What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Readsalot, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just started Innocence by DEan Koontz... It's interesting so far, but I'm not very far into it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Conor Kostick

Conor Kostick Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

94%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Dublin, Ireland
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finally catching up with Fayroll, which is brilliant if you can get past the fact that the irreverent and humorous comments of the MC, which work so well against mobs, are cringingly sexist, homophobic and anti-employee in a real world context.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Somehow, I got sucked into A Super Sale on Super Heroes. I'm on book three and I don't know how I got there...

4. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Stockholmes?

Viergacht likes this.
  5. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe.
    I liked the first one well enough, but the second went off the rails. The third... I just don't know.

Viergacht likes this.
  6. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree on both one and two. I haven't read three though. The second book kindda turned me off the author.

7. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Third is more like the first so far, but still out there in a way I can't explain. I am enjoying three much more than two though. I burned through Shard Warriors as well since I got KU for 99 cents. It's hurting my writing progress though...

8. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think so! The flow is a more... tempered, if that's the right word.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been working on the characters a lot - dialogue - making them not sound like such assholes. Heh.

Glad someone's noticing the improvements, though! ;)

Just about to finish up book 6 tonight or tomorrow.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  10. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When you write dialogue, to you vocalise it out loud to hear how it sounds?

Viergacht and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, I should do that more. I do go over it a few times in my head. Vocalization might be what I'm missing...

CheshirePhoenix and Readsalot like this.
  12. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe. It helped a bit for me, when I tried writing dialogue. Have you ever read Robert B Parker's books about Spenser, the PI? He had (imo) by far the best ear for writing natural-sounding dialogue of any author I've read.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had not, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

VRRanger and Readsalot like this.
  14. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Innocence started good but ended "Meh."

Just started The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter by Michael J. Sullivan

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just started Civil War, which I'm loving so far.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I highly second Spencer for PI. Have to read in order I feel.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Civil War was fantastic, it's gonna be a hard wait for the next book. I really enjoy the secondary characters, they're quite charming - who couldn't love a softhearted giant troll obsessed with cooking or a giant pet salamander? Also neat to see the real world reacting to what's going on in the game world.

I'm a few chapters into Hunter's Bond, which I'm also enjoying. It promises lots of unique monsters, which gets my ass in the seat.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Been on an Agatha Christie kick lately and made a discovery.

She has a series under the pen name Mary Westmacott. Six books where she puts a person/personality under the microscope and follows their life story. No murder or mystery included.

Naturally I had to hunt them down and read them... yeah, totally wasted my money there. Out of the three I got two were unreadable.

Giant's Bread = I litterally fell asleep. It's about a shock artist and how he got to be who and what he was starting from boyhood... boils down to him being different and liking things that are different as well as befriending (and yes I'm not kidding) a rich jewish boy that backed him when they grew up. It's skates around the word gay but never comes out and says it which is annoying as it sounds.

The Burden = Starts off fine though a touch of fae and mystic is added to the characters making them appear more like psychopaths than human. The ending however is unreadable. You have no idea which character is which in the last two chapters so you're not really sure what happened. The ending however... the ending was a bomb that killed whatever little good will this book had up until that point it was so bad...

A Daughter's Daughter = Interesting characters and very, very , very, VERY relatable. The type you met or have lived with. About a teen daughter who chased away her widowed mother's suitor causing a rife between the two. How their relationship changed and suffered after that and how each started acting out suppressed emotions. This one is worth a purchase.

The Rose and the Yew Tree = Yes I know I said I got three of them. This was so forgettable and disjointed that I actually forgot I got the audiobook! Fae girl with a dreamlike personality is waiting for her "prince" to come home and marry her. He does and he wants to marry her. The day of her wedding she runs off with the guy that used her palm as an ashtray... yes literally, a guy that instead of talking would grab her, twist her arm and shove a lit cig into it just to see her reaction. Then we follow a story of abuse from a third party's POV all while the girl is still dreamlike and unaffected by it all... like a mental patient would be. In the end there is an attempt to convince the reader that all that is a type of love... Yeah, no. Just no.

19. SideKarakterGendut

SideKarakterGendut Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

86%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Indonesia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In these past few months my internet went offline quite often. I downloaded a lot of fan-translated Japan LN epubs (which I found accidentally when googling), 4 out of 5 they were so bad I wondered why the hell I read these books in the first place--though in the end I completed all of them since with rare internet I really have nothing to do on my chromebook. I learned to skip books with "moe" girls on the cover ever since.

About a dozen volumes of Overlord was pretty good tho.

20. LelulaGames

LelulaGames Author Crissy Moss LitRPG Author Citizen

47%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rouguelike by Paul Bellow. I'm about 10% in and enjoying it so far. Good characters, weird familiar like creatures, and it's funny how the plot keeps changing. It really does have the feel of a rougelike.

Paul Bellow and TravisBach like this.