Was the mist village a minor tribe before becoming a chiefdom?

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Dragon, May 30, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Congratulations! You have secured the vassalage of the Minor Tribe, Verget Kunig. You are no longer simply a tribal leader. You are now a Chief! You may now be known as Chief Richter, the first of your name. Long may you reign, Chief Richter I.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Predators: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 7) (Kindle Locations 18391-18394). Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

So before Richter became a chief, he was considered by the universe as a tribal leader. A minor tribe perhaps, because they only have the one settlement? If so could the remaining 3 tribes be closer to his own in size and numbers, or even bigger?

Johan likes this.
  2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he was just a Tribe, given the PoP.

3. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is very strange. He was a tribal leader or Lord. Now he is a tribal Chief or King. Why is not called a King but Chief instead. It is probably something to do with racial or government structure. Tribalism is probably the base structure that the Mist Village meets.

4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All things considered, I think tribe is an accurate description. There are no political institutions, no real council for the leader bar an elder council, no laws except what the leader thinks is right and wrong, hell the only punishment they can currently enforce are banishment or execution. No borders except those they can enforce by magic and very little control over the lands they claim.

There is also the issue of population, less than a 1000 people is probably not enough to be considered anything other than a mid-sized tribe or a small chiefdom.

A chief apparently being someone with vassals. Or a combined population of more than 1000?

Mister Bill, Cire122 and Johan like this.
  5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No code of laws or official government structure? There are no nobles or any other land owners. Basically just Richter doling out power, resources, and judgement.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And an eldercouncil quitely dealing with things in the background. Its implied they do a lot of the actual footwork.

One man, even Randy, cannot manage every aspect of a rapidly growing settlement with 600-700 residents not counting for the pixies. Elder council combined with a chieftain giving the occasional orders, especially during wartime, is one of the oldest government forms.

Richter needs to establish that code of law, the constitutional rights of the king to govern and propose law, needs to be established as do the even more important restrictions on his power - no one should be both executive, judge and lawmaker. Absolutism isn't really that great for anyone other than the king. Of course democracy is a joke in the land, but at least the people with power and influence need to be heard. Representatives from the various groups from the guilds over the independts to the laborers need a voice as well.

7. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know if I agree with all of that. In real life these principles are very important. Right now the MV is run more like a company than a government though. As long as Richter himself continues to generate the majority of the wealth for the MV, then he needs to remain in complete control as executive, judge and lawmaker. This is not to say that the leaders of guilds and racial groups should not have direct lines of communication with him. It is important that they be heard, and that he actually listen to their needs and concerns.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree Richter needs to stay in charge. But by clearly defining the roles and responsibilities of various government organs, Richter's ability to influence the areas that need his attention are increased. Delegation does not make the ruler weaker, it allows him to exert his power through others making him far more able to govern.

Right now Richter can lay the foundation of the mist empire as he wants it to be and no one else will be able to restrict him in any way, nor will he be stepping on any toes in the business world making enemies for the future. Once others start to gain power and guilds get established, he'll be playing catchup instead of guiding growth as he wants it.

For example, Richter should sponsor an adventurers guild, maybe even make it an official arm of the government. You really want the right people in charge of that, creating strong traditions of basic honesty and decency, instead of a tradition of stabbing other adventurers in the back for easy loot when inside the Dungeon and out of sight. Grooming adventurers for loyalty to the empire would also be important.

As for the council and guilds, by establishing them early Richter gets more influence over their formation and who takes the major positions.

9. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree that delegation is a good thing, but Richter needs to maintain absolute authority. He needs to set himself as a true monarch rather than as something more akin to a president.

I like the idea of establishing an official adventurers guild. I think there may be a certain character with the ideal experience and skills needed to excel in that position.

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe that he was both the Lord of the Place of Power and the Tribal Leader of the Mist Village, now he is the Lord of the Mist PoP and the Chief of the MV.

I think that it's only a matter of time before an Adventurers Guild is formed in the MV, most likely by Richter and Co, but just possibly also with some outside help?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022