Vassalage in practice

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could always pay taxes in the form of more skeletons!

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s what I’m talking about! Give me some more of those ole click clacks.

But wouldnt that be like paying with my own credit card?

3. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But you made it seem like you gave half your money to your partner, only to require that half back for paying for their car insurance.

lol that is a shit example.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Ricther is the Lord Of the Mist. He is master of a place of power, and the lord of the mist village. His spell covers his lands. Which are noted as 300 square miles.

When Shinecatcher is captured Ricther asked him how he can see in the mist.

Book 7 Chapter five day 141

Then he states clearly “I am the lord of these lands”

Later when Shinecatcher starts to deal with Ricther he says “There is a cave that has appeared near my people.”

Ricther: “How far away do your people live”
    Shinecatcher: “ o not far”

“The problem was his domain extended another seven or eight miles farther south.”

[Can you show me? Then he mental positioned his map where it only showed the southern half of his domain. After a min of studying it Shinecatcher pointed with his finger at a spot only 3 miles south.

Map updated Kinder settlement added.

A new icon appeared on the map. It looked like a tiny hut and was well within Ricthers domain.
    How long have you been there?]

Shinecatcher answered

“We come and go but we usually come back at least once a year.”

Chapter 58 day 144

“The elders of my village made me promise to find you and return as fast as possible.”
    “So what’s the urgency?”
    “ I think it’s because our settlement was attacked last night.”

[ Ricther looked at his Chamberlain you want to come. I have work to do here my lord. Unless you need me. No, Ricther said shaking his head we haven’t come up against anything in our lands yet that a full war band shouldn’t be able to handle. If we do we simply won’t engage. In that eventuality I will send Alama back with a message for you to prepare larger host.]

Chapter 60 day 144

[Congratulations you have found a significant location hidden Kinder hamlet.
    The entire area was about a quarter mile in diameter. The magically hidden glad was comprised Of gently swelling hills none higher than 5 feet. On each hill was a small house. These weren’t hobbit holes. These houses were actually built on top of the hills. But They still seemed to be grown as much as built.]

The two story building appeared to be an up scale inn with tables and a bar. A large keg laid on it side.

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So a hamlet is very small and that’s what the prompt said it was. The hamlet was 1/4 mile in diameter. Unless their inn is their town hall the two story building isn’t anything besides a place to drink and sleep. They also repeatedly call the hamleta settlement which to me means it’s not that old of a location. They buildings could have been grown according to The story. So the aren’t necessarily old buildings nor were they described that way. The story also clearly tells this area is part of Ricthers domain.

At first Ricther even considered it might not be so bad if they were all killed off. That was also in chapter 60

7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Kindir hamlet size, 127135 square meters in total, or a circle with a radius of 0.125 international miles. Not sure how this count as very small. Its a large village, but they probably fail to meet the requirements for anything other than hamlet status because they are kindir and no one bothers kissing the universe's ass when they don't have an outsider lord to satisfy XD.

Size of a kindir home plus hill plus a bit of space used on infrastructure such as walkways or wasted, guess 150-200 square meters (that's a big home with attached grounds in any medieval village, except for the wealthiest freemen farmers. It doesn't account for fields, as those wouldn't be inside of a hidden grove this size). Call it 600 to 800 kindir homes spread around their grove, likely built on top of older kindir ruins. My guess is the hills are really the ruins of former buildings that collapsed and the kindir just buried them and built on top. Sounds like something they would do.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    These are the guys who "lost" an entire palace that was likely less than a mile from their homes. More likely the last kindir ruler realized he or she no longer had the mist emperor breathing down their neck (aka they no longer had their nanny) and stopped doing the boring administrative tasks. This in turn led to gradual societal collapse which no one bothered to rectify. Probably something more to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there really wasn't.

9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Be interesting to see how many Cellars, Basements, Tunnels and Forgotten Ruins are under and near the Kendir's Hidden Grove/Hamlet.

Dragon and Captain BlackJack like this.
  10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would be shocked if AK ever mentioned it.

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, if it has 600 homes which I would be shocked that’s 1,200 adults considering 2 per house.

When writing about the land words have a meaning. In our shared English language a hamlet is smaller then a village. So it’s definitely smaller then a large village. The prompt did call it a hamlet and it was said to be a settlement. Shinecatcher did say “We come and go but we usually come back once a year.” So they could be more like Gypsies traveling all year and making a winter camp. Ricther did say the place looked like it was grown not built. He also told about how nothing looked planned.

12. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah his spells work in that area, but if entire settlements exists which you had no idea about, I wouldn't call it under his control. He's been put in a foreign land and been given a "magic line" to work within. He has an advantage in the area (pretty big one) but he's still just one player among many. Until all the interior "d"ungeons are cleared and he's met all the settlements, I wouldn't say he owns the surrounding lands, even if Richter would. Once he sets up regular border patrols to deal with monsters coming in (because they're confident they've already kicked the rest out) then I would consider it "Richter's" domain.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Say Richter builds up a population of 1000 times the requirement for the village to level, but never manages to conquer the kobolds - they realized what he needed and decided to dig in and resist, leading to a standoff that could only be resolved by genocide against the kobolds or at best an unprovoked war of conquest to subdue their tribes. Will the mist village remain a level 1 village even with city level population levels? I think it will. Its a system title given to a settlement, not necesarily an accurate reflection of the population size or scale of said settlement.

1200 kindir is probably on the high end for their permanent population, though I wouldn't be surprised at 500-600 kindir, counting both children and elders. Aleron has given their hamlet this space and it is specified that the war party walks past rows of small hills with a home on top of each for several minutes before getting to the inn.

I could see a lot of the hills further back being mostly empty though.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would agree Owning and controlling lands are two different things. Ricther is the Master of the mist. When the Kinder swore vassalage under Flint the relinquished what lands the regarded as their to him. Everything covered by the Mist is Ricthers domain. What I wrote up above is directly from the book. Of course I had to type it out as I listened. So I could have made a mistake. Even the lost King of the Kender recognized Ricthers authority over him. If not he would had to continue his sworn oath.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just to mention Ricther was going to suffer a penalty for having a settlement on his domain.

16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ?

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And they only had about two dozen people walking beside them bantering. That was the results of that long walk. That was a huge crowd to come see strangers coming to save them from the click clacks.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blackjack numbers: Several = 2 XD

Several dozen kindir that they randomly met on a short walk through the village yes. Most of them spotted the war party and started following them, they didn't rush over to see the newcomers.

Kindir do not normally feel fear the way other races do. They wouldn't have the same feelings of anxiety we'd have.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Chapter 73

27:07 mins into the chapter

Know this all rewards doubled and all penalties are halved for having the vassal state within the domain of your settlement.

So I guess he still does have a penalty for them being in his domain. It’s just cut in half.

Dragon likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    the penalty was the crime points I think.