could have put Ricther right where the Imp wanted him. Ricther could have killed the being for the benefit of Xuetrix then been left holding the hat. That could have landed Ricther right back in Xuetrixs lap needing help and offering another favor. I really think Xuetrix asking Ricther to steal the wand could put Ricther right on target needing to kill the person Xuetrix wanted dead to start with. Then Ricther will have everyone on his heels and he would be looking back at Xuetrix for more help.

Unfortunately, Ricther started this party by promising Xuetrix a dance. Now he has to dance with the devil.