To be 'classy' about it

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by RauthrMystic, Jul 30, 2018.

1. RauthrMystic

RauthrMystic Elf Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well Skyrim did very well and it doesn't have classes. The closest thing it gets to anything like that are the...'birth stones' (i forgot their actual name lol). Though to be fair that was one of the things that I missed from Oblivion. You even had the chance to create your own class. However there is something to be said for "rare" type classes. The author should take time to show how it's 'better'. I will say I enjoyed how Tao Wong did it in his System Apocalypse books. I won't say it's perfect but he has a system and he uses it fully.

Jay likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's true, but Skyrim is a single player game. I was meaning more MMOs since those tend to be the games that are normally in LitRPGs. ESO online has 5 classes I believe, but you're very right. The other Elder Scrolls games do not do classes and it does work for that scenario. However that kind of falls into the scenario of the "super special chosen one" which can be problematic to read, depending on how it's done. Everyone knows the "Chosen One" trope and how very wrong it can go. It can be good if done right though so it really all depends.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  3. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One of the earliest MMOs - and the one I cut my teeth on - didn't have classes. Instead, you selected skills to train and specialize, creating your own class. It allowed for some interesting concepts. It's one of the reasons I'm going with a similar system for Artifex, because I loved the flexibility. Classes seem like a nice way to categorize characters, but I find they're too restricting. I want arcane archers, battle mages, and even people who specialize in trade skills, rather than combat. It makes for a world that feels more alive, at least to me.

Herko Kerghans, RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  4. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's fair. And I don't immediately hate a story if they don't have classes. I'd just like to see a few more LitRPGs with them since they are a huge part of most MMOs.

My main problem with the "no class, can do anything" set-up is it tends to end up with a super overpowered OP that's the "Skyrim" style hero, i.e. - the mage/rogue/tank/ninja/werewolf whose the dragonborn, etc.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  5. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "I shall endeavor, good sir," said the writer, "not to fall into such a trap."

Simon Fiasco bows deeply, stumbles a little, then catches himself. He clears his throat, then says, by way of explanation, "I mean to do that."

RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  6. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pfft. I'm no expert and it's just my opinion. I have faith you'll not fall down the trap.;) Judging by your posts, you have a good head for such things and I'm looking forward to your writing coming out!

RauthrMystic and Simon Fiasco like this.
  7. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, well, in my fun little snippet up there, I changed from present to past tense from the first to the second line. Maybe your faith is misplaced, sir!

:eek:o_O

RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  8. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pshaw. That's what first drafts are for!;)

RauthrMystic likes this.
  9. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suppose I can see that. Though being able to choose which skills are your 'class' skills doesn't seem bad. Though that would require you to know the main skills up front which does take away from the discovery aspect of LitRPG.

Jay likes this.
  10. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree. Personally, I kind of like it being like WoW and D&D and similar games. You choose a class, but you get to customize by picking which abilities/feats/whatever you want. So it's not just cookie-cutter for every person; you have a "pool" to pick from, but you can decide what direction and what skills you excel at. You can be a melee Ranger or a two-handed fighter or...whatever you like! Personally, I like that as a good mixture between "You're a class" and "You have options so you can be what you want".

That said, there's nothing wrong with not having classes so long as it's not rushed. A lot of LitRPGs have the MC excelling at two-handed sword fights while being super sneaky and instantly getting a ton of magic because they found a few scrolls or something. So instead of feeling like they're building a class based around survival and handling the situation, it just rushes right to being super overpowered and everyone gasping in amazement at how cool and awesome the MC is. That's why I tend to go "Uh-oh. No limitations on anything? Here comes another Mary/Gary Sue..."

RauthrMystic likes this.
  11. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    yeah that makes sense. It's interesting that I've never really considered how closely linked classes and skills are. When I played d&d it was more about the abilities you gained at each level (even if in magic classes it was new magic--though even that changed with the idea of 'bloodlines' and 'school' benefits adding extra abilities at certain levels). It seems the important thing is regardless of how you go about your 'class', regardless of how you define 'class', ensure that your characters aren't on 'godmode' (unless godmode is the overarching theme for EVERYBODY and being that strong that fast is the norm). yeah?

Jay likes this.