Top 5 LitRPG in 2017?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Need this for a blog post...

What should I include...and why?

Thanks!

Yuli Ban likes this.
  2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With reservation:
    The Land, still ranks highly despite the drama that follows Kong
    Super Sales for Super Heroes, Arand hit a homer with this book it really helped cement him in the genre, I think this series is the one I heard the most about in 2017.
    Emerilia by Chatfield, man was a beast he finished up the series he was best known for a book every month was ambitious and he delivered, even with some issues
    Awaken Online published two books I think in that series in 2017, though i might be wrong there and it is a staple to many in the genre
    I would have added Ascend Online but the second book caught a lot of flak for not following the characters from book 1, which caused the author to change the title slightly so people knew it wasn't a direct sequel
    Delvers by Corbin, two books in that series that were well receive to follow his first book from 2016
    It's wrong of me but I think Alpha World by me might make an honorable mention as the first book was released in March of 2017, with books 2 and three in the same year, it is what made me at least a name that gets mentioned here or there
    Way of the Shaman, that series was hot in 2017
    There are more but those are the ones I can think off the top of my head
    Oh and Lion's Quest by Scott-Earl, I think he put out the three books in that series in 2017, and they are known of relatively well, even if he did step away from that series to write others.

I hope this helps

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have to agree. He may be a thorn in the side of the community, but that thorn is a little like the mold in the petri dish. It may suck, but it it serves a purpose.

I think the Divine Dungeon deserves to be on there. It's a well known series that had a milestone ending (for now), even if it wasn't the most loved conclusion.

Paul, will you be doing other lists as well or is this a direct response to the TOR article?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm doing other lists on http://litrpglists.com

But this top 5 in 2017 is for something else. More later or PM me.

5. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your right and Slime Dungeon I think had 2 books out in 2017 as well. I knew I was never going to get them all mentioned.

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, let's expand it to top 10. In order?

LitCoin to be awarded? ;)

Thanks, everyone.

7. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nope not touch in order, no sir, not for all the litcoin, or even bitcoin. I will not order the LITRPG, Paul you are

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No single series of his or book jumps out to me as a must read. They are fine books but not Super Sales for Super Heroes explosive. So for a top 5 maybe not, for a top 10 maybe. Lists are always subjective, a lot of people hate my style of writing, so I won't make their lists, which is fine. By the same reasoning though what other people say is great I've passed on a few times as they just don't strike my cords.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ok heres mine in order
    Some of these books might not be considered LitRPG by some but this is my list
    dungeon madness
    sufficiently advanced magic
    soulstone awakening
    fight and flight (Scott Meyer deserves it even if this wasn't his best work)
    emerillia

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like Soulstone, but it wasn't a must read. It was a bit bland, but I did like the puzzles that were there to an extent. I was not a fan of his other series either.

12. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is touchy. In my opinion, SAM is high fantasy despite the RPG feel, especially with the mana counter. If he wants to be LitRPG, I'd be more than willing to welcome our new heavy hitter to destroy all opposition. Love the style, the story, and the characters.

13. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree its not a full LitRPG but its an important book for those who are interested in LitRPG simply because of how it tells its story it also has enough elements for me to not feel bad about putting it on a litRPG list

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm, do you mean books or series? I am going to assume you mean series with books published in 2017.

Lemme see...

1) Awaken Online
    2) Divine Dungeon
    3) King's Avatar (though I think KA is Gamelit rather than LitRPG)
    4) Weirdest Noob (Book 2. I didn't like Book 3 that much but I still want to read the next one.)
    5) The Dark Herbalist
    6) The Gam3
    7) Mirror World
    8) Sufficienly Advanced Magic

Notes:

Way of the Shaman cancels itself out, because I really liked Book 5 and all the books before it but I disliked Book 6 so much I didn't even bother to read Book 7.
    Same with Viridian Gate Online - really liked Book 3 and the books before it, but Book 4 made it so that I doubt I'll continue.

This might not be my final order or my final list, but it's good enough for now. I can't think of any others I've read that were published in 2017 at the moment .

You also asked for why: Mainly, I read for entertainment and these books were the most enjoyable in my opinion. I like a good mix of action, adventure and comedy, written competently, and especially the first five delivered, despite some translation, proofreading and editing hiccups with some of them.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm in the middle of this series and it is fun, but my biggest problem with it is almost picky. A game company would never be that receptive to feedback to allow the sort of event in book two to take place.

Readsalot likes this.