The Singularity Approaches!

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Paul Bellow, May 18, 2017.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  2. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ahh. Tay. I've heard about her, but, I never did talk to her. Think she was mostly on Twitter and I haven't been on Twitter since that unfortunate Old Ones incident in California.

I really don't think that the US is going to put much effort publically into AI research. Off the books is another story, but publically not at all. The Powers That Be have put so much effort into the dumbing down of America, that I don't think they really want to push AI in a public forum. Most of the countries around the world that are pushing AI think they're going to be creating a tiger that they're going to keep meek and mild on a leash. I'm just so looking forward to when everyone figures out the error of their ways.

[​IMG]

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you heard about China recently, @Seagrim ?

They have total camera coverage now with facial recognition. Picked a guy out of a crowd of 50,000 at a stadium!

Not to mention their "Social Credit Score..."

Crazy times.

4. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They want to create the Hegmony from Spinrad's Agent of Chaos. He saw the implications of technology and what totolitarian regimes would do with it.

I would highly recommend it. Just keep in mind it's a book older than you are...some of the kids don't like it cause it isn't writ on a vomicbook level...also it isn't nice and friendly to big daddy government.

I liked the book. Think I read this when I was 10, along with Memoirs in a Bathtub.

417ER9GxbWL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://a.co/i1mHkew

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've read James Joyce, so this shouldn't be too bad. ;)

Thanks for the recommend. I hadn't heard of this one before.

Do you know my age? ;)

6. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Think you're younger than I am. I'm going to be making level 55 this August.

Joyce is something you either have a taste for, or you don't. I really don't. I prefered Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea doing the Illuminati Trilogy.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I HATED Joyce. And Melville. I dug Henry Miller and a lot of the Russian authors mostly for literature.

I read a lot of my dad's hard sci-fi because it was around, but I also did a lot of fantasy growing up.

Yes, you're higher level. ;)

Let's just say we couldn't PK each other?

Seagrim likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/how-researchers-are-teaching-ai-learn-child

It's a Saturday morning in February, and Chloe, a curious 3-year-old in a striped shirt and leggings, is exploring the possibilities of a new toy. Her father, Gary Marcus, a developmental cognitive scientist at New York University (NYU) in New York City, has brought home some strips of tape designed to adhere Lego bricks to surfaces. Chloe, well-versed in Lego, is intrigued. But she has always built upward. Could she use the tape to build sideways or upside down? Marcus suggests building out from the side of a table. Ten minutes later, Chloe starts sticking the tape to the wall. "We better do it before Mama comes back," Marcus says in a singsong voice. "She won't be happy." (Spoiler: The wall paint suffers.)

Implicit in Marcus's endeavor is an experiment. Could Chloe apply what she had learned about an activity to a new context? Within minutes, she has a Lego sculpture sticking out from the wall. "Papa, I did it!" she exclaims. In her adaptability, Chloe is demonstrating common sense, a kind of intelligence that, so far, computer scientists have struggled to reproduce. Marcus believes the field of artificial intelligence (AI) would do well to learn lessons from young thinkers like her.

Researchers in machine learning argue that computers trained on mountains of data can learn just about anything—including common sense—with few, if any, programmed rules. These experts "have a blind spot, in my opinion," Marcus says. "It's a sociological thing, a form of physics envy, where people think that simpler is better." He says computer scientists are ignoring decades of work in the cognitive sciences and developmental psychology showing that humans have innate abilities—programmed instincts that appear at birth or in early childhood—that help us think abstractly and flexibly, like Chloe. He believes AI researchers ought to include such instincts in their programs.

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    MIT Creates An AI Psychopath Because Someone Had To Eventually

In one of the big musical numbers from The Life Of Brian, Eric Idle reminds us to “always look on the bright side of life.” Norman, a new artificial intelligence project from MIT, doesn’t know how to do that.

That’s because Norman is a psychopath, just like the Hitchcock character that inspired the research team to create him.

Like so many of these projects do, the MIT researchers started out by training Norman on freely available data found on the Web. Instead of looking at the usual family-friendly Google Images fare, however, they pointed Norman toward darker imagery. Specifically, the MIT crew stuck Norman in a creepy subreddit to do his initial training.

Armed with this twisted mass of digital memories, Norman was then asked to caption a series of Rorschach inkblots. The results are predictably creepy. Let’s have a look at a couple, shall we?

MIT Creates An AI Psychopath Because Someone Had To Eventually - Geek.com

Yuli Ban likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Machine learning predicts World Cup winner

Machine learning predicts World Cup winner

Yuli Ban likes this.
  13. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The creepy AI that can predict the future: Machine that anticipates your movements several minutes in advance could pave the way for next-level Big Brother surveillance
    • Algorithm was able to accurately predict actions minutes before they happened
    • Researchers trained the AI with four hours of cooking videos
    • Dr Jürgen Gall wants to be able to anticipate things 'hours before they happen'

Creepy AI can predict your moves in advance | Daily Mail Online

Yuli Ban likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ben-sophia.jpg Sophia’s AI — June 2018 Brief Update

My main focus lately has been on the SingularityNET AI-meets-blockchain project, but I’ve also been putting in a fair bit of effort on the intersection between OpenCog and Hanson Robotics, pushing to get the OpenCog cognitive architecture’s integration into the Sophia robot’s “Hanson AI” software back end to the next level. This doesn’t involve SingularityNET extensively yet, but it will soon — OpenCog connects to SingularityNET, and so integrating OpenCog w/ Sophia’s Hanson AI control software more sophisticatedly, will make it easier to provide Sophia with additional intelligence components via interfacing with SingularityNET AI agents.

In the meantime, Sophia continues to generate a bunch of controversy in the media and in portions of the academic community, centered on issues such as “Should a robot that doesn’t yet have human-level general intelligence be granted citizenship?” (because Sophia was made a Saudi citizen last year) … or “What responsibility do Sophia’s creators have to correct the confusions of people who assume Sophia has human-level general intelligence even though she doesn’t yet? Is it enough just to post clear information online, or is there a moral responsibility to act even more aggressively to clear up people’s misconceptions?” … and so forth.

These sorts of “controversial” questions are, frankly, not what most fascinates me about human-like robots such as Sophia. As a hard-core transhumanist I see these as somewhat peripheral transitional questions, which will seem interesting only during a relatively short period of time before AGIs become massively superhuman in intelligence and capability. I am more interested in the use of Sophia as a platform for general intelligence R&D, and — once Sophia or similar robots are in scalable commercial production — as a way of bringing beneficial general intelligence to the masses of humanity, in a way that is oriented to make it easy for humans and robots/AIs to understand each others’ values and culture.

Sophia’s AI — June 2018 Brief Update » goertzel.org

17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    test no. 9

real-time video shot as data for affective coding analysis of the effect on humans when interacting with a robot-- Hanson Robotic's Sophia-- embedded with AI designed to make her communicate in an especially loving way, and insightful about consciousness, human uniqueness, and emotion. 10 human volunteers took part in the initial pilot research that took place in Hong Kong, September, 2017. The robot followed a script that did not change, but allowed her to react to the human responses and cues she was receiving from each study participant. Test number 9, "Carlos," followed a very similar course, but something very different began to happen.

test no. 9