The Leige of Chaos

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Joe Schmoe, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A place to discuss everything to do with being a chaos lord. What are the perks to and from vassals, what kinds of things might be available on the leige page, are leige purchases made with chaos points or something else, who will his vassals be, can they be swapped out, do they count towards a dungeon/war party limit, will there be any additional unfprseen consequences by chaos seeds being in close proximity to each other(due to auras), will Richter be able to get another monster chaos seed as a vassal or ally, are Richters eyes now constantly swirling pools of chaos, wont that give away his status as a chaos seed/lord, how long until we see another chaos lord, etc.

Still working on a poll idea, feel free to make suggestions

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can Richter make a Monster Chaos Seed into a Familiar or Pet?

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I kind of hope he can switch his eyes around to his various styles (normal, chaos pools, death god, and combo chaos death god)
    My stances
    • Yes, chaotic vassals will count toward dungeon party limit
    • No, he cannot gain vassals that aren't sapient (no monsters/pets)
    • Superior chaotic auras will take precedent over lesser auras (ie Richter's will take priority at all times now)
    • The liege vassal relationship actually let's Richter absorb their chaotic auras, which is how he gets CPs weekly,
    • Next chaos lord will show up in book 15-17. Thinking they're hot shit for Richter to dominate in a battle of wills.
    • Vassals can only be swapped out with a mutual agreement of parting ways from both parties or when one loses vassal status due to taking deadly action against richter
    No idea on liege page contents or what other benefits he may gain from having vassals

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  4. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Updating liege page. Will it be Vassal/Liege Point based (VP/LP) or Chaos Point (CP) based? I'm thinking it will use CP, because the resource scarcity is more complex. Instead of having points where the only thing that can be done with them is purchase points, like war points with badges, the liege must decide to I save them to buy goodies, rank up, or benefit the liege/vassal page.

On the other hand we already have examples of points only be used for a particular purpose. This also reminds me of the vassal/Liege relationship page in The Good Guys Series. There he could earn points and purchase vassal upgrades.

5. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. Yeah they are not companions or familiars. Agree with you.
    2. We have YET to see a chaos seed beyond Heman and what he shared with Richter. All were sapient. No reason to believe otherwise. Agree
    3. So if he was at the limit it would drop the lowest vassal? While that could make some sense would it not tick off the vassal? Possibly to a bad end?
    4. Yes and also do not for get it lowers the cost of the next chaos lord rank as well. Agree
    5. Who the heck knows now. I like most of us was really disappointed with how long Monsters took and with what we ended up with. Will that stop me from reading the next one? No...just feel let down.
    6. I guess goes back to the earlier point in 3.

6. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I also doubt that Chaos Vassals are exempt from the Dungeon Party Limit.

It's likely that not all Monsters are not Sentient, which means making them Pets or Familiars maybe possible, assuming those work on Sentient beings, which may well be possible considering Alma but ???

7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    3. I'll clarify, chaotic auras affect the environment around the aura'd person right? That table in book 8 talking about lesser greater grand etc auras and now Richter's goes through time etc. I meant here that his aura would essentially negate any effects of the lesser auras just by scale and we won't get ongoing negative effects from more chaos auras being in the same place. Gravity between you and a baseball is dwarfed by the gravity between the ball and the earth.

Dragon likes this.
  8. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Excellent analogy. Thanks. So glad I found you guys...it was killing me not to share stuff after reading book 8.

9. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome back!

Johan likes this.
  10. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    His Aura working through Time might be part of the reason why there's so many Cores around the MV?

Belgared, AndyJ, 2tymes and 2 others like this.
  11. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Completely agree Andrew. Makes most of the OP suspension of belief around the MC easier to stomach. It is the universe basically willing him to succeed.

I think the benefits to the vassals will cost CPs and it will lead to decisions about helping himself or his vassals. I also think the benefits could be anything but won't be anything associated with CPs. I am hoping it is part of what they give up in order to get other benefits and protections.

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The shaman reminded me about another idea of obtaining "Vassals". "Okay so know how you all swore that you would fight for me even after death and skate on hell ice with me, after already swearing yourselves to me? (You didn't read the fine print of that oath) Well I need body guard protection from the spirits, ya so this is what I'm going to need you to do..."

13. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seems more likely that it works forward in time, changing future events, than that it changes events that have already happened. Chaos is about choice after all, undoing the past would go against the nature of choices, undermining their impact and significance. That's one reason I dislike timetravel stories and hope we can avoid it entirely here.

14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not undoing the past, but tweaking it so that fortunate encounters, finds and events are more likely to occur to and with Richter. Such like someone deciding to stash Cores about the area for various reasons or to keep a Book of Soul Familiar Summoning rather then trying harder to sell it, or for a failed Tree Core to be left somewhere rather then be regained by its planters for whatever reason, or for the last Pixie Royal Crysalis to be used to make a Staff and then have it be taken to a place where Richter would find it, ect.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those would be massive alterations of the timeline if they did not happen naturally over time and they are unnecessary to explain things. For instance, the old proving grounds for the lords of the mist - which is almost certainly what the area with the pillar once were - and the temple could be remnants left behind after the fall of the mist empire. The temple ruin would be an easy oversight, a place the invaders forgot to search for treasures because it was out of the way. The other two cores were hidden underground in areas that would not be accessible nor obvious even to a determined invader. We know it takes several centuries for the crystal to reform, so if an attacker used it up for settlement points, it could have reformed later and simply laid forgotten until the goblins showed up.

The pixie was picked up somewhere, likely in the village where there was a bunch of other treasures left behind by the mistlords of old, we know they liked to pile up all sorts of rare objects like the dwarven axe, the summoning book, the metal, the map, the titan steel safe, etc. all sorts of things that wouldn't have made a difference in a last ditch defence and therefore would not have been used. Why not the last pixie chrysalis? We know some of the mist lords diden't even blink in the face of committing atrocities.

The seed core was forgotten for a long time, its part of a random monster encounter that one could see in any litrpg.

16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Again not alterations because they had already happened, it's just that the temporal effect of the Chaos Aura is what nudged them into happening in the first place, not actually altering and changing time lines into something different but helping the original time line to happen like that in the first place.

2tymes, Cire122 and Johan like this.
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paradox!!!

18. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wibbly Wobbly Timy Whimmy.

Joe Schmoe, Cire122 and Johan like this.
  19. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Riiiiiigght... And im also gonna need you to come in on saturday..

Johan likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In which case there is no suspense, no life, no real choices as everything has already been set in stone. Sounds like a nightmare