The Moon in Literature...

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Paul Bellow, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Moon on the mind: two millennia of lunar literature

The Moon’s luminous, cratered face, visible to the naked eye, has sparked the imaginations of writers and scientists for centuries. Our satellite became a blank canvas: a proxy Earth on which writers could project alternative societies and satirize terrestrial ones, and a fruitful testing ground for scientific and technological speculation.

One lunar-literature pioneer was the second-century Syrian satirist Lucian of Samosata, whose A True Story is often cited as the first science-fiction narrative. Extrapolating from sea voyages, travellers are blown to the Moon by a whirlwind. In a satire on Earthly territorial conflicts, they encounter a war between Sunites and Moonites. Lucian’s Moon-dwellers are tall humanoids dressed in woven glass and subsisting on frogs.

Greek biographer Plutarch’s Moralia (ad 100) is arguably the first such narrative to introduce scientific ideas. It contains a dialogue that could be construed as early astronomy, touching on close observation of the lunar surface and its appearance at different phases of orbit.

Yuli Ban likes this.
  2. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Douglas Adams has the last word on the moon in literature.

"Boy being meets girl being, under a silvery moon, which then explodes for no adequately explored reason."

:)

TravisBach, Yuli Ban and Gryphon like this.
  3. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A purely terraformed moon is increasingly unlikely as I study (the fundamentals of) astrophysics, but one fascinating possibility that's enraptured me in recent years is the concept of a "wired moon". To the point I've had some people do mock-ups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is still unlikely because there probably won't be large-scale colonization going on, but I can see automated industry happening.

And here's a fun question: what tales will people tell in an era of a wired moon?

Paul Bellow likes this.