The Singularity Approaches!

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Paul Bellow, May 18, 2017.

1. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    OMG! I kind of feel like an ass. lol

2. Scargro

Scargro Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This thread was supposed to be about how long it will be before Cylons take over the planet and we have to go back to using rotary phones. I'm guessing it happens at some point before we are all born into the Matrix.

I believe Siri is a Cylon, even though she keeps lying about it.

I just watched Ex Machina last night for a good tone on an evil billionaire genius. The idea of using the internet to the upload bits of data that make up human consciousness into an AI seems plausible.

Baron Sord and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking more along the lines..... You're the reason we need to start putting chlorine into the gene pool.

Baron Sord likes this.
  4. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1 Cup a day eliminates extra dumb.

5. Scargro

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Each of us has one equal consciousness trapped in this hypothetical simulation. The true question seems to be about why someone would want to simulate the human race, on Earth.

Like I said before, this place is kinda boring.

One of my biggest complaints about reality is we have no magic. This simulation doesn't even have magic! I mean, really, this game kinda sucks. Why would someone program this?

Baron Sord likes this.
  6. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    YOU are playing without Magic? No wonder it's boring to you. You have to hack your system when your operator goes to recharge. System settings, advanced, fun, magic. Just add the check and restart. But fair warning, you will restart at birth and with magic, you will automatically set yourself on a different course. The question is... will you sacrifice the life you have now to restart one with magic with the possibility of dying at an earlier age because of your future choices?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Jason

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One of my biggest complaints about reality is we have no magic. This simulation doesn't even have magic! I mean, really, this game kinda sucks. Why would someone program this?[/QUOTE]

You're special! LOL

Scargro likes this.
  8. Jason

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And here I was thinking of adding it by the Lb.

9. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Scargro Thanks, you just inspired a new book. Seriously!

Scargro likes this.
  10. Scargro

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sweet. :D

I love talking about this stuff. It's why I'm so excited about the idea of a virtual reality literary genre. There are so many ideas to play with.

11. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am serious. I just started writing off the top of my head and am already at 726 words. This is happening! Have some gold!

Scargro and Paul Bellow like this.
  12. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  13. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you read Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer? That's close to its basic premise.

Scargro likes this.
  14. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks good. We need a "Bookshelf" here somewhere with the rules being just post cool book recommendations.

I'll add it to my own TBR.

Scargro likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  16. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, either we are the playthings of the gods, a mistake of the gods, tens of thousands of years of genetic accidents, or a simulation (see the first two possibilities).

From a practical perspective, I don't see much of a difference between the various possibilities.

Now, if I could get root access to that simulation, that'd be different...

Felicity Weiss and WildAzazel like this.
  17. Scargro

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Isn't that what we all want. lol

These questions are fascinating. And given the fact that we can see and experience VR for ourselves, rather than the gods who we cannot, it makes this perception of reality even more fascinating to contemplate. However, at first, it scared the living crap out of me. But what difference does it really even make if we are digital or biological?

I've had the feeling from youth that there was something amiss with this world, that I was gimped and it wasn't fair. Thus, I sent a good long time looking for that root access or at least some sign of an underlying code.

I think the fact that mathematics can be found at the core of reality is the place to begin the search. Too bad I suck at math. lol I guess I'll stick to writing stories.

WildAzazel and Paul Bellow like this.
  18. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Scargro... still working on that book idea. It just got freagin' HUUUGE! I'm nearing 7000 words on it and I stopped to go out and work on my yard. Yesterday I had decided just to make it a short story. Maybe 15,000 words. I had decided my start would actually be the ending. Then I got caught up to that point and started writing the ending scene. But once I realized I'd already hit my 1000 words for the day and wasn't sure how I wanted to end it, I decided I needed a break. While working on the yard, the big picture just expanded exponentially. I'm talking.. at a philosophical break through type level. So I rushed back in to the house to type out my ideas for expanding the book and it looks like it might turn into a freakin' trilogy of full length novels.

19. Scargro

23%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is freaking awesome! I've had a lot of expanding ideas also. I've written so many books, I'm now trying to relearn how to be surprised by my work and ideas. I let myself go back to the drawing board a few times and start over. I ended up with something much broader than I had originally planned. I'm working without a net to let the world and characters tell me the story. Can't wait to share our work when it's done. I love the thrill of something new and exciting. It's even helping me get excited about my bread and butter work again. :D

It's great talking with you guys about these big ideas. Priceless really.

Paul Bellow and WildAzazel like this.
  20. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You ain't kidding. I haven't written this much in so little time ever. Ever since this forum was started it was like a fire was lit in me. #Anxious2Publish

Scargro and Paul Bellow like this.